There are 159 users in the forums

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
It amazes that JH is winning with the same players that were previously losers with other coaches.
Originally posted by susweel:
It amazes that JH is winning with the same players that were previously losers with other coaches.

Harbaugh is a real coach that understands his job is to put the players in the best position to succeed that he can. We have had talented people for the past three years, but no one to coach them until Harbaugh.
Feels like it was meant to be, a long time coming
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not at all. I knew we had a good team, and believed that with good coaching brought in we would turn this sucker around quickly.

whis is exactly why those last couple of losing seasons hurt so bad - because I felt like it should have/could have been so much better than it was. You could see the fight in the team and the potential, it just needed a staff that could put the tools to use.

That being said, I still get nearvous about each game (even this game coming up against the Vikes) and am just waiting for one of those "return to reality" moments. Like a dog that's been beaten for so long - I want to trust in this, and I'm sure I will, but right now I'm still afraid of getting too comfortable and getting smacked down again!!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Harbaugh is a real coach that understands his job is to put the players in the best position to succeed that he can. We have had talented people for the past three years, but no one to coach them until Harbaugh.

and to add to this, these coaches actually know how to make in-game adjustments to what is working and what isn't. That's huge! That is the... THE.. # 1 reason for why Drew Brees is struggling so much right now.

( F**k the Saints.. but jus sayin' )
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Not at all. I knew we had a good team, and believed that with good coaching brought in we would turn this sucker around quickly.

Not at all?! Come on, even if you had faith a good coaching regime could turn things around, you're telling me you weren't the least bit shocked when this team sprinted into the playoffs, knocked off the Saints in a historic playoff game, and came within a play or two of the Super Bowl?

More complicated an answer... Let me just say this... ( in my best Singletary impression )...

In August of last season, I predicted a 9 or 10 win season and a trip to the first level of playoffs (and perhaps a win before getting bounced). They did exceed those expectations but not to a surreal level.. for me.

This season, my prediction was 10 or 11 wins... I think after these two weeks, they again will now surpass my expectations... but this time, I see us taking it all.

So no.. not surreal for me. Just my belief and optimism rewarded (so far).

you must have won a lot money in the sports book.

I'm still in shock...from the years past of sitting in my seat drinking my self belligerent as Randy Quaid in Major league...to last year getting sobered with every win, but afraid of relapse of years prior to return....but it didn't. (TY Jimmy H)

Now, now not needing to drink like a fish to bare a game. It is once again a great time to be in the stands as it seem so long ago ..surreal !
Originally posted by d49izme:

whis is exactly why those last couple of losing seasons hurt so bad - because I felt like it should have/could have been so much better than it was. You could see the fight in the team and the potential, it just needed a staff that could put the tools to use.

That being said, I still get nearvous about each game (even this game coming up against the Vikes) and am just waiting for one of those "return to reality" moments. Like a dog that's been beaten for so long - I want to trust in this, and I'm sure I will, but right now I'm still afraid of getting too comfortable and getting smacked down again!!

Agree with the first two lines...

For the latter part... I get nervous before each game as well. But it isn't because I think we "return to reality".. The reality is that we are a very good, balanced team. But it can also be reality that a team comes out every now and then and completely craps themselves all over the field. It happens. Any team can have a momentary collapse.

... so there is that.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Not at all?! Come on, even if you had faith a good coaching regime could turn things around, you're telling me you weren't the least bit shocked when this team sprinted into the playoffs, knocked off the Saints in a historic playoff game, and came within a play or two of the Super Bowl?

More complicated an answer... Let me just say this... ( in my best Singletary impression )...

In August of last season, I predicted a 9 or 10 win season and a trip to the first level of playoffs (and perhaps a win before getting bounced). They did exceed those expectations but not to a surreal level.. for me.

This season, my prediction was 10 or 11 wins... I think after these two weeks, they again will now surpass my expectations... but this time, I see us taking it all.

So no.. not surreal for me. Just my belief and optimism rewarded (so far).

you must have won a lot money in the sports book.

I'm still in shock...from the years past of sitting in my seat drinking my self belligerent as Randy Quaid in Major league...to last year getting sobered with every win, but afraid of relapse of years prior to return....but it didn't. (TY Jimmy H)

Now, now not needing to drink like a fish to bare a game. It is once again a great time to be in the stands as it seem so long ago ..surreal !

Nah, I don't gamble. Used to have to drink also to watch the dark days of Niners ball though. Now I just drink to use it as an excuse to run around naked and be too incoherent for a real conversation with the little lady.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

We want winners... so lame, i hope he realize how stupid he looks now
Nah, I don't gamble. Used to have to drink also to watch the dark days of Niners ball though. Now I just drink to use it as an excuse to run around naked and be too incoherent for a real conversation with the little lady.

dude, your scurring me

No I am just a bandwagon fan who jumped aboard only when they got good. As soon as they suck again this team is dead to me.

Kidding. Yes very surreal especially how quick it happened. I thought Harbaugh was the guy to do it I just expected it to take a few years. Yes surprised me big time.
Originally posted by d49izme:

Agree with the first two lines...

For the latter part... I get nervous before each game as well. But it isn't because I think we "return to reality".. The reality is that we are a very good, balanced team. But it can also be reality that a team comes out every now and then and completely craps themselves all over the field. It happens. Any team can have a momentary collapse.

... so there is that.

In addition, we're still in virgin territory regarding the development of habits that most good teams possess, like beating the teams you're supposed to beat and taking them out of the game early by pouncing on them and whipping the snot out of them in the first half.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I wouldn't say I'm surprised that the team is having success. I expected that to happen after Harbaugh was hired. I was very confident that he would fix the team... I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

The thing that I find a bit surreal is how much praise the team is getting in the media.

The defense is considered the best in the league by almost everyone. It's not even really debated... it's like the defense is at that level where nobody questions it. I think 49ers fans question it more than most journalists do.

Then there's the power rankings where it seems like only one guy out of a dozen will ever rank them second place instead of first.

The most surreal thing by far is seeing Alex Smith ranked in the running for League MVP. Not just from one source, but multi0ple sources.

It's f**king bizarro world!
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I wouldn't say I'm surprised that the team is having success. I expected that to happen after Harbaugh was hired. I was very confident that he would fix the team... I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

The thing that I find a bit surreal is how much praise the team is getting in the media.

The defense is considered the best in the league by almost everyone. It's not even really debated... it's like the defense is at that level where nobody questions it. I think 49ers fans question it more than most journalists do.

Then there's the power rankings where it seems like only one guy out of a dozen will ever rank them second place instead of first.

The most surreal thing by far is seeing Alex Smith ranked in the running for League MVP. Not just from one source, but multi0ple sources.

It's f**king bizarro world!

I think it's more MVP of the team then MVP of the league doe
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I think it's more MVP of the team then MVP of the league doe

You shut it, you hater !!!!!

... I kid.. I kid.
Share 49ersWebzone