There are 294 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex is helping us win games.. has the support and respect of his coaches and teammates.. That's enough for me.

Seems the same people that don't like or believe in Alex will cling to Cosell's colored assessments to validate their own perceptions.. the same people that like and believe in Alex will reject his colored assessments. This isn't complicated. I never particularly lock on to any of the talking heads. As we can tell, it is very difficult for people to take the honest road of just saying they were mistaken. Many mock the passer ratings and other stats... but Alex is obviously doing pretty well within our system if he is # 4 in overall passer rating.

Really good post, NineFourNiner..(#153 and 155) ... exactly how I regard this Cosell dude.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I respectfully disagree with your opinion about him. Something like that would be direct blow to his credibility. Also the stuff that he says is in comparison to many other experts and other fans. Its not like he is making stuff up or what he is saying completely absurd.

He also speaks with a lot NFL coaches around the league. Was listening to an interview of a well-respected NFL person talking about Cossell and he even mentioned Cossell gets a lot of agreement from NFL coaches when he talks football at the dinner table full of coaches. The person went on further to stress this saying coaches actually ask Cossell what he sees in certain conversations.

Discussing Cossell's credibility is not where this should be heading. Dude is as credible as it gets unless one is in the actual 49ers coach's film room and their coach's conversation. Now since not many people are, then I guess there's no point in discussing how good Alex is either because we don't know what the coach really wanted him to do in what appeared to be a successful play.

Its just unfortunate on this site that anyone who is critical of Alex Smith is deemed unknowledgeable and a hater, whether it be a fan or an expert.

Susweel, you sometimes make very knowledgable posts and I am sure you know a lot of football but mentioning Alex Smith still has something to prove just crashes that all down and sometimes I ask myself if you actually even watch football.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I respectfully disagree with your opinion about him. Something like that would be direct blow to his credibility. Also the stuff that he says is in comparison to many other experts and other fans. Its not like he is making stuff up or what he is saying completely absurd.

He also speaks with a lot NFL coaches around the league. Was listening to an interview of a well-respected NFL person talking about Cossell and he even mentioned Cossell gets a lot of agreement from NFL coaches when he talks football at the dinner table full of coaches. The person went on further to stress this saying coaches actually ask Cossell what he sees in certain conversations.

Discussing Cossell's credibility is not where this should be heading. Dude is as credible as it gets unless one is in the actual 49ers coach's film room and their coach's conversation. Now since not many people are, then I guess there's no point in discussing how good Alex is either because we don't know what the coach really wanted him to do in what appeared to be a successful play.

Its just unfortunate on this site that anyone who is critical of Alex Smith is deemed unknowledgeable and a hater, whether it be a fan or an expert.

Susweel, you sometimes make very knowledgable posts and I am sure you know a lot of football but mentioning Alex Smith still has something to prove just crashes that all down and sometimes I ask myself if you actually even watch football.

yah I just watch the highlights on espn.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Alex is helping us win games.. has the support and respect of his coaches and teammates.. That's enough for me.

Seems the same people that don't like or believe in Alex will cling to Cosell's colored assessments to validate their own perceptions.. the same people that like and believe in Alex will reject his colored assessments. This isn't complicated. I never particularly lock on to any of the talking heads. As we can tell, it is very difficult for people to take the honest road of just saying they were mistaken. Many mock the passer ratings and other stats... but Alex is obviously doing pretty well within our system if he is # 4 in overall passer rating.

Really good post, NineFourNiner..(#153 and 155) ... exactly how I regard this Cosell dude.

I don't think there's anyone that disagrees with you here. Tim Tebow helped the Broncos win games along with playoff games. Sanchez and McNabb helped their teams win big games.

Now, would you laugh or roll your eyes at any of those teams' fans who still felt that their team may need better play from those players? Because that's what you do on a daily basis here. Believe me, I think all of us here are probably super fun to hang out with on a few beers, but it is just a difference of opinions. Not sure if folks are rolling their eyes at your opinions and down talking to them but there's no harm in discussing what aspect of the team still needs to prove itself to be able to hang vs the better parts of other teams.

I don't think there's anyone that disagrees with you here. Tim Tebow helped the Broncos win games along with playoff games. Sanchez and McNabb helped their teams win big games.

Now, would you laugh or roll your eyes at any of those teams' fans who still felt that their team may need better play from those players? Because that's what you do on a daily basis here. Believe me, I think all of us here are probably super fun to hang out with on a few beers, but it is just a difference of opinions. Not sure if folks are rolling their eyes at your opinions and down talking to them but there's no harm in discussing what aspect of the team still needs to prove itself to be able to hang vs the better parts of other teams.

Don't you realize where your fail comes in here? You are talking about situations long gone... that have concluded in hindsight. Where does your belief that Alex will fall in line with other failures? Is it his passer rating and efficiency that gets better every year? Arrow up, yo. So what are pointing to Tebow, McNabb, nad Sanchez for? I just don't get your insistent resistance in believing that Alex and this pass offense can not improve further. I just can not support this horrible attitude .

yah I just watch the highlights on espn.

FINALLY...the truth comes out.

Don't you realize where your fail comes in here? You are talking about situations long gone... that have concluded in hindsight. Where does your belief that Alex will fall in line with other failures? Is it his passer rating and efficiency that gets better every year? Arrow up, yo. So what are pointing to Tebow, McNabb, nad Sanchez for? I just don't get your insistent resistance in believing that Alex and this pass offense can not improve further. I just can not support this horrible attitude .

I protect myself so I don't get my heart broken. Alex must prove it first. He made my year last year, or shall I say the team did, but Alex topped it off in the Saints game.

This year, I begin to get a little excited and he breaks my heart again. I never said that arrow wasn't up. I have repeatedly said that Alex is having less and less things to improve upon. He's getting close to fully believing we can control our own destiny in the playoffs, but not yet.
You mean the guy who has won 3 out of 5 Superbowls? Ask yourself this, do you think Alex Smith has a good chance to be a Hall of Famer?

You missed the point.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
You mean the guy who has won 3 out of 5 Superbowls? Ask yourself this, do you think Alex Smith has a good chance to be a Hall of Famer?

You missed the point.
he didn't...brady has done way more then what you are seeing now

AS needs to win the big one...if he doesn't then he will be forever critized
I protect myself so I don't get my heart broken. Alex must prove it first.

Well, I applaud for your honesty, at least. I must say, I really think this negativity is a very poor approach. As a fan of the team, you are gonna hurt one way or the other if we come up short. Then again... seems you are saying what I always suspected of some... that they deliberately set up a silver-lining for themselves.

1. "We win... even though I doubted Alex, I will still celebrate a trophy!"
2. "We lost... even though we lost, I can still smile as I push the perception that I was right about Alex not being good enough!"

That is definitely a way to cover your bases.

I came for the pep show.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?

Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

That is due to YAC

If you look at air yards per attempt, smith is ranked 11th

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

If you look at %deep, or percentage alex throws over 15 yards, hes dead last
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?

Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

That is due to YAC

If you look at air yards per attempt, smith is ranked 11th

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

If you look at %deep, or percentage alex throws over 15 yards, hes dead last

That just means he doesn't throw deep often. But if you look at the % he completes when he does throw deep, he's right up there with the elites. That's more a testament to the game plan in a run based offense. Run the ball, hit short passes, take a shot or two deep per game...
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
do you like like him?
Do you mean does he like him, like him or just like him?
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Cosell just looks like a giant douce

Sorta looks like a cross between David Duchovny and George "W"
Share 49ersWebzone