LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 368 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Waiting for someone to start a Cohn Analysis thread.
Originally posted by cciowa:
what is the big deal with short passes,, you pick up ten yards a time at least, you move the chains, you get first downs, you chew up the clock, you keep your defense rested, you keep the other team off the field,, maybe you get lucky and you get some yards after the catch, you move down field , you do not get stupid and change quarterbacks, you get some points,. not sure what the problem is. gobble gobble

There is no problem as long as the QB can make other throws - like intermediate and deep ones - consistently. If it was as easy as your post makes it seem, wouldn't you think every QB in the league would dink and dunk their way to the endzone all the time?

Arizona is a bad team. I doubt many other teams are gonna allow so much YAC.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
what is the big deal with short passes,, you pick up ten yards a time at least, you move the chains, you get first downs, you chew up the clock, you keep your defense rested, you keep the other team off the field,, maybe you get lucky and you get some yards after the catch, you move down field , you do not get stupid and change quarterbacks, you get some points,. not sure what the problem is. gobble gobble

There is no problem as long as the QB can make other throws - like intermediate and deep ones - consistently. If it was as easy as your post makes it seem, wouldn't you think every QB in the league would dink and dunk their way to the endzone all the time?

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
If it is so easy to dink and dunk for 18-19 and 3 TDs, why doesn't every journeyman QB do it? And often?

No one seems to have an answer for these questions.

I can only speak for myself in answering this, but....

1. I don't think its "easy" to dink and dunk for 18-19. However, that doesn't mean that Smith isn't very limited (pocket presence/accurcy on interm/long throws)

2. I think the ego alone of ALL nfl QBs (journey man or elite) makes them take some tough shots down field (throwing lower percentage throws) Smith doesn't have much of an ego.

3. He's allowed to dink and dunk against teams like the Cards, because our D is so dominant and so is our run game.

4. As this season has shown, we are in big trouble when we face well balanced teams that can score.

5. Smith seems more than willing to take a sack if he isnt' comfortable with what he sees. He should have thrown the ball away. I've never seen a qb DO THAT!

As usual, ignoring the fact that Alex is ranked top five in intermediate to long range throws, in fact, in intermediate throws, only Matt Ryan has better accuracy.

Again, critiquing him based on what you "see" is faulty. Especially when you already think of him as mediocre. This is why we have stats... so when what you remember differs from what I remember, we have actual numerical analysis to come to certain conclusions...

If you look at those stats, you'll see no QB can make those throws consistently. Hence the term, "Low Percentage, High Risk."
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Even after its loss to the 49ers, the Cardinals passing defense still ranks 4th. Its offense is bad, but not the defense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
This guy would have hated Joe Montana.

Yet Joe was rated as the 4th best player ever. Most people believed this about Joe from watching him play. Those same people also believed Joe's awareness of the game was much better than any QB. Joe also proved it by going onto a team with far lesser talent and having immediate success. Not sure where you think Cossell would have hated Montana.

He went to the Chiefs who were a playoff team with a 10-6 record before he got there. They had a 11-5 record the first year he was there. They were far from a bad team....
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I never heard so much piss-ant whinnng about winning.

If we have to dink & dunk to win SO WHAT!

Winning is the most important thing.

Amen
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I guess I don't understand why talking about what a QB is good or bad at is love or hate? Why must it be so absolute and not a description? Why is it hate to say "he doesn't do x as well as y". All QBs have their strengths and weaknesses. It's okay to create game plan if you the 49ers to accentuate that and your opponent to exploit weaknesses. I guess what tells us if the 49ers will get to the SB is how quickly they counter an opponent's strategy to exploit any QB's (read offense's) weakness. That's not hate.

It's more about redundant, repeated patterns that lead to the love/hate labels. Seems to envelop lots of people's lives and time invested. People go out of their way time and again to bash or defend. Since this happens consistently on a daily basis, the back and forth appears to be an obsession.

To the defender's credit, they are simply responding to the bashers that can't quell their redundant utterances. ( gobble, gobble )

Can be annoying and frustrating.. but ultimately, we are all pretty much on the same side.. and it does provide a level of entertainment at times.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I guess I don't understand why talking about what a QB is good or bad at is love or hate? Why must it be so absolute and not a description? Why is it hate to say "he doesn't do x as well as y". All QBs have their strengths and weaknesses. It's okay to create game plan if you the 49ers to accentuate that and your opponent to exploit weaknesses. I guess what tells us if the 49ers will get to the SB is how quickly they counter an opponent's strategy to exploit any QB's (read offense's) weakness. That's not hate.

The thing I would like a discussion on is that our weakest aspect of the team was the passing game. Now I feel it is our 2nd weakest aspect behind special teams.

However, many claims were made about which part of the passing game was weak: Blocking, Catching, Passing? Of course, those can be narrowed down further to Blocking vs blitzes, 7-step drops, short passes, deep passes, big plays, YAC, WR attacking balls,...

As much as I defend the WR's and believe they do have the ability to make big plays, they still need to prove this for more than one game. Although, I will say Randy Moss and Mario Manningham are already proven. Crabtree definitely appears as if he's finally getting a chance to show what he can do.
I think its funny how people are complaining about dinking and dunking. I'm not so sure about this season but the past few seasons Tom Brady and the Patriots were the masters of small ball and nobody said anything about that. The Brady to Welker combo is dinking and dunking small ball at its best! They have no deep threat outside of their TE either. Yes Welker has the speed to get deep but he's yac man too. Go Smitty! Go Niners! Dink and dunk your way all the way to the superbowl!
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I think its funny how people are complaining about dinking and dunking. I'm not so sure about this season but the past few seasons Tom Brady and the Patriots were the masters of small ball and nobody said anything about that. The Brady to Welker combo is dinking and dunking small ball at its best! They have no deep threat outside of their TE either. Yes Welker has the speed to get deep but he's yac man too. Go Smitty! Go Niners! Dink and dunk your way all the way to the superbowl!

Ain't nothing wrong with dinking and dunking. No one is complaining about that. I think the main question that the 49ers have not answered yet is what do we do when the coverages are better or tighter?

Originally posted by kidash98:
So.... Should this thread just be merged with the other AS thread cuz I don't see any discussion of the actual request by the OP!!!

Every thread, ever made should be merged with the Alex Smith thread. Literally. LOL
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Cossell was on again today with fitz and brooks.

said that the coaching staff has work around his limitations.

said alex has only completed 18 passes this year that traveled over 20 yards in the air.

said he can be successful if our D and running game continues to be elite.
Originally posted by susweel:

said alex has only completed 18 passes this year that traveled over 20 yards in the air.

sounds about right
Originally posted by verb1der:

sounds about right
Coss must have never watched Joe Montana
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by verb1der:

sounds about right
Coss must have never watched Joe Montana

of course not. I doubt he watches much football at all.
Share 49ersWebzone