LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 126 users in the forums

New York Giants show how to beat San Francisco 49ers @ NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Loco49er:
I don't want to see a single pass next time we play them. Roman abandoned the run the last two times we played them and both were losses. I hope the third time is the charm.

Blaming Roman for us losing to the Giants the last two times is SUCH a cop out to excuse poor QB play. Actually let me rephrase, its a cop out to excuse less than good QB play. Alex didnt play terrible in the NFCCG, but he certainly didnt play good either. This years game pretty much speaks for itself. Alex played a terrible game.

Anyways, its a complete cop out. When you look at the win against the Giants in the regular season last year, Alex Smith is nonstop praised by the pro-Alex group. We didnt have a running game, and Alex "carried the team to victory" (according to said group).

When the next two times we play them and we ask Alex to carry our team a similar way and he fails, that same group then blasts Roman for not running the ball more. Doesnt make much sense does it?

I would not say that it is a COMPLETE cop out. That game plan stunk. That said, Smith stunk worse. Can't get it done with 3 ints. I felt like everyone took that week off for some strange reason.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Loco49er:
I don't want to see a single pass next time we play them. Roman abandoned the run the last two times we played them and both were losses. I hope the third time is the charm.

Blaming Roman for us losing to the Giants the last two times is SUCH a cop out to excuse poor QB play. Actually let me rephrase, its a cop out to excuse less than good QB play. Alex didnt play terrible in the NFCCG, but he certainly didnt play good either. This years game pretty much speaks for itself. Alex played a terrible game.

Anyways, its a complete cop out. When you look at the win against the Giants in the regular season last year, Alex Smith is nonstop praised by the pro-Alex group. We didnt have a running game, and Alex "carried the team to victory" (according to said group).

When the next two times we play them and we ask Alex to carry our team a similar way and he fails, that same group then blasts Roman for not running the ball more. Doesnt make much sense does it?

I would not say that it is a COMPLETE cop out. That game plan stunk. That said, Smith stunk worse. Can't get it done with 3 ints. I felt like everyone took that week off for some strange reason.

Total flop from the top to bottom including the water boy! That was NOT high quality H2O!
Originally posted by Joecool:
It will be interesting to see if the CHI defensive coordinator takes full advantage of the strength of his front four to make everything in the back end "appear" covered.

Great point...we might have a similar matchup issue with them. I'm very curious to see how we game plan this one...in-game adjustments, Alex, the OL, running game, receivers getting off the LOS, ad lib plays, how our front 7 plays, back end, etc.

As to JT...some teams just had our number such as the Giants of old/new and the Packers, Cowboys, etc. That said, I agree. A Superbowl winning team is one that has to overcome like we did when we beat the Packers in the playoffs, the Cowboys, etc. Now let's beat the Giants!
Originally posted by NCommand:
It will be interesting to see if the CHI defensive coordinator takes full advantage of the strength of his front four to make everything in the back end "appear" covered.

Great point...we might have a similar matchup issue with them. I'm very curious to see how we game plan this one...in-game adjustments, Alex, the OL, running game, receivers getting off the LOS, ad lib plays, how our front 7 plays, back end, etc.

As to JT...some teams just had our number such as the Giants of old/new and the Packers, Cowboys, etc. That said, I agree. A Superbowl winning team is one that has to overcome like we did when we beat the Packers in the playoffs, the Cowboys, etc. Now let's beat the Giants!

For some reason, I have a feeling we run it down Chicago's throat and play it safe and put the pressure on Cutler. Chicago has practically lived off of turnovers this year and Cutler can definitely press too hard if he feels he needs to become hero.
For some reason, I have a feeling we run it down Chicago's throat and play it safe and put the pressure on Cutler. Chicago has practically lived off of turnovers this year and Cutler can definitely press too hard if he feels he needs to become hero.

