There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

The Eagles might be a good fit for Johnson...after Mike Vick, their backups don't seem that impressive....heck the main Eagles site doesn't even list a 2nd string QB, just the 3rd one in Kafka.
Originally posted by kush:
I agree Tolzien is the perfect backup but I disagree on assuming Kaeps only positive influence in games will come from 80 yard TD runs. He moved the ball down the field pretty darn well on two of his three other drives. He's unconventional but he can get it done in a variety of ways.


Originally posted by monsterzero789:
I just can't see the Niners giving up on CK. he wasn't bad on Friday night he actually looked better than he did last year which is a good sign. I don't see the trade value he would have either. Trying to trade him now would send up a major red flag to other teams. I doubt we would get more than what we got for Taylor mays last year. He will be either 2nd or 3rd qb come regular season but he's not going anywhere anytime soon

It's a numbers game and I don't see the 9ers keeping four QBs. Tolzien is unlikely to last on the PS, so it's either lose him, cut Johnson or trade CK. Not a bad position to be in but a decision is on the horizon.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
The Eagles might be a good fit for Johnson...after Mike Vick, their backups don't seem that impressive....heck the main Eagles site doesn't even list a 2nd string QB, just the 3rd one in Kafka.

nick foles dominated 3rd team defense i mean we saw what ST did he raised it above that

i think they will be fine i think SD will be a better choice to trade a backup qb to
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by kush:
I agree Tolzien is the perfect backup but I disagree on assuming Kaeps only positive influence in games will come from 80 yard TD runs. He moved the ball down the field pretty darn well on two of his three other drives. He's unconventional but he can get it done in a variety of ways.


Originally posted by monsterzero789:
I just can't see the Niners giving up on CK. he wasn't bad on Friday night he actually looked better than he did last year which is a good sign. I don't see the trade value he would have either. Trying to trade him now would send up a major red flag to other teams. I doubt we would get more than what we got for Taylor mays last year. He will be either 2nd or 3rd qb come regular season but he's not going anywhere anytime soon

It's a numbers game and I don't see the 9ers keeping four QBs. Tolzien is unlikely to last on the PS, so it's either lose him, cut Johnson or trade CK. Not a bad position to be in but a decision is on the horizon.

Johnson would definitely be cut before any type of CK trade would happen
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch FWIW, from the #49ers just-released depth chart: QB ... 1. Alex Smith, 2. Colin Kaepernick, 3. Josh Johnson, 4. Scott Tolzien.


this tells me harbaugh is pretty confident with the 1 and 2 being alex and kaep and he is letting JJ and ST battle it out for #3


maybe if ST "wins" this second week as well as the first week he may battle it out with kaep each taking the @2 spot in the next 2 preseason games
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Johnson would definitely be cut before any type of CK trade would happen

But then ....... we'd only have two qb's.

?
Originally posted by English:
But then ....... we'd only have two qb's.

?

why would be everz need more than the Golden Boy and GOD ?





so possibility of keeping 4 qb's on the roster now?
Originally posted by schmons:
so possibility of keeping 4 qb's on the roster now?

7.3% chance of happening. Just not enough room on the 53.
Ok, so we keep three. Tolzien better be one of them!
we cannot keep 4 qbs that is just a complete waste of a roster spot
JJ is odd man out. Or at least he better be.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Johnson would definitely be cut before any type of CK trade would happen

But then ....... we'd only have two qb's.

?

Pretty sure he saying that cutting JJ is more likely than trading CK, not that we'd do both.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Johnson would definitely be cut before any type of CK trade would happen

But then ....... we'd only have two qb's.

?

Pretty sure he saying that cutting JJ is more likely than trading CK, not that we'd do both.

He's messing with us using his fancy English skills
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch FWIW, from the #49ers just-released depth chart: QB ... 1. Alex Smith, 2. Colin Kaepernick, 3. Josh Johnson, 4. Scott Tolzien.


this tells me harbaugh is pretty confident with the 1 and 2 being alex and kaep and he is letting JJ and ST battle it out for #3


maybe if ST "wins" this second week as well as the first week he may battle it out with kaep each taking the @2 spot in the next 2 preseason games

Don't buy it for a second...that's Harbaugh's way of seeing enough already with ST and wanting to see more of Kaep/JJ in game #2. Or at least I hope so...b/c ST is a gamer. Period.