LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
A great analyst that never played football above a high school level.......
Originally posted by Joecool:

Do you think if you experienced what Cossell has and if you have done that for that many years and if you had unlimited access to coaches film and highly knowledgable resources could also learn much more than the average person or even coach? I find it hard to believe you wouldn't unless you can only count to potato.

I'm willing to bet I've seen more and read more about the 9ers than Cossell has. That doesn't mean I am more knowledgeable about the NFL but when I read mistakes he makes about Smith's inability to throw down the field, and yet he has a record of being an accurate long passer, he loses creditably When he says Smith just can't get it done in the Red Zone, but Smith was really good in the Red Zone under Raye...he loses credibility.

I think many pundits assume the game plans are good and that it's all the players fault when a team fails...or a player doesn't make a play. For instance, Dwight Clark was talking about the timing routes in the WCO requiring such precision that they timed each WR and the QB would have to adjust his pass accordingly. I realize that this happens with all QBs to some extent, but when a QB only has three or four chances a game, and he might not have the same receiver running deep routes twice in a game...just difficult to establish that rapport with each guy in a hurry. On a different team, with a more open offense the timing would come more quickly--more game-time experience and taking more chances.

Now, as far as you criticizing others when they disagree with Cossell...several past coaches say that Smith throws an excellent deep ball...are they idiots who can't spell potato as well? You are being a bit insulting pretending that all knowledgeable football people agree with everything Cossell says. Not really much of an argument.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Do you think if you experienced what Cossell has and if you have done that for that many years and if you had unlimited access to coaches film and highly knowledgable resources could also learn much more than the average person or even coach? I find it hard to believe you wouldn't unless you can only count to potato.

I'm willing to bet I've seen more and read more about the 9ers than Cossell has. That doesn't mean I am more knowledgeable about the NFL but when I read mistakes he makes about Smith's inability to throw down the field, and yet he has a record of being an accurate long passer, he loses creditably When he says Smith just can't get it done in the Red Zone, but Smith was really good in the Red Zone under Raye...he loses credibility.

I think many pundits assume the game plans are good and that it's all the players fault when a team fails...or a player doesn't make a play. For instance, Dwight Clark was talking about the timing routes in the WCO requiring such precision that they timed each WR and the QB would have to adjust his pass accordingly. I realize that this happens with all QBs to some extent, but when a QB only has three or four chances a game, and he might not have the same receiver running deep routes twice in a game...just difficult to establish that rapport with each guy in a hurry. On a different team, with a more open offense the timing would come more quickly--more game-time experience and taking more chances.

Now, as far as you criticizing others when they disagree with Cossell...several past coaches say that Smith throws an excellent deep ball...are they idiots who can't spell potato a well? You are being a bit insulting pretending that all knowledgeable football people agree with everything Cossell says. Not really much of an argument.

So your next fact would be JH holding AS back because of his system since AS can do everything cossell says he can't
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Now, as far as you criticizing others when they disagree with Cossell...several past coaches say that Smith throws an excellent deep ball...are they idiots who can't spell potato as well? You are being a bit insulting pretending that all knowledgeable football people agree with everything Cossell says. Not really much of an argument.

For the record, Alex Smith has not proven anyone wrong. Since when has he ever done something on a consistent basis. He has a game where someone says it was a told you so game only to have as many or more games that justify their opinion more. Like I said, 2 or 3 games out of many is proving people right more than wrong.

And I am not criticizing for disagreeing. I am criticizing those who want to claim that Cossell is not credible.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM ]
For the record, Alex Smith has not proven anyone wrong. Since when has he ever done something on a consistent basis. He has a game where someone says it was a told you so game only to have as many or more games that justify their opinion more. Like I said, 2 or 3 games out of many is proving people right more than wrong.

And I am not criticizing for disagreeing. I am criticizing those who want to claim that Cossell is not credible.

Unreal. Are you serious?

People said Alex couldn't do everything under the sun.. thread the needle in tight coverage... find receivers as he rolls right... step up in the pocket... come back from large deficits... play under center... make the clutch throws when needed... put touch on passes... throw the quick outs and comebacks with accuracy... stick around in the top QB passer ratings...

On and on for years, these things were laughably destroyed by Alex. Heck, most people said each year, he wouldn't even be back with the team. That his football career would crash and burn quickly like JTO, Nate Davis, and Troy Smith. That he was a career backup at best. That he doesn't have confidence and has a fragile mentality.

Just wow... Alex tossed all of these assessments in an epic fire-pit, and made so many gobble gobblers look very foolish. This made people hate him forever and will never allow for the truth... because people hate to be made a fool of, and Alex sure has done this year after year. Some people's ego just won't allow for this reality... so they will fight it till their dying breath. Oooooh well....
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Unreal. Are you serious?

People said Alex couldn't do everything under the sun.. thread the needle in tight coverage... find receivers as he rolls right... step up in the pocket... come back from large deficits... play under center... make the clutch throws when needed... put touch on passes... throw the quick outs and comebacks with accuracy... stick around in the top QB passer ratings...

On and on for years, these things were laughably destroyed by Alex. Heck, most people said each year, he wouldn't even be back with the team. That his football career would crash and burn quickly like JTO, Nate Davis, and Troy Smith. That he was a career backup at best. That he doesn't have confidence and has a fragile mentality.

Just wow... Alex tossed all of these assessments in an epic fire-pit, and made so many gobble gobblers look very foolish. This made people hate him forever and will never allow for the truth... because people hate to be made a fool of, and Alex sure has done this year after year. Some people's ego just won't allow for this reality... so they will fight it till their dying breath. Oooooh well....

C'mon McGib you think AS more good games then bad?

There is a reason why AS is the most argued about player in 49er history and its not just cause people hate him
Share 49ersWebzone