LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Stock Up or Down? Updated through all 4 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Didn't see as much pressure as I wanted from "Strong side" (Brooks/RayMac) in the Vikings game. I know, only 17 snaps. To me they looked solid, but its a whole different feel with Justin and Aldon on the weak side.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Didn't see as much pressure as I wanted from "Strong side" (Brooks/RayMac) in the Vikings game. I know, only 17 snaps. To me they looked solid, but its a whole different feel with Justin and Aldon on the weak side.

Brooks was quick running the arc, but he always seemed to run himself just beyond the QB. He needs to learn to sharpen his route inside. He has the power to engage a blocker and push through him if need be. Too often, he tries to use speed to get around the block.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I agree with most of that AB but I could see us rotating inactives depending on the game. Maybe Jones or Robinson sit... don't think we need all 5 S although of course there is special teams to think about. I'm not so sure Jones is even a lock. Maybe against weaker run defenses or weaker teams we give James some playing time. Maybe Williams is active most of the games but then a few they give Jenkins a shot. I'm not saying they will be active often (at least not Jenkins) but I see them finding a way to get them active. I think they will rotate the WRs a lot. Like I said maybe it's an easier team, maybe the last game as well if we have nothing to gain. I don't see how they can go all 16 games of the season without activating each a few times. Like I said they are for the future but to me that would do neither of them any good to not play 1 down. Also, if Dobbs ends up being the 3rd TE no way he is inactive but if not maybe they have him or Tukuafa backing up both DE spots and one of them sits.

Side note though... why in the heck do they have to limit it to 46 of the 53 players? Why does it matter if the last 7 guys suit up and stand on the sidelines. If every team does 53 how is it an advantage? I don't see any point in it and it can punish teams/players. The 3rd QB is instantly on it correct so it's 8 total but 7 other than the 3rd QB.

edit: found this for others interested... just not sure it's needed

15 minutes before a regulation NFL game, both teams must present an "Inactive" list of 8 players to the officials. That means of a team's 53 man roster, only 45 may participate in the game itself. The lone exception is if the team has a 3rd string quarterback on the inactive list. There are separate rules for the 3rd string QB and how he may participate in a game, if at all. The question then is, why have an inactive list? It's an attempt by the NFL to create a competitive balance on game day. Due to the brutal nature of the sport, a team can carry players on its 53 man roster that may be too injured to play in that game, but not so injured that they need to be put on Injured Reserve and miss the rest of the season.

Having an inactive list that removes 8 players on game day, basically guarantees that both teams will have the same number of healthy players available on game day, whether or not the 8 inactive players are truly injured. I do not know why 8 was chosen.

Quite naturally, the reasoning for an inactive list is controversial. Teams still must pay the inactive player their entire game day salary, and must pay to transport, feed, and lodge their inactive players on road trips. Also, limiting the amount of active players puts more players at risk of injury as it is more difficult to rest starters in blowouts, and regular players must also contribute more on special teams.

I have Dobbs active, as onne of the 6 DL, should of meant TE, but figure he will be also DE. The whole inactives piss me off. Too many injuries, wish it was the 46 active, and a possible 3rd QB of the inactives like old, just with an extra active.
At the beginning of the season, I doubt either Jenkins or James makes it on the active roster, but throughout the season, with injuries, I'm sure both of those guys will continue to climb up the depth chart and get some minutes here and there.
I have 0 faith in Kaepernick having the ability to be a good QB in this league
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Interesting, I am of the opposite opinion. His delivery is slow, which will be something he will have to work on throughout his career. But I've got the sense from him that he's confident in his abilities. I do think the offense would have to be tailored to his strengths, with roll-outs and designed draws.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
‏@mattbarrows Harbaugh said that Kaepernick has started to emerge as the No 2 QB. Said Johnson will enter third, Tolzien fourth v. Texans.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Interesting, I am of the opposite opinion. His delivery is slow, which will be something he will have to work on throughout his career. But I've got the sense from him that he's confident in his abilities. I do think the offense would have to be tailored to his strengths, with roll-outs and designed draws.

I really don't like that we'd have to tailor an offense to a QB with roll-outs and draws. What happens if he goes down? I want a pure passer offense, not gimmicks.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
‏@mattbarrows Harbaugh said that Kaepernick has started to emerge as the No 2 QB. Said Johnson will enter third, Tolzien fourth v. Texans.

Sounds like Harbaugh is pulling an Andy Ried.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

w..t..f

I have total faith in anything Harbaugh wants to do with our QB's.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I really don't like that we'd have to tailor an offense to a QB with roll-outs and draws. What happens if he goes down? I want a pure passer offense, not gimmicks.

I'm sure the offenses in Carolina and Washington have incorporated many of those plays that take advantage of their QBs athleticism. Why would Kaep be any different. Now I realize that Kaep isn't as polished as Netwon or RGIII but I do see striking similarities.
If we can get away with it, I wouldn't mind keeping all 4 in 53 man, though unlikely.

Is that a new opinion for you?
No need to worry about this or take extreme stands on unproven players. It's simply too soon in the process.
Share 49ersWebzone