There are 186 users in the forums

Stock Up or Down? Updated through all 4 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
‏@mattbarrows Harbaugh said that Kaepernick has started to emerge as the No 2 QB. Said Johnson will enter third, Tolzien fourth v. Texans.

Its b/c Harbaugh has already seen enough to make Tolzien #2. He needs to see more of Kaep/Johnson for #3.
Originally posted by NCommand:
‏@mattbarrows Harbaugh said that Kaepernick has started to emerge as the No 2 QB. Said Johnson will enter third, Tolzien fourth v. Texans.

Its b/c Harbaugh has already seen enough to make Tolzien #2. He needs to see more of Kaep/Johnson for #3.

At first I laughed. Then I was like hmmmmm.....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

At first I laughed. Then I was like hmmmmm.....

That's a common reaction to my threads/posts! LOL

I think this is classic Harbaugh player management. Tolzien has been really played up by the media, fans, and his teammates (Whitner, eg.) this week. Harbaugh wants to keep him hungry, focused and not let him, or the media, get ahead of himself. Meanwhile, he wants to continue to encourage CK or JJ before a final decision has been made. If I had to guess, other than Smith at #1, Harbaugh's comments and the order the QBs will play is not indicative of how they stack up on the final depth chart. Should be fun to watch this play out.

I, for one, will be very disappointed if ST does not make this team.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:

I think this is classic Harbaugh player management. Tolzien has been really played up by the media, fans, and his teammates (Whitner, eg.) this week. Harbaugh wants to keep him hungry, focused and not let him, or the media, get ahead of himself. Meanwhile, he wants to continue to encourage CK or JJ before a final decision has been made. If I had to guess, other than Smith at #1, Harbaugh's comments and the order the QBs will play is not indicative of how they stack up on the final depth chart. Should be fun to watch this play out.

I agree on your idea of Harbs not wanting to let tolziens ego blow up. He kind of did it last year with Aldon Smith. Smith was a half sack away from the rookie record and he was on the bench a lot more than normal in the season finale. It was wierd but maybe he was keeping him youngry too
If Tolzien can play like he did in the Vikes game for the second week in a row, or even improved, he can't be ignored as a viable #2. Regardless of the competition on the field for Tolzien. They are mostly looking at the overall functionality of the qb within the offense in these presseason games.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by CornellU49er:

I agree on your idea of Harbs not wanting to let tolziens ego blow up. He kind of did it last year with Aldon Smith. Smith was a half sack away from the rookie record and he was on the bench a lot more than normal in the season finale. It was wierd but maybe he was keeping him youngry too

I agree all around! We see Harbaugh use the media to temper or deflect attention. We certainly saw him use the media to perfection to get Jenkins in shape, Crabtree's amazing hands, you'll-be-sorry statements to build Jenkins back up, etc. I saw that when Brooks was blowing up...Fangio quickly came out and mirrored the attention but then in the same breathe said that he had a bad practice that day.

This is all coach-speak for ensuring these guys stay hungry, focused, humble and remain in the right championship mentality, IMHO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Brooks was quick running the arc, but he always seemed to run himself just beyond the QB. He needs to learn to sharpen his route inside. He has the power to engage a blocker and push through him if need be. Too often, he tries to use speed to get around the block.

Agreed, the guy is 270 yet seems like most of the time he uses speed to try and get around and ends up running himself out of the play/qb. I'd like to see him work on his moves, bull rush more... trying going in side more...
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Brooks was quick running the arc, but he always seemed to run himself just beyond the QB. He needs to learn to sharpen his route inside. He has the power to engage a blocker and push through him if need be. Too often, he tries to use speed to get around the block.

Agreed, the guy is 270 yet seems like most of the time he uses speed to try and get around and ends up running himself out of the play/qb. I'd like to see him work on his moves, bull rush more... trying going in side more...

Not a big deal, but I would seriously bet that if we put Brooks on a scale? He would top out at 255-260. Not that this changes what we are talking about, but still...
UPDATE BEFORE GAME 2:

Nate Byham - STOCK TERMINATED
I was going to say if he didn't play this game at Hou he is in big trouble. He has been missing a lot of practice and didn't appear to have recovered from his ACL injury. He was just so far behind and odds were against him with Reuland playing well and possibly not keeping 3 TEs with Dobbs playing both ways. I think he would have had a shot if he was 100% but he hasn't played or practiced since August 1, 2011.

Cam Johnson - STOCK DOWN
Hasn't practiced much and I think the team knew they got him so late because of an injury issue. His stock is going down but they might see enough potential to put him on PUP or IR or keep him around. Now with us adding Rowe and if Bakhtiari has another game odds would be against him making the team unless it's on an injured list.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM ]

Originally posted by Gore_21:
UPDATE BEFORE GAME 2:

Nate Byham - STOCK TERMINATED
I was going to say if he didn't play this game at Hou he is in big trouble. He has been missing a lot of practice and didn't appear to have recovered from his ACL injury. He was just so far behind and odds were against him with Reuland playing well and possibly not keeping 3 TEs with Dobbs playing both ways. I think he would have had a shot if he was 100% but he hasn't played or practiced since August 1, 2011.

