There are 194 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'll say it in this thread, because I feel safer....but I'll still whisper... why is so taboo to say that Tolzien looked like the best QB on the field that day? I mean, just the way he looks out there. Hitting our receivers and rbs in stride. If the Pro, you know who, crowd wants to say that Tolzien looked better as a QB than Colin...then I would also hope they would admit that he looks better than that other guy.

you mean the "other guy" who was 3 for 3 and threw a beautiful TD to a scrub WR? now you're just reaching, Afrikan.
I gave him credit for that throw...espeically for who he threw it too.

I'm talking about from everything we have seen from Alex...as far as a consistent basis....Tolzien, in one preseason (actually 2) showed the ablity to hit his receivers in stride. Now Alex has done this before, but he has not made it look as effortless as Scott has.

anyway, that post was more for those who say Scott looked that much better than Colin, *from the pocket*...well its been a while since we've seen someone look effortless like that...which is why some seemed so amazed at his, imo regular expected from a starter, type QB passes.
you mean the "other guy" who was 3 for 3 and threw a beautiful TD to a scrub WR? now you're just reaching, Afrikan.

I believe Alex is clearly our best QB and don't think Tolzien outplayed him (b/c Alex hardly played) but it's a bit of a stretch to call that TD a beautiful throw IMO. It was under thrown and he was lucky the corner didn't turn around or make any kind of play on it.
Originally posted by kush:
I believe Alex is clearly our best QB and don't think Tolzien outplayed him (b/c Alex hardly played) but it's a bit of a stretch to call that TD a beautiful throw IMO. It was under thrown and he was lucky the corner didn't turn around or make any kind of play on it.

No, that throw was where it should have been thrown and placed. The db is on the inside. He was guarding against a slant. So when Swain didn't slant but did a fade, he had to rotate to the right and play catch up, if he rotated to the left to look back, he would have lost swain's where abouts. If he didn't play catch and looked back, then Alex would not have thrown over Swains left shoulder and underneath but over the top of his right shoulder. By throwing it underneath (what you consider short) of a turned around db, if te db gets in the way of a wr trying to comeback and get in the way, then you most times will draw a penalty. With a person like Moss, you might throw a jumpball, especially if the db is really short, at the back of the endzone.

You read how the DB plays the ball, Alex already knew that the db did not have help and that all he had to do was read how the db reacted and trust that the wr would read it and adjust appropriately also. Which shows AS has made some faith adjustment, never mind who is plating the wr, give them your trust. I like it and hope Alex continues.

When a db is turned and playing catchup, throwing it short in one on one is how you should do it if the coverage is tight, if there is no help and the wr has a step, you throw it so that they can run under it. But that is where a wr has to be aware of his coverage and looking back at the ball.

Actually it was a bad throw. if you taped the game listen when Smith comes to the sideline, Harbaugh even says it was flat and Alex agrees.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

lol how was that under thrown?
it was a perfect back shoulder pass, it was a great pass.
Originally posted by ImaMod:

lol how was that under thrown?
it was a perfect back shoulder pass, it was a great pass.

Slightly under thrown. Should look like the Smith to Williams TD in the Cowboys game. High, to the outside, and a little deeper towards the back corner. Enough to be over the defenders' out reach, even if he turns to make a play on the ball.

Link
Josh should get some playing time a little earlier. Maybe he takes the 3rd and Scott cleans up. Josh is the #4 after the first game.
Alex's pass was perfect. As soon as Swain's head turned the ball was in his hands. If he had thrown it anywhere else Swain might not have made the catch.
Tolzien reminds me of "Steve Bono" ...the guy has the ability to be a pure WCO QB , I hope we keep him around , he will continue to get better and grow with the offense
Please rename CK vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB.. Tolzien will earn the #2 spot by the end of training camp.. as he is the only other legitimate pocket passing QB on this teams roster.

Trade CK to the tampering Jets case closed, problem solved.
[ Edited by Fricker on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM ]

9ers have one definite starter, two super athletic, and one ideal backup. If Tolzien is the ideal back up it makes sense that either CK or JJ are going to be traded...don't see keeping four QBs on the team--unless one manages to acquire a mysterious injury. CK is the only one who is trade-worthy so it is logical that he be traded.

A back up QB needs to be able to come in and manage the game, keep the wheels turning, until the starter returns. Tolzien seems the most capable of doing this...unless you think CK will be able to run for a couple of 80 yard TDs every game. Johnson is a mystery to me but not to Harbaugh, so I would think he is either good enough to groom or he will be cut should CK not be traded.

Imagine--a couple of years ago the 9ers were trying to pick from an injured Smith, S Hill and JTO! This group is younger and more talented.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
9ers have one definite starter, two super athletic, and one ideal backup. If Tolzien is the ideal back up it makes sense that either CK or JJ are going to be traded...don't see keeping four QBs on the team--unless one manages to acquire a mysterious injury. CK is the only one who is trade-worthy so it is logical that he be traded.

A back up QB needs to be able to come in and manage the game, keep the wheels turning, until the starter returns. Tolzien seems the most capable of doing this...unless you think CK will be able to run for a couple of 80 yard TDs every game. Johnson is a mystery to me but not to Harbaugh, so I would think he is either good enough to groom or he will be cut should CK not be traded.

Imagine--a couple of years ago the 9ers were trying to pick from an injured Smith, S Hill and JTO! This group is younger and more talented.

I agree Tolzien is the perfect backup but I disagree on assuming Kaeps only positive influence in games will come from 80 yard TD runs. He moved the ball down the field pretty darn well on two of his three other drives. He's unconventional but he can get it done in a variety of ways.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Actually it was a bad throw. if you taped the game listen when Smith comes to the sideline, Harbaugh even says it was flat and Alex agrees.

Yeah that's what I was saying, thanks for the back-up, bro!

Yeah that's what I was saying, thanks for the back-up, bro!

Yep. Alex seems to have trouble throwing passes that require 'touch'.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tolzien beat our CK for the #2 spot at this point. But after seeing that run CK had it makes me think he could be used in the same way Tebow is minus special teams.
[ Edited by AZ9erfan520 on Aug 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone