There are 324 users in the forums

Would Peyton have been a better fit than Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
In a nut shell I think that Harbaugh and Alex Smith are the perfect Head Coach/QB combo because Harbaugh can control every detail of the game, including when to go deep. Richard thinks that you need to get the best players, regardless of scheme.

What do you think?

Listen via iTunes

Listen on the Web
i cant believe that question was asked
yes.
I'm sure Harbaugh and Peyton could work out their differences, but it doesn't matter now anyway.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Aug 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Yerp
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Only a QB with a proven track record is justified to fight over control of an offense with a coach as accomplished as Harbaugh. That person isn't Alex Smith.
[ Edited by BobS on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
My only worry would have been:

Denver O-line > 49ers O-line

I still worry about pass protection.

Other than that... Peyton is just a better QB than Alex. I think that's something we can all agree on.

I guess there's the money issue, too. Lulz.
This thread usually would have been locked ...just saying
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Payton is a future HOFer and Alex is Alex so yes.
Can't speak too much about Manning cuz I don't follow him like I do with Niners players. He seems to have given control of the offense more than any other qb because he's capable. Looks like he's doing the same thing with Denver. I agree that Harbaugh/Roman may not give up most control to Manning in this regard.

With Alex Smith you get almost the total opposite. A lot have been said about Smith, including he's a coach killer. But in all seriousness he's actually a coach's dream. From the time he was a draft prospect to now, his character has always been to do what the coaches tell you --even if it means he may not understand or like what they want him to do. He's a soldier.

Different ways but I think we can win with either one. Taking into account the dynamic of the coaches and the team, I'd would rather take Smith. Talent wise he's not on the level of Manning but going by last year he's pretty good also and still has room to improve.

• fly15
  • Veteran
Way better
Originally posted by captain_planet:

Is that a llama or an alpaca?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
My only worry would have been:

Denver O-line > 49ers O-line

I still worry about pass protection.

Other than that... Peyton is just a better QB than Alex. I think that's something we can all agree on.

I guess there's the money issue, too. Lulz.

This. Alex is more mobile and with the way the line pass protects, that's a vauable asset. Not sure Peyton would last a season unless the line improved dramatically.
I don't think there's even a question about this. Manning is one of the greatest of the all time.
Share 49ersWebzone