There are 232 users in the forums

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
deleted

nevermind... don't have time today.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Oct 10, 2012 at 5:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
People expected him to come in from day one and dominate. Granted I was one who thought if he didn't step up this year it might be time to think about moving him to guard but I wasn't ready to call him a bust or throw him aside like a lot of people where. I actually think we would still have had a really good right side if Boone went to RT and Davis at RG.

Davis has certainly learned a lot and come into his own, and is still young at 22/23, but I think the biggest step forward for him was playing beside a competent RG. Snyder was terrible and Rachal was somehow worse, and when the RT has to worry about edge-rushers as well as the inside, they can get flat-footed and anxious.
I'm just gonna say it. I think AD's pass pro still has a long way to go. I too frequently don't like what I see when re-watching these games, sorry.
Originally posted by prometheus:
I saw the OL blocking out guys in almost perfect protection with everyone blocking guys on their own and allowing no breakthroughs most of the time and that I never saw before, even since Montana's days. I remembered seeing the old Patriots line with John Hannah giving that qb from Washington, Drew something or other who was slower then a glacier six seconds many times and was pissed when we never could come close. I think this OL is as good. The backups could be just as good imo and should be for many years. We should build a shrine for Baalke as most teams would kill for a line such as ours. Many of the socalled top teams are staggering just for the lack of a top OL. I think at the end of the season we will see many teams fall because of their OL.

The OLine played really well but they were playing a system that presented very few problems...Buff hoped to get by on player skill rather than scheme. Our line does really well against this type of team because our guys are either strong or experienced. Against Baltimore or NYG the DLine will not be expected to win the trench war on their own...they will have LBs and DBs helping out.

If our OLine can do this against the NYG DLine they will have taken a huge step. If they play Baltimore in the Super Bowl maybe they can avenge themselves!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:19 AM ]
did alex smith get touched in the pocket against buffalo? Very srs question
Originally posted by pdizo916:
did alex smith get touched in the pocket against buffalo? Very srs question

Pats on the back after passes. Actually, I believe he was knocked down after releasing the ball a couple of times.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Davis has certainly learned a lot and come into his own, and is still young at 22/23, but I think the biggest step forward for him was playing beside a competent RG. Snyder was terrible and Rachal was somehow worse, and when the RT has to worry about edge-rushers as well as the inside, they can get flat-footed and anxious.

110% agree, I think according to pff Snyder had given up 3 sacks last year and I said no way. I think some of Goodwin's and especially Anthony's sacks were on Snyder. Sure they may have been charged to those guys but them having to worry about him made their jobs that much harder. How many times did guys blow through Snyder's hole and then Anthony would try to pick up that guy and then try to go back and pick up his guy and try to do 2 things at once? Same thing with Goodwin. There was a lot of communication problems as well. So glad we didn't re-sign him. Good guy, versatile player but he shouldn't be starting.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Pats on the back after passes. Actually, I believe he was knocked down after releasing the ball a couple of times.

Went back and looked at all his throws.. he got touched on the long crabtree play that was called back... one time alex had to step up and then scramble but there were lanes and he didnt get touched...had to scramble another time but didn't get touched.. most of the time he had like 3-5 yards in front of him... clear sailing... usually the pocket collapses within 3 seconds in other games... the mario williams one where he almost stepped into a sack he got hit but don't think he fell down... on the perfect ball to vd after the ball was gone he got bumped but he barely moved...got hit hard low in the legs on an incompletion with 11:26 to go in 4th... ok, like oldman said that's the one that hurt his finger... it was really awkward and could have been a been a bad one..anthony davis while trying to block him might have ran into alex as well.

So he got touched 3 times, knocked down once... i don't have coaches film so I can't be positive but I think I could see some or all of Alex every play he threw.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:09 AM ]
2nd and 10 at BUF 46 A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to V.Davis [M.Williams].
AD gets beaten badly around outside shoulder... Alex really takes a nasty shot in the lower leg area that drops him hard... not sure if the pass was affected by the hit, the pressure, whether VD was slowed on his route, or Alex simply overshot VD by a foot or two. *this was the play that injured his finger

There were a handful of close calls, but on the whole, the OL did their jobs pretty well. Alex's pocket evasion and mostly quick throws were a blessing to the OL also. Was a good showing and if the OL gives this much pass pro every game, we will win it all.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Following a tripping penalty on Walker, the 49ers faced third and 10 at their own 3-yard line. The call was a handoff to Kendall Hunter, who was supposed to follow his blocks left. The Bills, however, clogged the left side and Hunter cut back to the right where he found enough space to pick up the first down. The reason he had so much space to the right? Davis had blocked Mario Williams, responsible for back-side pursuit, practically out of the television screen. Later in the quarter, left tackle Joe Staley was blocking Williams one-on-one on the touchdown toss from Alex Smith to Michael Crabtree. Smith, who had been sacked 12 times heading into Sunday, was not sacked at all by the Bills. He had nearly four seconds to throw on the touchdown to Crabtree.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/10/film-review-49ers-snuff-out-williams-willis-defense-not-too-shabby-1.html#storylink=cpy

The article give mad props to Anthony Davis.....I really proud of that dude. He caught a lot of heat on these boards his rookie year and even until recently.

After we drafted him, I said to not be surprised if he is better than Iupati in a few years. He's becoming the next Jonathan Ogden. So much for the Dallas third round grade. They WISH they had him right about now.

Easy now brutha. Davis is playing well, but let him make at least 1 pro bowl before we include him in the same conversation as Hall of Famer, Super Bowl champion, 11 time Pro-Bowler and 9 time All-Pro tackle Jonathan Ogden.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM ]

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I'm just gonna say it. I think AD's pass pro still has a long way to go. I too frequently don't like what I see when re-watching these games, sorry.

What's not to like?
Originally posted by SFrush:

What's not to like?

It becomes very difficult to critique AD without people twisting in to bashing or hate. Some may say "sound familiar?" but that is a different beast altogether. That involves a track record of certain posters and the way they go about critiquing a player.

But anyway, to answer your question as succinctly as I can.

There are times when AD guesses right and is directly positioned in front of his rush opponent... in these times, he blocks very well... but..

There are times when he takes that false step and in those times, he loses the initial positioning. He doesn't have the recovery that one would like from an OT. When he takes a false step, he gives up penetration and he gives it up quickly. Alex has taken some pretty vicious wacks because of this.

The best examples I can give you.. just going back to last week's game. Take a look at the very first pass play of the game. AD was beaten quickly by the LE and thankfully Boone gave the LE a late shove to help and Alex got the ball out quickly on his first read. A nastier example would go to the end of Alex's day... the play that Alex sprained his finger @ the 11:26 mark in the 4th quarter.. This was a 5 step drop quick throw.. and the second Alex released it to VD on a deep fade, he was brutally chopped down in under 3 seconds by the LE zipping past AD's outside shoulder. That just shouldn't happen to a very good OT. I mean, AD may as well have not even been standing there.

My point that I'm trying to express in all of this is not that AD is teh suxxorz. It is only that while he is decent and improving? He is not as good as many people are clinging to. I hope stats are made available soon on just how quickly all QBs are getting the ball out. I have to think Alex will be up at the top of that list... and getting the ball out quickly makes OL look real good.

Overall, what we did see vs the Bills.. which was abnormal for us... is that when Alex didn't throw the ball super-quickly to his first read? The OL for the most part STILL held their blocks for that additional second or two. That's something we haven't been getting vs the other opponents.. and of course that helps the QB have his 300+ passing days.

Coach McKittrick would have been proud
Thanks for the excellent post Mac! I think the problems will be magnified if the 9ers play a much better defensive team, whether that is NYG (although their pass rushers are having difficulty this year) or Baltimore in the Super Bowl. Those teams know how to scheme against our linemen to take advantage of their mistakes. Given that Boone is a first year starter he may be susceptible to late blitzes as Snyder and Rachal were last year...hope not!

Thanks Gore21 for confirming what my faulty memory told me!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:55 AM ]
It becomes very difficult to critique AD without people twisting in to bashing or hate. Some may say "sound familiar?" but that is a different beast altogether. That involves a track record of certain posters and the way they go about critiquing a player.

But anyway, to answer your question as succinctly as I can.

There are times when AD guesses right and is directly positioned in front of his rush opponent... in these times, he blocks very well... but..

There are times when he takes that false step and in those times, he loses the initial positioning. He doesn't have the recovery that one would like from an OT. When he takes a false step, he gives up penetration and he gives it up quickly. Alex has taken some pretty vicious wacks because of this.

The best examples I can give you.. just going back to last week's game. Take a look at the very first pass play of the game. AD was beaten quickly by the LE and thankfully Boone gave the LE a late shove to help and Alex got the ball out quickly on his first read. A nastier example would go to the end of Alex's day... the play that Alex sprained his finger @ the 11:26 mark in the 4th quarter.. This was a 5 step drop quick throw.. and the second Alex released it to VD on a deep fade, he was brutally chopped down in under 3 seconds by the LE zipping past AD's outside shoulder. That just shouldn't happen to a very good OT. I mean, AD may as well have not even been standing there.

My point that I'm trying to express in all of this is not that AD is teh suxxorz. It is only that while he is decent and improving? He is not as good as many people are clinging to. I hope stats are made available soon on just how quickly all QBs are getting the ball out. I have to think Alex will be up at the top of that list... and getting the ball out quickly makes OL look real good.

Overall, what we did see vs the Bills.. which was abnormal for us... is that when Alex didn't throw the ball super-quickly to his first read? The OL for the most part STILL held their blocks for that additional second or two. That's something we haven't been getting vs the other opponents.. and of course that helps the QB have his 300+ passing days.

Wow, great post! OL analysis is not exactly, "sexy." And when you watch the film on these guys, you start to see some red flags, positives, trends, etc. Good stuff.

Maybe Gore21 (?) tweeted Staley again and told him to get his crap together or he's going to get Alex killed (and he responded). Now he should tweet AD personally.

But it sounds like they ALL finally read your post on blocking all the way THROUGH the whistle...this time, for the first time ever, they did it as a unit. So no doubt, my tweet to them worked. Great job! Haha
Share 49ersWebzone