There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Coach McKittrick would have been proud
Thanks for the excellent post Mac! I think the problems will be magnified if the 9ers play a much better defensive team, whether that is NYG (although their pass rushers are having difficulty this year) or Baltimore in the Super Bowl. Those teams know how to scheme against our linemen to take advantage of their mistakes. Given that Boone is a first year starter he may be susceptible to late blitzes as Snyder and Rachal were last year...hope not!

Thanks Gore21 for confirming what my faulty memory told me!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
It becomes very difficult to critique AD without people twisting in to bashing or hate. Some may say "sound familiar?" but that is a different beast altogether. That involves a track record of certain posters and the way they go about critiquing a player.

But anyway, to answer your question as succinctly as I can.

There are times when AD guesses right and is directly positioned in front of his rush opponent... in these times, he blocks very well... but..

There are times when he takes that false step and in those times, he loses the initial positioning. He doesn't have the recovery that one would like from an OT. When he takes a false step, he gives up penetration and he gives it up quickly. Alex has taken some pretty vicious wacks because of this.

The best examples I can give you.. just going back to last week's game. Take a look at the very first pass play of the game. AD was beaten quickly by the LE and thankfully Boone gave the LE a late shove to help and Alex got the ball out quickly on his first read. A nastier example would go to the end of Alex's day... the play that Alex sprained his finger @ the 11:26 mark in the 4th quarter.. This was a 5 step drop quick throw.. and the second Alex released it to VD on a deep fade, he was brutally chopped down in under 3 seconds by the LE zipping past AD's outside shoulder. That just shouldn't happen to a very good OT. I mean, AD may as well have not even been standing there.

My point that I'm trying to express in all of this is not that AD is teh suxxorz. It is only that while he is decent and improving? He is not as good as many people are clinging to. I hope stats are made available soon on just how quickly all QBs are getting the ball out. I have to think Alex will be up at the top of that list... and getting the ball out quickly makes OL look real good.

Overall, what we did see vs the Bills.. which was abnormal for us... is that when Alex didn't throw the ball super-quickly to his first read? The OL for the most part STILL held their blocks for that additional second or two. That's something we haven't been getting vs the other opponents.. and of course that helps the QB have his 300+ passing days.

Wow, great post! OL analysis is not exactly, "sexy." And when you watch the film on these guys, you start to see some red flags, positives, trends, etc. Good stuff.

Maybe Gore21 (?) tweeted Staley again and told him to get his crap together or he's going to get Alex killed (and he responded). Now he should tweet AD personally.

But it sounds like they ALL finally read your post on blocking all the way THROUGH the whistle...this time, for the first time ever, they did it as a unit. So no doubt, my tweet to them worked. Great job! Haha
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks for the excellent post Mac!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Wow, great post! OL analysis is not exactly, "sexy." And when you watch the film on these guys, you start to see some red flags, positives, trends, etc. Good stuff.

Sexy or no, watching the OL assignments is my absolute favorite part of game study.

Sexy or no, watching the OL assignments is my absolute favorite part of game study.

I'm not gonna lie...I love it too. Haha!

Maybe Gore21 (?) tweeted Staley again and told him to get his crap together or he's going to get Alex killed (and he responded). Now he should tweet AD personally.

But it sounds like they ALL finally read your post on blocking all the way THROUGH the whistle...this time, for the first time ever, they did it as a unit. So no doubt, my tweet to them worked. Great job! Haha

Wouldn't have been me. I don't have twitter. But as for through the whistle I agree it's one of the few times they have done it. Many plays alex had an open pocket in front of him. He took 3, 4, 5 seconds on some of the throws and was untouched. That's one of my critiques from the past. Too many times the guys would have a decent block then let go thinking the ball is gone. Alex likes to scramble as well... the play isn't over with him until the whistle has blown. The guys have to start blocking to the whistle. If they do alex will find somebody or take off. I'm not sure if the mindset was hey 3 seconds the ball should be gone I did my job. Side note... notice alex's average on runs for that game... 3 for 49 because the guys held their blocks and alex had a clear path to run and the cbs were down field with their backs to him. Blocking to the whistle helps in pass blocking but also in case of scrambles as well.

We are three very odd fellows...LOL! As hobbies go...

We are three very odd fellows...LOL! As hobbies go...

I can live with that, hehe..
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home