There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Its all happened so fast, I figured there would be a small progression each season that would lead us back to this point something like:

6-10 in 2010
9-7 in 2011 *win division, lose first playoff game but still happy we made it finally
11-5 in 2012 win division, win 1 playoff game
Then start to earn respect and be a potential Super Bowl contender

Instead it went from 6-10 to 13-3 and then instant Super Bowl contenders in just over 1 full season....it's a lot to take in.
[ Edited by eamjr10 on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM ]
I agree with Wodwo, Alex Smith's sucess is by far the most surreal.

A few years ago, the thought of Alex playing for championships would've been a wild dream of some sort....now it's reality. He's a perfect example of perserverace, and resiliency.

Someone needs to call Ryan Gosling, and give him the script already!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Its all happened so fast, I figured there would be a small progression each season that would lead us back to this point something like:

6-10 in 2010
9-7 in 2011 *win division, lose first playoff game but still happy we made it finally
11-5 in 2012 win division, win 1 playoff game
Then start to earn respect and be a potential Super Bowl contender

Instead it went from 6-10 to 13-3 and then instant Super Bowl contenders in just over 1 full season....it's a lot to take in.

Yeah, I expected it to be a little quicker than that, but it's close enough.

The craziest thing is thinking about the fact that I was accounting for the lockout in my expectations.

Lockout? f**k that. HONEYBADGER!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I think it's more MVP of the team then MVP of the league doe

You shut it, you hater !!!!!

... I kid.. I kid.

Heh, even talk of team MVP would be surreal.

It's not, though... there are multiple articles with Smith ranked in the running for League MVP.

It's like April 1st on the Webzone.
Not surprised by Smith's turn around at all. I was actually expecting it late last year but it didn't happened like I would imagined. This year, he's looking very much in command of the offense, if the number may not reflect that so far. What's surprising to me is the turn around of the whole team last year. Both offense and defense. But especially defense. They pretty much shot up to top 3 defense last year.

But with Smith, it's not surprising at all with reasons already thoroughly discussed. He had the talent coming out of college. Just a matter of getting him up to speed with the NFL. This organization failed in that regard and failed this whole team too. This turn around of the team should happened sooner like 3 years ago.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM ]
n/m
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
I agree with Wodwo, Alex Smith's sucess is by far the most surreal.

A few years ago, the thought of Alex playing for championships would've been a wild dream of some sort....now it's reality. He's a perfect example of perserverace, and resiliency.

Someone needs to call Ryan Gosling, and give him the script already!

I want this team to win the Super Bowl SO f**kING BAD!

Imagine how EPIC the story lines would be!

Alex Smith from bust to... I won't even speculate on what the media would say he would be considered.

Randy Moss going out in style like Elway.

Jim Harbaugh finally getting his ring after coming so close to the big dance as a player.

So much good stuff!

I want!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not surprised by Smith's turn around at all. I was actually expecting it late last year but it didn't happened like I would imagined. This year, he's looking very much in command of the offense, if the number may not reflect that so far. What's surprising to me is the turn around of the whole team last year. Both offense and defense. But especially defense. They pretty much shot up to top 3 defense last year.

But with Smith, it's not surprising at all with reasons already thoroughly discussed. He had the talent coming out of college. Just a matter of getting him up to speed with the NFL. This organization failed in that regard and failed this whole team too. This turn around of the team should happened sooner like 3 years ago.

It's not being surprised that it's happened... it's watching the media react to it that makes it feel surreal.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

It's not being surprised that it's happened... it's watching the media react to it that makes it feel surreal.

They are quick to jump on the hype train. Right now it's on Smith. Remember Aaron Rodgers... yeah him. Those media whores.
Not really, and maybe its rampant homer-ism, but I always felt the team was better than our record showed, particularly in 2009 and 2010. The number of close games we lost and moral victories we could hang our hats on never failed to give me confidence moving forward that the pieces would eventually fall into place.
Yes and No.
No, because I grew up with them through 80' Bill, 90' Siefer and 00' Mariucci.
Yes, because how fast it has happen and fortunate that they did, My son is a Niner fan couse of me but was really started seeing them as loosers, but now he understands my excitement and love for the team I grew up with
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
They are quick to jump on the hype train. Right now it's on Smith. Remember Aaron Rodgers... yeah him. Those media whores.

Eye no, rite?
I still can't believe we got Harbaugh!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Not at all. I knew we had a good team, and believed that with good coaching brought in we would turn this sucker around quickly.

Not at all?! Come on, even if you had faith a good coaching regime could turn things around, you're telling me you weren't the least bit shocked when this team sprinted into the playoffs, knocked off the Saints in a historic playoff game, and came within a play or two of the Super Bowl?

More complicated an answer... Let me just say this... ( in my best Singletary impression )...

In August of last season, I predicted a 9 or 10 win season and a trip to the first level of playoffs (and perhaps a win before getting bounced). They did exceed those expectations but not to a surreal level.. for me.

This season, my prediction was 10 or 11 wins... I think after these two weeks, they again will now surpass my expectations... but this time, I see us taking it all.

So no.. not surreal for me. Just my belief and optimism rewarded (so far).

you must have won a lot money in the sports book.

I'm still in shock...from the years past of sitting in my seat drinking my self belligerent as Randy Quaid in Major league...to last year getting sobered with every win, but afraid of relapse of years prior to return....but it didn't. (TY Jimmy H)

Now, now not needing to drink like a fish to bare a game. It is once again a great time to be in the stands as it seem so long ago ..surreal !

Nah, I don't gamble. Used to have to drink also to watch the dark days of Niners ball though. Now I just drink to use it as an excuse to run around naked and be too incoherent for a real conversation with the little lady.

COMPLETELY AGREE about having to drink myself into a stupor watching the games during "the dark ages" 03-10. My god, I used to just get thoroughly waxed. And wins were so rare then that I remember feeling like we had just won a playoff game after knocking Denver outta postseason contention in 2006 during our last game.
I still can't believe we grot Harbaugh