There are 278 users in the forums

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Alex Smith - 14 - 4, NFC Championship game, low interceptions, definitely improved, worked on his mechanics, doesn't straighten out that knee so much anymore.

2) Scott Tolzien - clearly above and beyond any QB on our roster for pocket presense, awarness, accuracy. Practice squad? Please! Who are we kidding. No question he is the 2nd best QB on this team right now and I don't think it's close.

3) Colin Kaepernick - incredible, explosive, long run. Looks good outside the pocket. Clearly lacks timing, accuracy, decision making from within the pocket. Inside the pocket looks like he will struggle. He seems Tebow - esque. Great running and throwing outside the pocket running around. But confused and inaccurate inside the pocket. Not what you want. Looks exactly like the pistol offense guy he was at Nevade. Does he have huge upside? Yes. Is he ready now to be a pocket NFL QB? Hell no!

4) Josh Johnson - Harbaughs one time pupil at San Diego Torreros. At one time I thought Tolzien would be the odd man out. But I think it's him. There is talent, athleticism, and a pretty good arm there. And a history with Harbaugh. But why would you expose Tolzien who is CLEARLY better IMO? Keep him just because you have a history? I think you have to separate yourself from that. Look Alex makes it by default. Kaep didn't get picked that high to give up on. So he makes it too obviously. It comes down to 2 for 1 position. And I think Tolzien is clearly more accurate, more poised and greater command of things out there. Plus we already have 1 running QB. Why do we need 2? We need a pocket guy. And that's Tolzien.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM ]
Have always felt the same way re: the order.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
agreed
agreed

i really wanted kaep to take next step but it didnt look like he improved at all from last year
Originally posted by NCommand:
Have always felt the same way re: the order.

If you just completely ignore the fact of where we picked Kaep and go just on performance last year and this year I think this is the real order.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Tolzien is always #1 for me.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by susweel:

"but of course!"

Poupon Alex Smith

Honestly if you just went on accuracy, pocket presense and performance I could see Tolzien start. Obviously it's the big running joke on the WZ. Tolzien "God" etc. But put the joke away. And watch him play. He's really good. And has better pocket awarness and accuracy than anybody we have.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
agreed

i really wanted kaep to take next step but it didnt look like he improved at all from last year

He's a really explosive athlete and a big strong guy. But I just cringe to think of him in the pocket for a full NFL game....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Honestly if you just went on accuracy, pocket presense and performance I could see Tolzien start. Obviously it's the big running joke on the WZ. Tolzien "God" etc. But put the joke away. And watch him play. He's really good. And has better pocket awarness and accuracy than anybody we have.

I agree

I agree

I think this guy can convert 3rd and 7 and 3rd and 10 from the pocket. And we don't have anybody else like that right now.
لا إله إلا Tolzien وأليكس رسول الله! There is no God but Tolzien and Alex is His prophet! لا إله إلا Tolzien وأليكس رسول الله!

Right now Tolzien should be #2... Kaep will be a better player once he devolps though.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I agree

I think this guy can convert 3rd and 7 and 3rd and 10 from the pocket. And we don't have anybody else like that right now.

He hits receivers in stride and not afraid to stand tall in the pocket.

lets not get carried away this is the same crap we went through nate davis

he was great and clearly is the 2nd best qb but we have to keep in mind he played the 3rd team defense of an already weak secondary ( one of the worst secondaries in nfl as their best CB didnt play)
Share 49ersWebzone