LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

New York Giants show how to beat San Francisco 49ers @ NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Everytime we lose someone comes out with a blueprint on how to beat the Niners lol. Not everyone can beat us we just lost plain and simple.
I don't think it matters if they forced us to stop running or the coaches for some reason stopped running. Its the same thing really. What matters is that I think it is pretty clear we are not going to beat anyone throwing the football.
Originally posted by English:
Really? Like our last Superbowl winning team wouldn't have taken an ass kicking at home, then? So, what did happen in the 1994 Eagles games, then?

Big difference here is that Alex Smith couldn't hold Steve Young's jock strap. Alex is and always will be the one part that keeps us from winning another Superbowl. He is an avg QB. Avg QB's don't win Superbowls anymore.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Gosh, those first couple of drives we moved the ball well, and then we got away from it and completely screwed ourselves over.

I think you got it backwards....going away from the game plan was not the thing that screwed us over, it was the 3 picks which led to the 20 pt deficit that forced us to abandon the game plan, we were playing from behind most of the game and had to keep up.

U sure u watched the game?!
Yes. Are you saying our gameplan had nothing to do with the loss? As per his press conference, Harbaugh said as much.

Yes of course Harbaugh will say that for he isn't the type to point fingers. IMO, the prime objective of our game plans are to sustain long drives and dominate in TOP. But when we throw 3 INTs and get placed in a 20-3 hole....you can pretty much throw that game plan in the trash because time is no longer on your side. You have to get chunk plays, (if you noticed the 49ers were in a hurry up offense in the 3rd qtr!) and when you lose a LT like Staley you can no longer lean on the running game, therefore you become 1 dimensional and you get your @ss beat by the Superbowl champs.
Originally posted by real9erfan: I don't mind interceptions per se. They're going to happen, and as a QB you cannot play with the fear of throwing a pick; you HAVE to take chances. However, you have to bounce back and continue to play your game without letting the previous interception dwell in your mind. Unfortunately, both Alex and the coaching staff sort of panicked after the interception and got away from their game. Also, the coaching staff never allowed Smith to get into a rythm, as everytime he made a big play, or drove the Niners down inside Giants territory, they brought in Kaepernick for these gimicky plays which proved to be the Niners undoing yesterday. Remember that Eli threw three interceptions in the first half against Tampa Bay, one of which was run back for a touchdown. But Eli has a short term memory and bounces back and continues to do what makes him great. Also, the coaching staff of the Giants never messes with his confidence and continuity and allows him to completely finish games. The Niners have GOT to stop overdoing it with the whole Kaepernick thing. I can understand using him sparingly in certain situations to catch defenses off guard, but trying to use him this much can only hurt the team as opposing defenses will be ready for him and Smith will be unable to achieve any sort of continuity or get into a rythm with his receivers.

Very true. One thing I do want to point out is that we've made it so obvious (as if people didn't already know) that when Kaep comes in there will be some trickery/bomb/option type of play, we could use this to our advantage by actually developing sets, or a series of plays for Kaep when he comes in so that he isn't anymore predictable.

But that would be getting ahead of ourselves I think right now b/c in this situation Alex's gotta be in there. Also the timing for bringing Kaep in did seem strange, but I won't attribute that to the major reason for Alex's funk, it seemed more like a bad (really bad) game that he (and the playcalling) should recover from. What's crazy is that the sideline passes (and just about every pass) were connecting so I'm thinking possible early lead (in forms of TD's) and we get 3 points. Not finishing our drives and getting penalties on mental errors sounds like the Niners of old, but what I will say is that Eli is no dude to f*** around with. Ever since we played Rodgers we've had Ponder, Fitz, Sanchez, Stafford, and we faced a guy that flat out knows how to slice and dice a defense. He went 8 or 9 passes w/out an incompletion and definitely some of those throws his WR's made the extra effort.

On those 3 picks you can tell that ball sailed on Alex, like he just lost control of it every single time he saw someone and was ready to throw. They were bad passes, the one to Delanie wasn't a bad decision, just not a very good pass and the other two got tipped I think and ahh....

