There are 214 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Originally posted by fastforward:
I want to see Tolzien to go against the second-team defense or better before I completely buy in, but I don't know if CK can pull a win against a first-team defense. Options offense can only go so far.

I'm not getting all these references to college offenses. His old team ran the Pistol. His new team does not. Why do we think, when he takes a snap, Roman is now running the Pistol/Option.

Last I checked, Harbaugh and Roman determine the offense we run, not backup QB.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If you just completely ignore the fact of where we picked Kaep and go just on performance last year and this year I think this is the real order.

If the performance of the QBs remain the same in the next few games, the coaches will have no choice but doing exactly that. CK might be the future, but winning must be the overriding goal.


If performance in the pocket during preseason is the only measure, then Tolzien should be our starting quarterback. He looks better in the pocket than anybody else we have by far.

If you put Tolzien ahead of Kaep, then by the same logic you have to put him ahead of Smith too.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by fastforward:
I want to see Tolzien to go against the second-team defense or better before I completely buy in, but I don't know if CK can pull a win against a first-team defense. Options offense can only go so far.

I'm not getting all these references to college offenses. His old team ran the Pistol. His new team does not. Why do we think, when he takes a snap, Roman is now running the Pistol/Option.

Last I checked, Harbaugh and Roman determine the offense we run, not backup QB.


We practiced a lot of option running with Kaep today. I guess people think that's the only thing he can do now.
The Vikings are a terrible team and their secondary is the weakest part of it. Still, I like the timing between Tolzien and the receivers. No matter how bad the Vikes are, it doesn't change the fact the timing was very good.

As to the rest of the QB performances; I learned very little. Johnson is a bit rusty but with good reason - he hasn't played much. Kaep looked a bit better than last season but not yet ready.

We won't really know much until the 3rd PS game when the first teams play more. Until then, it is all academic.

Just my opinion....
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Alex Smith - 14 - 4, NFC Championship game, low interceptions, definitely improved, worked on his mechanics, doesn't straighten out that knee so much anymore.


2) Scott Tolzien - clearly above and beyond any QB on our roster for pocket presense, awarness, accuracy. Practice squad? Please! Who are we kidding. No question he is the 2nd best QB on this team right now and I don't think it's close.


3) Colin Kaepernick - incredible, explosive, long run. Looks good outside the pocket. Clearly lacks timing, accuracy, decision making from within the pocket. Inside the pocket looks like he will struggle. He seems Tebow - esque. Great running and throwing outside the pocket running around. But confused and inaccurate inside the pocket. Not what you want. Looks exactly like the pistol offense guy he was at Nevade. Does he have huge upside? Yes. Is he ready now to be a pocket NFL QB? Hell no!


4) Josh Johnson - Harbaughs one time pupil at UC - San Diego Torreros. At one time I thought Tolzien would be the odd man out. But I think it's him. There is talent, athleticism, and a pretty good arm there. And a history with Harbaugh. But why would you expose Tolzien who is CLEARLY better IMO? Keep him just because you have a history? I think you have to separate yourself from that. Look Alex makes it by default. Kaep didn't get picked that high to give up on. So he makes it too obviously. It comes down to 2 for 1 position. And I think Tolzien is clearly more accurate, more poised and greater command of things out there. Plus we already have 1 running QB. Why do we need 2? We need a pocket guy. And that's Tolzien.
100%

Could be, maybe...as has been posted; the biggest play I saw Tolzein make was the one with the safety bearing down on him for a big hit, but T just eyeballs the receiver and makes the play, then takes the hit. Really liked that play, no check down, no run away panicked, nice.
We have Smith and nothing beyond that. If any of those guys have to play extended time we are in big trouble.
Pre-season Game 1.

Just saying.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
AS, ST, CK, JJ

Tolzein was by far the most impressive QB tonight. Dude just takes command of the offense. Unlike any of our other QB's. Not to mention his timing and ball placement.

this
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Tolzien can look, think, and find-- while dropping back in the pocket. Right now I'm not seeing it in Kaep.
this


Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
All the QBs looked pretty solid, we are going to have a good problem and have to cut a good one. Tolzien and the Practice Squad at this point, is moot.

But had we been down 0-6 and CK comes in the 4th Qtr we win. If Tolzien comes in the 4th Quarter we lose looking good.



