There are 247 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Cossell was on again today with fitz and brooks.

said that the coaching staff has work around his limitations.

said alex has only completed 18 passes this year that traveled over 20 yards in the air.

said he can be successful if our D and running game continues to be elite.

sounds about right
Coss must have never watched Joe Montana

of course not. I doubt he watches much football at all.
he probably never played the game
Cossell seems knowledgeable and bright. However, he also has an ego. Having taken the prior position that Smith is - in the vernacular - "teh suxx0rs," he now has decided to stick with that theme and offer limited, backhanded appreciation, rather than simply stating, "I may have spoken too soon" about his prior comments.

In sum, while he raises valid points about Smith's limitations (and most of us admit that he has shown limitations and has room for improvement), I think that Cossell's analysis is partially colored by his preexisting bias and ego.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Cossell seems knowledgeable and bright. However, he also has an ego. Having taken the prior position that Smith is - in the vernacular - "teh suxx0rs," he now has decided to stick with that theme and offer limited, backhanded appreciation, rather than simply stating, "I may have spoken too soon" about his prior comments.

In sum, while he raises valid points about Smith's limitations (and most of us admit that he has shown limitations and has room for improvement), I think that Cossell's analysis is partially colored by his preexisting bias and ego.

If that was the case I doubt radio stations all over the country would be calling him up for his opinions.

If that was the case I doubt radio stations all over the country would be calling him up for his opinions.

Totally disagree. He knows what he is talking about, generally. He also properly points out legitimate areas that need improvement in Smith's game. However, since he cannot believe that Smith could have the success that he currently having, he feels compelled to couch the complements by crediting coaching, scheme, WRs, etc. etc....anything but Smith OR saying that maybe...JUST MAYBE... he jumped the gun in prior analyses and Smith is better than he expected.

Just my take...

EXACTLY.

That was the point I was trying to make before but you said it better. ;-)

When he sees the 49ers bring in Kaep for a play or 2, he says that is because they aren't confident in Alex so they are trying to "manufacture offense". He says "I'm not telling you they lack confidense in him, THEY are telling you that by the way they use him".

Completely lost on him tho is that they ran the offense in a very similar fashion with Andrew Luck at Stanford.

They like misdirection plays. They like trying to trick you or trap you. That's their game. It has nothing to do with confidense in the QB.

Totally disagree. He knows what he is talking about, generally. He also properly points out legitimate areas that need improvement in Smith's game. However, since he cannot believe that Smith could have the success that he currently having, he feels compelled to couch the complements by crediting coaching, scheme, WRs, etc. etc....anything but Smith OR saying that maybe...JUST MAYBE... he jumped the gun in prior analyses and Smith is better than he expected.

Just my take...

Again...exactly right.

Cossell DEFINITELY knows what he's talking about, but he DOESN'T know whats in the head of the coach or coordinator. You don't know what instructions Alex has on any given play so he has to extrapolate his OPINION on what is called and what he executes.

If you are already biased against a player and you see him play conservatively, you automatically say its because they lack confidense in him. You miss the fact that the coaches just might be conservative to begin with and Alex is doing exactly what would be asked of ANY player in that O.

If you were to listen to Cossell all last year you would see that Alexs game against the Saints was an impossibility.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Just my take...

Again...exactly right.

Cossell DEFINITELY knows what he's talking about, but he DOESN'T know whats in the head of the coach or coordinator. You don't know what instructions Alex has on any given play so he has to extrapolate his OPINION on what is called and what he executes.

If you are already biased against a player and you see him play conservatively, you automatically say its because they lack confidense in him. You miss the fact that the coaches just might be conservative to begin with and Alex is doing exactly what would be asked of ANY player in that O.

If you were to listen to Cossell all last year you would see that Alexs game against the Saints was an impossibility.

This is grasping at straws.

That could be said about any QB or any player. In fact, Cossell mentions that often also and he stresses that his knowledge is ONLY to the extent of what the film shows and he doesn't know what the play is intended for in the coach's mind. However, he does use his experience and knowledge along with actually talking to NFL coaches to formulate his opinion.

If every analyst takes the bold into consideration, then no player can be evaluated properly. No one can ever mention any weaknesses a player displays. Heck, no one can ever accurately say if a player is playing well either.

As for not saying he has "spoken too soon",Alex has yet to prove Cossell wrong. A play or two or a game or two in a career does not cut it and will not convince anyone. Also, being in an offense that appears to especially "make it easy" for a QB proves Cossell right more than anything.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Just my take...

I respectfully disagree with your opinion about him. Something like that would be direct blow to his credibility. Also the stuff that he says is in comparison to many other experts and other fans. Its not like he is making stuff up or what he is saying completely absurd.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Just my take...

Again...exactly right.

but the game after ..reality.

C'mon guys if he was talking about another team..you would agree with his comments.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion about him. Something like that would be direct blow to his credibility. Also the stuff that he says is in comparison to many other experts and other fans. Its not like he is making stuff up or what he is saying completely absurd.

He also speaks with a lot NFL coaches around the league. Was listening to an interview of a well-respected NFL person talking about Cossell and he even mentioned Cossell gets a lot of agreement from NFL coaches when he talks football at the dinner table full of coaches. The person went on further to stress this saying coaches actually ask Cossell what he sees in certain conversations.

Discussing Cossell's credibility is not where this should be heading. Dude is as credible as it gets unless one is in the actual 49ers coach's film room and their coach's conversation. Now since not many people are, then I guess there's no point in discussing how good Alex is either because we don't know what the coach really wanted him to do in what appeared to be a successful play.

Is he saying the same thing about Brady? Because I watch Pats games I see his inability to connect with Lloyd downfield and a lot of checking down to Welker and his TE's.

Or is it that he only sees things with Smith?

bull-they have to fill air time, and he has a name because of uncle howard and association with nfl films
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:

He also speaks with a lot NFL coaches around the league. Was listening to an interview of a well-respected NFL person talking about Cossell and he even mentioned Cossell gets a lot of agreement from NFL coaches when he talks football at the dinner table full of coaches. The person went on further to stress this saying coaches actually ask Cossell what he sees in certain conversations.

Discussing Cossell's credibility is not where this should be heading. Dude is as credible as it gets unless one is in the actual 49ers coach's film room and their coach's conversation. Now since not many people are, then I guess there's no point in discussing how good Alex is either because we don't know what the coach really wanted him to do in what appeared to be a successful play.

Its just unfortunate on this site that anyone who is critical of Alex Smith is deemed unknowledgeable and a hater, whether it be a fan or an expert.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Its just unfortunate on this site that anyone who is critical of Alex Smith is deemed unknowledgeable and a hater, whether it be a fan or an expert.
it ok to hate Kaep Doe
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Is he saying the same thing about Brady? Because I watch Pats games I see his inability to connect with Lloyd downfield and a lot of checking down to Welker and his TE's.

Or is it that he only sees things with Smith?

You mean the guy who has won 3 out of 5 Superbowls? Ask yourself this, do you think Alex Smith has a good chance to be a Hall of Famer?
Share 49ersWebzone