Anyway, we have just got to revert back to the fundamentals of OUR offense (set up the pass w/the run, this pass offense is exciting and all...) and everybody overreacted to that defense giving up BS late in the game, everybody and they momma knows that our D doesn't quit and they'll show that this Thursday. We cannot put all the pressure on Alex to play the same way Eli did against us and just gun it every single down, I wish he could do that, but he can't. At least, not against a hungry team like the Giants. He'll come into his own as we run an offense through Frank (and it kills me to say this w/ our WR corps) with no pressure on him to make big plays.

And one last thing, I know they shut down VD on defense but please, please find a way to get this guy involved. I've noticed (tell me if I'm wrong) that Alex seems a little more comfortable throwing deep balls and slants to VD and just think when was the last time Alex overthrew him, as opposed to everyone else...

Anyway, one loss, it was a big game, but still one loss and Seahawks coming to town.
Go Niners.
Quote:
Yes of course Harbaugh will say that for he isn't the type to point fingers. IMO, the prime objective of our game plans are to sustain long drives and dominate in TOP. But when we throw 3 INTs and get placed in a 20-3 hole....you can pretty much throw that game plan in the trash because time is no longer on your side. You have to get chunk plays, (if you noticed the 49ers were in a hurry up offense in the 3rd qtr!) and when you lose a LT like Staley you can no longer lean on the running game, therefore you become 1 dimensional and you get your @ss beat by the Superbowl champs.

I think your premise is right on. The interceptions killed us, but then I look at the first two drives. Smith attempted 14 passes. Gore had I think four carries. The gameplan coming out was to throw to open up the run, I'm assuming. Except they never went back to running w Gore. They did it with Kaep. The other problem is that they abandoned the run almost all together when they were only down seven. Smith sucked yesterday, but after that first pick our coaches should have adjusted and started running the ball again since in Gore's carries in the first few drives he picked up 20 yards. That would have at least kept us in the game and not worn out the defense.
I don't buy this whole idea of providing a "blueprint" to the rest of the NFL. NFL teams get beaten by other NFL teams all the time. It's about matchups, game plans, and execution by players. The 49ers were bound to lose some games. That doesn't mean that everytime they lose the other teams will have a "blueprint" on how to beat them. Even our best teams had bad games and were manhandled on a few occasions. It happens. Yet they still won 5 superbowls and were one of the most dominant teams for a period of nearly two decades.
[ Edited by real9erfan on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM ]
Ok Bud, I'll take it down about a thousand...
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Quitugua01:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
plain and simple we didnt play like 49ers today. Our special teams and abandonment of the running game are the reasons we lost. akers missed 2 field that would of made the game within better reach late in the game and the giants offense had the luxury of excellent field position the whole game due to good kickoff returns and costly interceptions in 49ers territory. If we would of played lights out ST and took care of the ball better than chances are we would of had a very good chance of winning

Exactly my 49er friend. We should've came out with the same intensity & tenacity as somewhat like last years NFCCG...

Only its week 6...roughly 14 weeks until a game that requires such intensity actually happens. You would really think the sky is falling with how you guys overreact man...cmon son!!!!
Ok Bud, I'll take it down about a thousand...
sounds about right...we won't win a game this year again....

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Wait... so you STOP the running game and force a team to be one dimensional?? WHY HAS NO ONE EVER THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE??!?!?!?!

Too bad it is inapplicable here.

LOL. No no no. You take away a team's best WR (VD) all game, play tight and physical up at the LOS with the other WR's, run blitz between the T's to stuff the running game en route to providing consistent pressure on Alex. Then if you're smart, you pay Roman not to run the ball one time in the 2nd half of the game with Gore and as Alex gets "rolling" you substitute him out for Kaep and 11 yard losses. Simple!

On a serious note, it just goes to show you how much smarter their coaching staff is. They even ran the jumbo package against us. Essentially, we got beat at out own game. Eli had, what 190 yards passing? He sucks!!!!
^^ True about getting beat at our own game, that make it worse still for me.

Well we will all see very soon about blue prints and techniques to sue to beat te Niners more easily than thought possible. Seattle is for real, their defense is going to try to play just like NY did and the bad thing about that is, they can. Their secondary to going to knock snot out of our receivers on their routs; it's their MO, this will bring our "outstanding WR corp" down to average, at best. So this means our running game MUST function at a high level; against one the better fronts there are.

With these things in mind I can see Smith having to make big plays to win this game, oh boy. If this comes true how do you think he will do after the brilliant showing he just produced. Our D MUST be lights out to win I think. Freaking Yahoo Sports commentators are saying we now look very ordinary with this loss mirroring the Minn loss, that maybe the 2 blowouts were just a product of 2 bad teams playing even more badly of those days..wow and WTF..

Like the players say, I feel it too; it's damn good not to have full week to dwell on this loss and get drug down on whether in fact the blue print thing might be in fact the way to go to beat a team that has real limited offensive possibilities if they can't play their game, if it's taken away by the other teams D. Not to mention G-Ro taking it away..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM ]
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
I was really trying to recall one instance where we threw to the endzone, but couldn't think of any. Correct me if i'm wrong, did we take a shot at the endzone one time whether it be a 50 yard bomb or 10 yard pass? I don't remember an incomplete pass, a break-up in the endzone, or dropped pass. Thats a recipe for disaster. You dont take shots at the end zone you don't get TDs. That clearly showed yesterday

I have been feeling for awhile now that Roman is not trying to take a shot into the end zone with a pass as much as he is trying to run this offense up inside the 5 yard line and then try to punch the ball in with Frank Gore or kick a field goal. David Ackers loves this game plan. My guess is he and Harbaugh do not trust Alex Smith to run the play action pass. Just a thought.
Giants Rout 49ers 26-3: Alex Smith Throws 3 Interceptions, Ahmad Bradshaw Runs For 116 Yards By ANTONIO GONZALEZ 10/14/12 11:03 PM ET EDT

SAN FRANCISCO — Antrel Rolle and the New York Giants studied Alex Smith so much they practically knew what was coming.

On one play in the third quarter, even running back Ahmad Bradshaw screamed from the sideline: "Trail. He's watching you." Rolle responded, pretended he was playing the deep ball and then sliced in front of Kyle Williams on a short hook.

"He threw the ball right to me," Rolle said.

After a slow start this season, New York's defense saved its best for the 49ers yet again.

Rolle intercepted two passes by Smith, Prince Amukamara picked off another and the Giants shut down San Francisco in a 26-3 victory Sunday in a rematch of last season's NFC championship game.

"I think this is our most complete game all year long," Rolle said.

After outscoring the Bills and Jets by a combined 79-3 the last two weeks, the 49ers (4-2) met their match again. No overtime needed this time, and not much of Eli Manning, either.

Manning threw for 193 yards and one touchdown, Bradshaw ran for 116 yards and a score and New York (4-2) rode that dominant defense and four field goals by Lawrence Tynes to hand outspoken 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh the most lopsided loss of his tenure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/14/giants-49ers-26-3-alex-smith-interceptions-eli_n_1965652.html
It's not that hard to see why we lost. It's not some mystery, and the Vigiants didn't come with a super game plan either. Last year Smith was pressured heavily in the Thanksgiving game, but that game was a lot closer. It's simple...

1. Stop the Kapernick "Teebow" thing.

2. Smith was obviously told to take let the ball fly a bit more. Don't. Bring him back to super conservative play and throwing the ball away and taking sacks rather than INTs.

3. Moss is an unused weapon IMO. Take some shots down the field with him.

4. Being down by 10 or 13 doesn't mean you should give up on the running game. Keep pounding, sweeping, and setting up screens, or the passing game has no chance.

I think we'll be alright. Everyone's just on edge because it was the Giants, and it was supposed to be our revenge game, and all the analysts picked us to win. It was a bad loss, but the mistakes are correctable. At the end of the day we're 4-2, and on pace to finish 12-4. Remember the sky was falling in NY last year too, and look where they ended up.
[ Edited by SFTifoso on Oct 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone