There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Peyton have been a better fit than Alex?

Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Alex Smith is Best....Why? Because He's with the Niners and Manning went to Denver

Even the foreigner sees the logic.

Even if Minning

What if this guy had made it......
As long as Ty Law isn't playing defense I'd take Manning any day.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Would Blain Gabbert be a better fit then Aaron Rogers?
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
But when A kills our cap, it's an even easier choice.

You can have the cap space, but I'd rather have the Superbowl and let Kaep develop behind one of the great.
Originally posted by strickac:

You can have the cap space, but I'd rather have the Superbowl and let Kaep develop behind one of the great.

Spoken like someone that has no understanding of the salary cap or what is best for the team. So who are you gonna let walk to pay Manning? Not giving him a huge chunk of our salary cap means we will still have most of our players that make this team a legit contender. So while Manning, who I have been a fan of since his days at UT, might be a better player, he would've cost too much and would've hurt the teams ability to win in the long run. With the pass blocking issues we have there is no guaranteeing that Manning could finish the season much less win a Superbowl. Risk outweighed reward and the coaches made the right decision for the TEAM.

On a side note, Oscar I love ya for what you and Webbie and everyone else do to provide the best Niner fansite by far, but this is a poor choice for a thread subject and would have been locked up if one of us had posted it. It is a moot point and has a potential for high drama, as can already be seen on previous pages.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:23 AM ]
When B can't hold A's jockstrap, it's an easy choice.

yeah this is the illustration of the thinking that I was talking about. No doubt Peyton is a better QB (barring injury issues this season and assuming he is all the way back) but that doesn't make him a better fit. Some people seem unable to divorce the two ideas.

I think there are good arguments that Peyton would be just as good of (or better, really)a fit as Alex for the current team for 1 year, but I don't think the same is true if we assume both stay with the team over a 3 year period.

Edit: I know some people are upset about this thread topic, but personally, I think it is a really interesting idea. Could it have gone in the AS thread? yeah probably, but if people are mature about it I think this is the kind of interesting hypothetical that Football nerds can really get into.
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:43 AM ]
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Chief:
A mod made this thread?

Yup. To talk about what we discussed on the podcast. We chose the topic because one of the story lines was how much better Peyton looked than Smith so we decided to discuss whether Manning would have really been a better fit.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Spoken like someone that has no understanding of the salary cap or what is best for the team. So who are you gonna let walk to pay Manning? Not giving him a huge chunk of our salary cap means we will still have most of our players that make this team a legit contender. So while Manning, who I have been a fan of since his days at UT, might be a better player, he would've cost too much and would've hurt the teams ability to win in the long run. With the pass blocking issues we have there is no guaranteeing that Manning could finish the season much less win a Superbowl. Risk outweighed reward and the coaches made the right decision for the TEAM.

On a side note, Oscar I love ya for what you and Webbie and everyone else do to provide the best Niner fansite by far, but this is a poor choice for a thread subject and would have been locked up if one of us had posted it. It is a moot point and has a potential for high drama, as can already be seen on previous pages.

I appreciate the feedback, Memphis. I started it as a separate thread because of the fact that it's intended to be an extension of the discussion we have in the podcast. The reason mods (and users, really) get frustrated with the Alex Smith argument is that people start attacking one another over it. And, just like religion or politics, it all comes down to what you believe: He's good or he sucks.

This isn't really meant to be a discussion about Alex's overall quality as a QB, of if he's a better QB than Manning. It's really a discussion about how different QBs can be built for different systems and the Smith/Manning lens is one way to look at the question. People who think this is about how good Smith is miss the point. I think we can raise the discussion level about something like this and really engage about how sometimes a QB and a HC/System will really fit well together.

Would a different thread title have affected the understanding of that point? Yeah, you're probably right. But I also think, as many people here have tried to do, we have a chance to raise the level of discourse about topics like this. If we are able to do that, then we won't have to issue those, "Move on" warnings about topics. There's a reason people have dedicated THOUSANDS of thread pages to Alex Smith - they want to talk about it. The problem is always in the how they engage in that discussion.
How many of the elite QBs in the salary-cap era have had dominant defenses to go along with them?

And if it's as many as I think it is, could there be a correllation there?
Originally posted by ninermedic:
How many of the elite QBs in the salary-cap era have had dominant defenses to go along with them?

And if it's as many as I think it is, could there be a correllation there?

I applaud the mods for creating the thread, it really isnt black and white, i dont know why people complain about them dividing etc, in the As thread all the Alex supporters can be just as bad as people who are hyper critical, so don't act like the board is not separated already on subjects like these. We can speak like grown men about a subject that is controversial in these parts. this topic actually separates from whos the better Qb and gives us a chance to look at salary cap, our OL, our defense, and how each Qb would fit within our organization.

Also we can look at Peyton's pre snap ability and his general barking at his Offensive lineman to get them to protect, i have seen him do wonders with his linemen, one of the best to adjust to defenses so i think he would have been fine behind our OL, i just dont know enough to say if his neck is ok, but Parys landed with his weight on him one time and he got back up, BUT would that be the case after repeated attempts to knock him out of games. I dont know.

And we may have been able to structure it so we kept most of our D pieces this year but what about long run, we could build through drafts etc, i dont think its always a death sentence to not be able to sign all your players, but we have got some players on D that most of us are attached to after a phenomenal season of Defense prowess. SO i think a lot of us feel like man we finally had a great year lets not change a damn thing, but in this league soemtimes you have to change, so i think in short it would have been more risk to sign Manning, and it was safer to keep the band together for seasons to come with Alex and possibly Kaep later,

The full answer is yet to be seen though as to who would fit better, right now i feel comfortable with Alex, but if our Offense does not improve and we suffer on D for one or more reasons, hindsight might say it would have been great to get the prolific passer here. If we have another top notch season i wont feel bad one way or the other about it, but having the potential to have that HOF bound Qb on our team did excite me, but it always felt like it would not happen, so i am content with how it worked out, we are still a pick by many to be in the SB and one if not the best roster top to bottom, so lets hope they go earn their keep.

Yeah what would they have done if they let guys walk paid Peyton and then he goes down with a neck injury week 1? Very real possibility.
Originally posted by Oscar:

I appreciate the feedback, Memphis. I started it as a separate thread because of the fact that it's intended to be an extension of the discussion we have in the podcast. The reason mods (and users, really) get frustrated with the Alex Smith argument is that people start attacking one another over it. And, just like religion or politics, it all comes down to what you believe: He's good or he sucks.

This isn't really meant to be a discussion about Alex's overall quality as a QB, of if he's a better QB than Manning. It's really a discussion about how different QBs can be built for different systems and the Smith/Manning lens is one way to look at the question. People who think this is about how good Smith is miss the point. I think we can raise the discussion level about something like this and really engage about how sometimes a QB and a HC/System will really fit well together.

Would a different thread title have affected the understanding of that point? Yeah, you're probably right. But I also think, as many people here have tried to do, we have a chance to raise the level of discourse about topics like this. If we are able to do that, then we won't have to issue those, "Move on" warnings about topics. There's a reason people have dedicated THOUSANDS of thread pages to Alex Smith - they want to talk about it. The problem is always in the how they engage in that discussion.

Or if they even understand the question asked, for that matter.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
As long as Ty Law isn't playing defense I'd take Manning any day.

Lulz. Epic.