LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Odd bit of triva. For New Orleans their center, last night, was Brian De La Puente, one of our practice squad people from a year or two ago. So hopefully Kilgore will develop into a bonafide Center and will be ready to take over soon. But I am happy that our line is getting more productive. These next three games will tell us a lot about our team.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by English:
No, I meant that is how we picked him up. Guessing, in view of the problems we have had with previous RGs that Baalke may be reviewing his contract. Unless he has already been re-signed? Can't remember.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824dc383/article/niners-reserve-ol-boone-receives-fouryear-extension

Dec 2011.....4 years....

We might have to rework the contract though.

I think Boone signed a five-year, $7.450 million contract in December of 2011. This was a four extension of his contract.

He should be a free agent in 2016.
I wonder what we are going to do with guys like Looney? Outside of injury, no way he gets on the field. Its a good problem to have, but this years draft seems like a real head scratcher....
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by English:
No, I meant that is how we picked him up. Guessing, in view of the problems we have had with previous RGs that Baalke may be reviewing his contract. Unless he has already been re-signed? Can't remember.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824dc383/article/niners-reserve-ol-boone-receives-fouryear-extension

Dec 2011.....4 years....

We might have to rework the contract though.

I think Boone signed a five-year, $7.450 million contract in December of 2011. This was a four extension of his contract.

He should be a free agent in 2016.

If he keeps it up, we got the deal of a life time.
I wonder what we are going to do with guys like Looney? Outside of injury, no way he gets on the field. Its a good problem to have, but this years draft seems like a real head scratcher....

Agree and I can see Kilgore and Looney being with this line for a long time, either at center or RG if Boone needs to move to OT. With injuries so likely no team should be without seven guys ready to play in any game. If they never play...that would be a good thing, means the current lineup is healthy and playing lights out. At some point FAcy may take its toll but Baalke/Harbaugh seem to have a handle on this.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM ]
Following a tripping penalty on Walker, the 49ers faced third and 10 at their own 3-yard line. The call was a handoff to Kendall Hunter, who was supposed to follow his blocks left. The Bills, however, clogged the left side and Hunter cut back to the right where he found enough space to pick up the first down. The reason he had so much space to the right? Davis had blocked Mario Williams, responsible for back-side pursuit, practically out of the television screen. Later in the quarter, left tackle Joe Staley was blocking Williams one-on-one on the touchdown toss from Alex Smith to Michael Crabtree. Smith, who had been sacked 12 times heading into Sunday, was not sacked at all by the Bills. He had nearly four seconds to throw on the touchdown to Crabtree.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/10/film-review-49ers-snuff-out-williams-willis-defense-not-too-shabby-1.html#storylink=cpy

The article give mad props to Anthony Davis.....I really proud of that dude. He caught a lot of heat on these boards his rookie year and even until recently.
These are eye-popping stats:

According to PFF: over 8 yards a carry on runs between the tackles. In another article, only 93 of the 311 rushing yards came after contact. That's an average of 5.7 yards before they were touched.
Originally posted by sspiker:
These are eye-popping stats:

According to PFF: over 8 yards a carry on runs between the tackles. In another article, only 93 of the 311 rushing yards came after contact. That's an average of 5.7 yards before they were touched.

WOW!!!!
Trust a QB who got sacked 361 times (18th all time) to make sure the best possible O-line is built for the team he coaches.
Following a tripping penalty on Walker, the 49ers faced third and 10 at their own 3-yard line. The call was a handoff to Kendall Hunter, who was supposed to follow his blocks left. The Bills, however, clogged the left side and Hunter cut back to the right where he found enough space to pick up the first down. The reason he had so much space to the right? Davis had blocked Mario Williams, responsible for back-side pursuit, practically out of the television screen. Later in the quarter, left tackle Joe Staley was blocking Williams one-on-one on the touchdown toss from Alex Smith to Michael Crabtree. Smith, who had been sacked 12 times heading into Sunday, was not sacked at all by the Bills. He had nearly four seconds to throw on the touchdown to Crabtree.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/10/film-review-49ers-snuff-out-williams-willis-defense-not-too-shabby-1.html#storylink=cpy

The article give mad props to Anthony Davis.....I really proud of that dude. He caught a lot of heat on these boards his rookie year and even until recently.

Those 2 back to back conversions on 3rd and 10 from our own goal line were really impressive. By the way who hasn't taken heat from the arm chair GMs on here? Anthony, Aldon, Vernon, Crabtree, Alex, Culliver, Frank Gore (when drafted), etc. Dang near every one of our picks was written off or question. Not sure why people didn't realize that Anthony was raw, and only 20 years old with potential. People expected him to come in from day one and dominate. Granted I was one who thought if he didn't step up this year it might be time to think about moving him to guard but I wasn't ready to call him a bust or throw him aside like a lot of people where. I actually think we would still have had a really good right side if Boone went to RT and Davis at RG.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM ]

After we drafted him, I said to not be surprised if he is better than Iupati in a few years. He's becoming the next Jonathan Ogden. So much for the Dallas third round grade. They WISH they had him right about now.

The reality is, we can't sign all of our players in the coming years. Maybe we let Iupati walk (after some team offers him 60 mil) and then sign Davis, play him at LT, then move Boone over to LG?
dbl posted
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

The reality is, we can't sign all of our players in the coming years. Maybe we let Iupati walk (after some team offers him 60 mil) and then sign Davis, play him at LT, then move Boone over to LG?

Looney will be backup guard and maybe backup center. He will come in on jumbo packages or when we bring in extra lineman like Leonard Davis and Kilgore do now. I could see us having to let go of someone with Davis and Iupati being free agents the same year. We will probably be using a lot of franchise tags in the future. Crabtree, Culliver, Hunter, Kaepernick, Kilgore, Miller are also free agents along with Anthony and Iupati. Could see Crabtree gone. That's after 2 seasons from now so hopefully we can enjoy these 2 and a half + years. Maybe work on signing a few of them to extensions this offseason or next.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM ]
I saw the OL blocking out guys in almost perfect protection with everyone blocking guys on their own and allowing no breakthroughs most of the time and that I never saw before, even since Montana's days. I remembered seeing the old Patriots line with John Hannah giving that qb from Washington, Drew something or other who was slower then a glacier six seconds many times and was pissed when we never could come close. I think this OL is as good. The backups could be just as good imo and should be for many years. We should build a shrine for Baalke as most teams would kill for a line such as ours. Many of the socalled top teams are staggering just for the lack of a top OL. I think at the end of the season we will see many teams fall because of their OL.
Share 49ersWebzone