Because of 1 long run?

lol


Originally posted by Ballistic:
Tolzien >>>> Kap

yup.


and this
Originally posted by OldJoe:
And we are playing the game of "who currently is playing the best".

Kap is #2 until he passes up Alex Smith or Harbaugh gives up on him. No team wants to look stupid by admitting they made a bad move in the draft. We didn't just give up a 2nd rounder, we gave up a 2nd and a 4th rounder. Unless they are certain a player will not pan out, that player has a huge (unfair?) edge on the depth chart.

So Tolzien might be the 2nd best, but he won't see the field much until he out plays all the QBs on this team (just my prediction).

LOL Last night I saw the beginning of this thread and thought it was another kind of funny "Tolzein is God" thread. But there are really people who think he is the #1? Come on now. He looked ok in there, but he wasn't near perfect. Alex was 3-3 with a TD against the 1's (such as they were). this kind of overreaction is really what Niner talk is known for. He had a good game though, and I owuld love him to be the "thrid" QB that is really the second QB if Smith gets hurt.


Also to the bolded above: if you move up by just giving a second rounder then you are actually giving a lower pick for a higher pick. If a GM can pull that off then they have incriminating pictures or mind control abilities. While I won't rule out either for Baalke I think you misunderstood that trade. that is why you include a lower round pick while swapping 2nd round picks.
Originally posted by dj43:
The Vikings are a terrible team and their secondary is the weakest part of it. Still, I like the timing between Tolzien and the receivers. No matter how bad the Vikes are, it doesn't change the fact the timing was very good.

As to the rest of the QB performances; I learned very little. Johnson is a bit rusty but with good reason - he hasn't played much. Kaep looked a bit better than last season but not yet ready.

We won't really know much until the 3rd PS game when the first teams play more. Until then, it is all academic.

Just my opinion....

It's amazing that people said Kaepernick was ready at the beginning of last year. Just shows ignorance... he still isn't ready yet. Anyways, agreed that timing was pretty good but the Vikings secondary is a weak spot and we will have a much tougher test AT Houston. Hopefully no let down.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by English:
Pre-season Game 1.

Just saying.

Well, just typing, anyway....

I know people love to analyze the QB position, but it's just too early right now. Sample size is way too small and the situations of each QB are not equal.

I actually think all the QBs did pretty well. I'm not unhappy with what I saw. I'm not super excited, either.

What I do know is that I'm not worried about it. I trust Jim Harbaugh.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
And we are playing the game of "who currently is playing the best".

Kap is #2 until he passes up Alex Smith or Harbaugh gives up on him. No team wants to look stupid by admitting they made a bad move in the draft. We didn't just give up a 2nd rounder, we gave up a 2nd and a 4th rounder. Unless they are certain a player will not pan out, that player has a huge (unfair?) edge on the depth chart.

So Tolzien might be the 2nd best, but he won't see the field much until he out plays all the QBs on this team (just my prediction).

LOL Last night I saw the beginning of this thread and thought it was another kind of funny "Tolzein is God" thread. But there are really people who think he is the #1? Come on now. He looked ok in there, but he wasn't near perfect. Alex was 3-3 with a TD against the 1's (such as they were). this kind of overreaction is really what Niner talk is known for. He had a good game though, and I owuld love him to be the "thrid" QB that is really the second QB if Smith gets hurt.


Also to the bolded above: if you move up by just giving a second rounder then you are actually giving a lower pick for a higher pick. If a GM can pull that off then they have incriminating pictures or mind control abilities. While I won't rule out either for Baalke I think you misunderstood that trade. that is why you include a lower round pick while swapping 2nd round picks.

I could not agree with you more. I saw it and thought we're these com. made before the game. So the two qbs that scored should be 2 and three I'm confused.lol. here come the alex bashing
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
You're right. We do. And his name is KAEPERNICK. Kap=10pts, Tolzein=0pts.

lol @ you thinking he'll be able to run like that vs. 1st team defenses
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Ballistic:
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
You're right. We do. And his name is KAEPERNICK. Kap=10pts, Tolzein=0pts.

lol @ you thinking he'll be able to run like that vs. 1st team defenses

I know... what a silly head. There's no way that could happen. That's like thinking Alex Smith could make a 30 yard TD run against a first team defense.... It would never happen.