There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stock Up or Down? Updated through all 4 games

Big difference between this week and last, Rock played with first string OL, this week 2nd/3rd stringer, and facing pretty much 1st team DL, which bullied our backup OL, I don't see as a bad thing.

I didn't watch 2nd half, so I can't evaluate the game as well as I would like.

I liked Alex and Moss at times, Alex missed a wide open Moss, but also was getting blitzed the hell out of.

Kaep needs work, right now I wouldn't even keep him if he wasn't a 2nd rd pick from 2011, but because of that he stays. I would even put Johnson and Tolzien ahead of Kaep. Kaep's best thing is speed, but this isn't college, we aren't being the 2012 version of 2011 Tebow lead Broncos.

The OL was up and down, Boone seemed out matched at times. The "holding" on Anthony Davis was a bad call. These replacement refs are horrible, if the NFL wants to pass this off as a NFL ref they need to lower damn rates. I wouldn't pay to see a game that has botched calls, bad officials who don't know the terminology right.

Defense wise, we were okay, didn't bend against the rush, but our secondary needs work. besides Rogers, Whitner, Brown and Goldson, we need improvement. Brock needs to go ASAP, he looked bad in 2011, especially in NFC title game. Robinson looked bad as well.

Jenkins looked good from what I saw. Dobbs I was happy to see in on 1st team offense, with 1st team defense, and then special teams also.

Overall we were sloppy, our 1st teams looked fine, backups bad looking.
AB, I know you don't like Brock... I would admit he looked much better before his injury last year. Only bad plays I saw from Brock last year made it look worse was the time he fell down against Austin and they got a long Td from it and then in the NFCCG against Manningham but he had his hand in there. As for this game he had a nice special teams tackle on the 10 or so yard line and then had a pass breakup but was in with Robinson (who I am not sure about) on the long Andre Johnson catch. Also, had the long PI which I would admit was bad... he looked lost.

Anyways, draft will be fun next year. Just when you think we are loaded it's showing we can use all those picks to get more solid players all around. 3rd T, 4th OLB, S, CB, WR maybe, maybe C, DE, etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
AB, I know you don't like Brock... I would admit he looked much better before his injury last year. Only bad plays I saw from Brock last year made it look worse was the time he fell down against Austin and they got a long Td from it and then in the NFCCG against Manningham but he had his hand in there. As for this game he had a nice special teams tackle on the 10 or so yard line and then had a pass breakup but was in with Robinson (who I am not sure about) on the long Andre Johnson catch. Also, had the long PI which I would admit was bad... he looked lost.

Anyways, draft will be fun next year. Just when you think we are loaded it's showing we can use all those picks to get more solid players all around. 3rd T, 4th OLB, S, CB, WR maybe, maybe C, DE, etc.

Glad you brought this up! Should Staley/Davis go down or their play regresses, we have NO depth there. None. Person/Netter look very poor and Boone would have to slide over and muscle-memory his way to playing T again and add L.Davis changing two positions. This was an original worry of mine and I hope it doesn't bite us in the butt.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Glad you brought this up! Should Staley/Davis go down or their play regresses, we have NO depth there. None. Person/Netter look very poor and Boone would have to slide over and muscle-memory his way to playing T again and add L.Davis changing two positions. This was an original worry of mine and I hope it doesn't bite us in the butt.

We probably should've signed a veteran tackle once it became clear that Boone was getting a solid handle on RG. Trusting Person to be our swing tackle is absolutely frightening.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Originally I though if one of those guys goes down lets just move Boone over and sure that would work but the way he is excelling now do we really want to have him moving around and going back and forth? It will work in case of an emergency this year but next year hopefully we have a good solid 3rd tackle to bring in and Boone would stay at RG but if he got hurt Looney would be ready. LD won't go to much longer.

As for the draft If Goldson isn't back and we re-sign RJF or Soap I put the needs at FS, C (unless Kilgore is the answer...Goodwin due 5 mil, can save 4.3 by cutting him), WR (unless guys step up), 3rd T, 4th OLB as the major needs...