Cam Johnson - STOCK DOWN
Hasn't practiced much and I think the team knew they got him so late because of an injury issue. His stock is going down but they might see enough potential to put him on PUP or IR or keep him around. If he doesn't play in this game odds are against him making the team on something besides an injury list. Now with us adding Rowe and if Bakhtiari has another game odds would be against him.

Added in game 2.... overall we were sloppy but despite that we held with them for 3 full quarters. Not to mention the Texans kept their starters in much longer and props to their fans because they treated this like a regular season game. I didn't go into too much detail and unlike the last one I don't think I will re-watch this game 2-3 times. I might not add in any more but if any of you guys watched the line I would like to hear about that. And despite all that minus the return TD it was a 13-9 close played game.

267-279 in yards, both gave up 2 sacks, 0 ints, both teams lost 0 fumbles, total time of possession was within 8 seconds, 7-9 in penalties... really minus that return pretty even game despite them playing their 1st string when we had backups in, their 2nd when we were probably down to 3rd string.
Stock down:

1. OL, Again against a team that can pass rush. I still have NO idea how Alex Smith didn't get seriously hurt. Seriously.
2. We missed our OLB's badly. Eric Bakhtiari is going to make this team as the #4 but he's more of a SAM than a WILL. We still need a pass rusher badly.
3. Secondary, constantly playing 40 yards off WR's. Brock looked pretty bad mostly. We missed Cox. He will be #3 or #4. And we are VERY poor against tall receivers including TE's. This worries me long term as does 3rd and 10 and playing 15 yards off the LOS when we bring a blitz.
4. Rock Cartwright may be a key backup running back.

Stock up:
5. Injuries. Really pushing hard to make this team...fall.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM ]
Stock down:

1. OL, Again against a team that can pass rush. I still have NO idea how Alex Smith didn't get seriously hurt. Seriously.
2. We missed our OLB's badly. Eric Bakhtiari is going to make this team as the #4 but he's more of a SAM than a WILL. We still need a pass rusher badly.
3. Secondary, constantly playing 40 yards off WR's. Brock looked pretty bad mostly. We missed Cox. He will be #3 or #4. And we are VERY poor against tall receivers including TE's. This worries me long term as does 3rd and 10 and playing 15 yards off the LOS when we bring a blitz.
4. Rock Cartwright may be a key backup running back.

Stock up:
5. Injuries. Really pushing hard to make this team...fall.

1. I was surprised we only gave up 2 sacks but yeah the OL definitely struggled. It's pre season but hopefully come regular season if that was happening Roman would be smart enough to do screens/quick throws/slants (when is the last time we did one?) to get the ball out of there quick. Side note we should have been ready or their good pass rush but still I doubt we planned for all those blitzes. They played like it was a playoff game. The fans were in it and they played a little rough and dirty.

2. Agreed... Parys showing we still need him until we can find a #3 and 4 OLB. Wish Fleming and Johnson weren't hurt because they would have plenty of time today. Rowe, Brown won't have much say. Bahktiari a 27 year old journyman who hs been on like 5 teams will probably make the team due to injuries. Cam Johnson could go on PUP/IR to keep him around. No idea how those guys will come back next year but if I am Baalke and Co. I am using something like a 3rd round pick on a OLB who can rush the passer.

3. I noticed that but that could be due to pre-season and lack of gameplanning. Wasn't happy with backup S's... Robinson and Thomas. Spillman seemed to do well though. Brock did struggle at times... Cox will be the #4.

4. Rock will make the team over Dixon... didn't have the holes this game but still ran decent. He could be emergency RB, emergency FB and captain of the special teams. P.S I wish we would have kept Blake but I guess the staff once guys who can play multiple spots.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM ]
Big difference between this week and last, Rock played with first string OL, this week 2nd/3rd stringer, and facing pretty much 1st team DL, which bullied our backup OL, I don't see as a bad thing.

I didn't watch 2nd half, so I can't evaluate the game as well as I would like.

I liked Alex and Moss at times, Alex missed a wide open Moss, but also was getting blitzed the hell out of.

Kaep needs work, right now I wouldn't even keep him if he wasn't a 2nd rd pick from 2011, but because of that he stays. I would even put Johnson and Tolzien ahead of Kaep. Kaep's best thing is speed, but this isn't college, we aren't being the 2012 version of 2011 Tebow lead Broncos.

The OL was up and down, Boone seemed out matched at times. The "holding" on Anthony Davis was a bad call. These replacement refs are horrible, if the NFL wants to pass this off as a NFL ref they need to lower damn rates. I wouldn't pay to see a game that has botched calls, bad officials who don't know the terminology right.

Defense wise, we were okay, didn't bend against the rush, but our secondary needs work. besides Rogers, Whitner, Brown and Goldson, we need improvement. Brock needs to go ASAP, he looked bad in 2011, especially in NFC title game. Robinson looked bad as well.

Jenkins looked good from what I saw. Dobbs I was happy to see in on 1st team offense, with 1st team defense, and then special teams also.

Overall we were sloppy, our 1st teams looked fine, backups bad looking.
Share 49ersWebzone