LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

New York Giants show how to beat San Francisco 49ers @ NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well isn't this just great. This is an analysis of the whipping we just took and why if our running game is slowed way down the issue becomes...wait for it; our QB and how he can regress to his old habits if pressured and having to come back. We all know he played lights out in the playoff game last year but, he was not under nearly as much pressure as today, plus I'm sure he was getting rattled when the staff kept pulling him for Kap, especially after the couple of times he made a nice play on a deeper ball.

But dude went from 154 Bills to 50 to day, so much for being the top QB, but heck it was great to be the best in the NFL for the week, and we got him the FedEx deal too.

To me it's pretty clear Kap has a better deep and middle deep ball due to throwing lasers on a rope, he just needs more snaps to get it all down. Smith, if the coaches use the same offense as last year can play very well within it and take us to the playoffs. But defenses like we played today and in Minn are make big problems for our offense. So to me if the staff wants to make the playoffs, and of course they and all of us want that; they need to calm down the style of play calling and get it more steady for Smith to win in.

It looks like last week especially, was another anomaly by Smith with the big plays and numbers, the Bills just played like crap, today you saw a different story. So this "blue print" as it says isn't too easy to do for the majority of teams in the NFL to do, however in the playoffs, if we get that far, teams can and will follow this up. The Seachcks are going to be very tough this week and at home well...loss unless we play lights out..

Damn, so much to think about after this game..

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000080243/article/new-york-giants-show-how-to-beat-san-francisco-49ers?module=HP11_headline_stack

The New York Giants did more than beat the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday.

Big Blue's 26-3 triumph provided the rest of the NFL with a clear blueprint for taking down Jim Harbaugh's prized possession.

The 49ers were built to pound the ball, and they were unstoppable in victories over the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills. But when its ground game is muzzled, San Francisco becomes average on offense. When a defense hassles quarterback Alex Smith the way theGiants did Sunday, the 49ers starter dips into the bad habits that haunted the early days of his NFL career.

The Giants have struggled to bring down the quarterback in 2012, but Jason Pierre-Paul detonated Smith on a drive-killing, second-quarter sack. Here's why the play mattered: Smith had time to throw the ball away and didn't -- which is concerning -- and New York's defensive line forced him into chaotic decision-making all afternoon.

Not many teams can duplicate the Giants' handiwork. This win also had much to do with Eli Manning, Ahmad Bradshaw and a dangerous cast of wideouts that created repeated mismatches against San Francisco's defense. The Giants played Harbaugh's style of ball down the stretch, dialing up Bradshaw's number on repeat. His 116 yards marked the first time the 49ershave allowed a 100-yard rusher in 23 games at home.

Harbaugh acknowledged after the game that "plan-wise ... obviously it wasn't the right one, and we'll have to see what the next one will be."

It's easy to blame Smith, but this loss was all about a finely crafted Giants game plan that exposed how the49ers can be slayed.
By Marc Sessler - Around the League Writer
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM ]
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest The Giants couldn't stop Frank Gore in the second half ... because Frank Gore had zero carries after halftime.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest The Giants couldn't stop Frank Gore in the second half ... because Frank Gore had zero carries after halftime.

That's what I'm talking about, the Niners can't get too far away from what they do best and expect to win. What I think we were only down one score at the half..
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
The big question to me is "What happened to our pass rush this year?"
the blueprint is certainly there unless/until Alex can prove he can make a game competitive with his arm, when the defense is giving up points & TOP and we cant necessarily run the ball 30 times a game.

I was hoping this year I'd see Alex make more anticipatory throws, hitting WR's in stride more. Not really happening yet.
Originally posted by 9er2k:

it's a fair question but honestly the defense gave up 26 points to the #1 scoring offense. It happens. Offense has to show up and match it. It didnt. So big question is what's wrong with offense.
This is retarded, the Giants didn't shut down the 49ers running game, the 49ers idiot offensive coordinator did that on his own. LOL at this being a "blueprint" of any kind.
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
Originally posted by 9er2k:

it's a fair question but honestly the defense gave up 26 points to the #1 scoring offense. It happens. Offense has to show up and match it. It didnt. So big question is what's wrong with offense.

except for a number of giants plays today, the ball has been coming out lots faster this year. Seems teams are playing to get the ball out as fast as possible to nullify our rush. Or in the case of Ponder, roll out every other play..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
except for a number of giants plays today, the ball has been coming out lots faster this year. Seems teams are playing to get the ball out as fast as possible to nullify our rush. Or in the case of Ponder, roll out every other play..

Then that's something that falls on the secondary if they can't cover their assignments for a short period of time. The more I watch, the more I think it may be worthwhile to look to acquire a big physical CB to this team, while this unit can play well, they give up too many big plays at times.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is retarded, the Giants didn't shut down the 49ers running game, the 49ers idiot offensive coordinator did that on his own. LOL at this being a "blueprint" of any kind.

This.

Wait... so you STOP the running game and force a team to be one dimensional?? WHY HAS NO ONE EVER THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE??!?!?!?!

Too bad it is inapplicable here.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Thing is, they didn't stop the running game. We were running good, averaging about 4.5 a carry. Then, all the sudden we a stopped running the ball. It was our coaching staff and Alex Smith that cost us this game.
Originally posted by Chief:
Thing is, they didn't stop the running game. We were running good, averaging about 4.5 a carry. Then, all the sudden we a stopped running the ball. It was our coaching staff and Alex Smith that cost us this game.

Our coordinator panics like no other. Stick to the damn plan.
Originally posted by Chief:

I think we stopped running the ball because our QB threw 3 picks that placed Eli immediately in the red zone and just like that we were down by 20 points.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Wait... so you STOP the running game and force a team to be one dimensional?? WHY HAS NO ONE EVER THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE??!?!?!?!

Too bad it is inapplicable here.

G-Ro in the house bro..
Share 49ersWebzone