Then down the list 5th CB, NT (would have RJF or Soap and Ian), S depth, DE depth, etc
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally I though if one of those guys goes down lets just move Boone over and sure that would work but the way he is excelling now do we really want to have him moving around and going back and forth? It will work in case of an emergency this year but next year hopefully we have a good solid 3rd tackle to bring in and Boone would stay at RG but if he got hurt Looney would be ready. LD won't go to much longer.

As for the draft If Goldson isn't back and we re-sign RJF or Soap I put the needs at FS, C (unless Kilgore is the answer...Goodwin due 5 mil, can save 4.3 by cutting him), WR (unless guys step up), 3rd T, 4th OLB as the major needs...

Then down the list 5th CB, NT (would have RJF or Soap and Ian), S depth, DE depth, etc

I read one of the articles from either MM or Barrows and in it Harbaugh said he wants to leave Boone at RG if any injuries at tackle arise which is why I think trusting Person so heavily is a bad move.
Originally posted by sfout:
I read one of the articles from either MM or Barrows and in it Harbaugh said he wants to leave Boone at RG if any injuries at tackle arise which is why I think trusting Person so heavily is a bad move.

Maybe Derek Hall or Kenny Wiggins beats him out?
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Maybe Derek Hall or Kenny Wiggins beats him out?

lol it would have to be Hall. Wiggins has looked atrocious so far, I actually think he'll be the next single cut that we've been making a habit of doing this preseaosn lol.
lol it would have to be Hall. Wiggins has looked atrocious so far, I actually think he'll be the next single cut that we've been making a habit of doing this preseaosn lol.

As I recall it, Wiggins was good last week, but did struggle quite a bit last night.

(my 2 cents)

I didn't watch him... old man said Wiggins looked good in the 1st game but 2 holding penalties in this game really hurt him. I would have no problem with Hall over Person.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

As I recall it, Wiggins was good last week, but did struggle quite a bit last night.

(my 2 cents)

Its these dumb refs but i thought he has drawn penalties in both games and generally not played soundly. Could've been another player but I still don't think he is the answer so this is somewhat of a moot discussion. lol .
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Stock up that you should've included is Perrish Cox -- He played good to great ball last week, had that pick and the training camp "hype articles" have made it seem like Cox is really stepping up and Brock being abused badly last night only helped his case to unseat him as the #4 CB.
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM ]

(my 2 cents)

Its these dumb refs but i thought he has drawn penalties in both games and generally not played soundly. Could've been another player but I still don't think he is the answer so this is somewhat of a moot discussion. lol .

That's fine... yeah, best I saw out of Wiggins was a guy that is RT-only and perhaps a good practice squad candidate. Last week was a mixed bag for Mike Person, but his biggest issue seems to be dealing with the speed of undersized rushers. He's a bit scary on that and doesn't put enough space between he and the QB when he anchors.
Stock up that you should've included is Perrish Cox -- He played good to great ball last week, had that pick and the training camp "hype articles" have made it seem like Cox is really stepping up and Brock being abused badly last night only helped his case to unseat him as the #4 CB.

I mentioned how Brock had a prime chance with Cox not playing to step up the competition for 4th CB but he didn't do it. He had a few nice plays but a few bad ones. I don't know if I can say stock up with him not playing but he is a lock for the #4 spot IMO. Brock will be 5.
That's fine... yeah, best I saw out of Wiggins was a guy that is RT-only and perhaps a good practice squad candidate. Last week was a mixed bag for Mike Person, but his biggest issue seems to be dealing with the speed of undersized rushers. He's a bit scary on that and doesn't put enough space between he and the QB when he anchors.

Yeah, you would think it would be easy to coach some of these guys into saying anchor sooner not 1 step in front of the QB. I noticed Anthony does that a lot where he will take a few giant steps and anchors way back. He's such a powerful guy I say drop back a step, anchor down and lunge. I guess they would rather have them retreating than anchoring early and missing. Anthony has shown what he can do in the run game, I just hope he takes a step in the pass game because the guy has a lot of potential and he's only like 23 years old going into his 3rd year.