LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Just curious what the general consensus is on this.

After almost a decade (which felt like a lifetime) of miserable football, I sometimes still feel like the 49ers' return to prominence is a shock to me.

Being so bad, for so long, and then to have a turnaround like they did in 2011; it just still leaves me stunned. I understand that the talent had been building for a while and that Harbaugh and company are a rock solid coaching unit, but I almost just got used to the 49ers being hopeless. There really was a time where there didn't seem to be a light at the end of that tunnel.

That said, I have yet to (and will not) take their recent success for granted. I don't think anyone can take it for granted after what we've been through as fans.

The games are back to being fun and I really can't seem to wipe the smile off my face. Whether it's watching a highlight, during the game, or just reading about them online, it's a constant reminder that this is how I grew to love 49ers football in the first place.

Enough of my rambling, in a nutshell, I'm just beyond ecstatic that this team is finally back!
Once we get the 6th, then we are really back!

But I hear ya pal!
I feel the same way. Lets keep in rolling against sota this weekend. Hate the NFC NORTH!!!!!!!
last season felt surreal.

this season feels like we should kick every other teams a*s.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Once we get the 6th, then we are really back!

But I hear ya pal!

Absolutely, not putting the cart before the horse--especially with so much of 2012 left to go. But even just based on 2011, it's dumbfounding that this team went from a laughing stock to the bully on the block.
It's just great being able to read and watch the postgame stuff now because usually were on the winning end. Long gone are the weeks where I would steer clear of football all week after another crushing loss.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
last season felt surreal.

this season feels like we should kick every other teams a*s.

Agreed. I feel the same. But it still just floors me that I'm back in that mentality as a fan, after having the team kick mud in my face for 8 years.
  • Jiks
I was thinking the other day how it's been such a long time since I've looked at this team and said "Hey we should beat these guys on Sunday." Sure I've always felt we "could," but going into most games it was still somewhat of a toss-up in my mind. Now we face a good team like the Lions and the thought process is we are the better team so we should win. Haven't really felt that confident since the early 2000's.

So yeah, it's definitely surreal.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM ]
Not at all. I knew we had a good team, and believed that with good coaching brought in we would turn this sucker around quickly.
Originally posted by sk8052:
It's just great being able to read and watch the postgame stuff now because usually were on the winning end. Long gone are the weeks where I would steer clear of football all week after another crushing loss.

Key words being "crushing loss". That was the other thing about back then. It was rarely just a flat out loss. They'd have to toy with your emotions and make each loss as excruciating as possible. Whether it was climbing back in the game only to give it away, or starting with a lead and blowing it, the team almost lived to torture us then!

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not at all. I knew we had a good team, and believed that with good coaching brought in we would turn this sucker around quickly.

Not at all?! Come on, even if you had faith a good coaching regime could turn things around, you're telling me you weren't the least bit shocked when this team sprinted into the playoffs, knocked off the Saints in a historic playoff game, and came within a play or two of the Super Bowl?

As usual we are of the same mind...
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Not at all?! Come on, even if you had faith a good coaching regime could turn things around, you're telling me you weren't the least bit shocked when this team sprinted into the playoffs, knocked off the Saints in a historic playoff game, and came within a play or two of the Super Bowl?

More complicated an answer... Let me just say this... ( in my best Singletary impression )...

In August of last season, I predicted a 9 or 10 win season and a trip to the first level of playoffs (and perhaps a win before getting bounced). They did exceed those expectations but not to a surreal level.. for me.

This season, my prediction was 10 or 11 wins... I think after these two weeks, they again will now surpass my expectations... but this time, I see us taking it all.

So no.. not surreal for me. Just my belief and optimism rewarded (so far).
Last year was a jaw-dropper, but certainly not this year.
I'm surprised that we went from doormat to if we lose a game it must be a fix.

So yes it's surreal.
Share 49ersWebzone