Absolutely...the Giants have a great pass rushing front 4 like Detroit is touted as having. What have we done with Detroit the past two years? Wham-blocked the crap out of them. AZ went to a 4-man line and we gave them 100 different looks and destroyed them in the run and kept their pass rush off balance. I think we could have run down the Giants throats at will (ranked 24th and that's with a great passing attack) and I think we can do the same with Chicago. While we are ranked 5th in rush defense and the Bears are ranked 6th, I think a big part of that is teams having to pass more on them (like the Giants). I guess you could say the same about us but we've been run on well three times this year too and we're still ranked 5th.

Where will Roman attack with the extra time to prepare?
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Have Brandon Jacobs hand over the playbook to your team. That's how you beat the 49ers.

Absolutely...the Giants have a great pass rushing front 4 like Detroit is touted as having. What have we done with Detroit the past two years? Wham-blocked the crap out of them. AZ went to a 4-man line and we gave them 100 different looks and destroyed them in the run and kept their pass rush off balance. I think we could have run down the Giants throats at will (ranked 24th and that's with a great passing attack) and I think we can do the same with Chicago. While we are ranked 5th in rush defense and the Bears are ranked 6th, I think a big part of that is teams having to pass more on them (like the Giants). I guess you could say the same about us but we've been run on well three times this year too and we're still ranked 5th.

I also think Urlacher has definitely slowed down and cannot do the things he used to. We need to make his head spin and send some of our quicks in his area for some underneath passes all around him. He can still hit so it may not be wise to always run at him but I think we can control the situation if we make him start guessing. Would love to see Williams or Crabtree flash in front of him with a Vernon Seam over the top. Force Urlacher to make decisions on which way to go as getting him thinking will uncover his lack of speed.

I hear ya. But there's something "missing" from the Giants compared to Packers & Cowboys who fundamentally beat us by owning the LOS, and really putting the blanket down.

I don't look back at those '90s playoff losses and say "hmmmm, if only we did THIS......or if Seifert/Mariucci only did that...", lol.

Remember that early Young to Rice TD in the '92 NFCC called back to holding? Would have been great if it stood, but not sure we win the game otherwise.

With the Giants, it always seems like we have more control. Granted they are strong, legit QB, WRs, defense, etc.....but we've battled them better than any of those Packers/pre'94 Cowboy teams.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

I hear ya. But there's something "missing" from the Giants compared to Packers & Cowboys who fundamentally beat us by owning the LOS, and really putting the blanket down.

I don't look back at those '90s playoff losses and say "hmmmm, if only we did THIS......or if Seifert/Mariucci only did that...", lol.

Remember that early Young to Rice TD in the '92 NFCC called back to holding? Would have been great if it stood, but not sure we win the game otherwise.

With the Giants, it always seems like we have more control. Granted they are strong, legit QB, WRs, defense, etc.....but we've battled them better than any of those Packers/pre'94 Cowboy teams.

I agree. GB and Cowboys seemed like they always had the upper hand unless they literally had a meltdown like the 3 early turnovers by the Cowboys in our 95 run. Even then, DAL almost came back.

The NYG's just are not as scary and can't dictate to us as those Cowboys and Packers teams did.

I also think Urlacher has definitely slowed down and cannot do the things he used to. We need to make his head spin and send some of our quicks in his area for some underneath passes all around him. He can still hit so it may not be wise to always run at him but I think we can control the situation if we make him start guessing. Would love to see Williams or Crabtree flash in front of him with a Vernon Seam over the top. Force Urlacher to make decisions on which way to go as getting him thinking will uncover his lack of speed.
we need to take BriUr out of the middle of the field, his size makes him a threat, from INTs to tip balls to big hits he can still do it.

We can't just let him sit there and Attack (react)

GRo might come out passing..seems like he does this with tough defenses...which is ok because Alex Smith is an Elite QB

Oh noe's, the blueprint is out. All you need is a team talented enough to win a superbowl and a little bit of luck.....

Crap, I hope the rest of the league doesn't figure this out...

The Bears are in the middle of the pack in run defense (Yards per Carry--4.3--20th). SF is near the top. Their scoring D is first rate, although behind the 9ers. Not sure why some DLines seem to give the 9ers fits and others do not...but it is often the quicker lines doing the damage. I would think using misdirection and trap blocking may work well.
Share 49ersWebzone