There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This deep and talented roster won't suffer one-dimensional players in 2012. I doubt Ginn will make this team, especially if LaMichael James proves dangerous in the return game and Cox proves adequate.

Bring it on


The thing that makes Ginn so valuable is his hands on special teams, he might have the best fielding ability of any punt returner I have ever seen. He catches everything. I think he's a little overrated as a return man, but his ability to field the ball is what makes him so valuable.

I disagree, he had some bobbles last year, and he was so bad in MIA that they benched him. Since he came to SF, his hands have generally been reliable (as a returner), but I wouldn't consider them to be in any way special.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I REPEAT: TED GINN WILL NOT BE CUT (See Championship Game, 2011)

Agreed

#fact!

And if one of our rookies proves to be 90% of the returner that Ginn is?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This deep and talented roster won't suffer one-dimensional players in 2012. I doubt Ginn will make this team, especially if LaMichael James proves dangerous in the return game and Cox proves adequate.

Bring it on


The thing that makes Ginn so valuable is his hands on special teams, he might have the best fielding ability of any punt returner I have ever seen. He catches everything. I think he's a little overrated as a return man, but his ability to field the ball is what makes him so valuable.
Glad you made it "on special teams" because when it comes to his craft as a WR he won't threaten any WR on the roster unless he makes an unbelievable improvement as a WR. Oh yeah, and staying "available" (i.e healthy) usually helps as well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by Jakemall:
And if one of our rookies proves to be 90% of the returner that Ginn is?
They will have to light the world on fire to make me think a rookie will replace ginn. a rookie is going to have to have more than one or two good returns in a pre season game against the other teams third unit. I know how this place operates. people like nate davis makes one good throw in a pre season game against some scrubs and he should be the niner starter. woods has a good game in a pre season game against san diego and he is our wide out of the future. no. i think the chances of one of the kids lighting it up in pre season is not very realistic.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Glad you made it "on special teams" because when it comes to his craft as a WR he won't threaten any WR on the roster unless he makes an unbelievable improvement as a WR. Oh yeah, and staying "available" (i.e healthy) usually helps as well.

when give the choice at this point in time for our return man,, between a proved all pro as a kick returner who is respectable as a wide out and deadly as a person who run run a reverse and two kids who have never done anything in the nfl, the choice is pretty clear, next year when the kids are a year older, we can have this conversation
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This deep and talented roster won't suffer one-dimensional players in 2012. I doubt Ginn will make this team, especially if LaMichael James proves dangerous in the return game and Cox proves adequate.

Bring it on

Cox will get cut before Ginn.
I'm not so sure about that. At least in a pinch Cox can actually play his roster position with some measure of reliability. That cannot be said about Ginn. And we know JH loves values players. With Cox you get a ST ace, better than decent returner, and RB. With Ginn you get a returner only who's a WR that cannot be counted on actually play WR. I assure you that the Jet-Sweep will be used very sparingly this season. Again, with this deep roster players on the periphery are gonna have to display real value other than being dangerous in just 1 area to earn a roster spot on this team.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This deep and talented roster won't suffer one-dimensional players in 2012. I doubt Ginn will make this team, especially if LaMichael James proves dangerous in the return game and Cox proves adequate.

Bring it on
You may be willing to bet the farm on a big "if" but i and many others are not. next year at this time we can have this discussion but for me, this is already been put to bed.
Who said anything about betting the farm? The 49ers won't be needing to bet the farm. We are deep at returner just like every other position on the team. This teams' window is wide for this season. Let next season speak for itself. LaMichael James is a proven dangerous returner and RB. Cox is a ST ace, decent returner and capable RB. And both are durable, something Ginn isn't. I'm not betting anything; I don't gamble. And for me, if Cox and James are gambles, then Ginn has to be seen as "betting the farm" with better value players on the roster.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
And if one of our rookies proves to be 90% of the returner that Ginn is?
They will have to light the world on fire to make me think a rookie will replace ginn. a rookie is going to have to have more than one or two good returns in a pre season game against the other teams third unit. I know how this place operates. people like nate davis makes one good throw in a pre season game against some scrubs and he should be the niner starter. woods has a good game in a pre season game against san diego and he is our wide out of the future. no. i think the chances of one of the kids lighting it up in pre season is not very realistic.
Cox is hardly a "kid". And neither James nor Cox is gonna have to"light it up" in preseason. They bring much more to the table than Ginn. That alone puts Ginn's roster spot in jeopardy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Who said anything about betting the farm? The 49ers won't be needing to bet the farm. We are deep at returner just like every other position on the team. This teams' window is wide for this season. Let next season speak for itself. LaMichael James is a proven dangerous returner and RB. Cox is a ST ace, decent returner and capable RB. And both are durable, something Ginn isn't. I'm not betting anything; I don't gamble. And for me, if Cox and James are gambles, then Ginn has to be seen as "betting the farm" with better value players on the roster.
the kids have proved nothing in the nfl so it is illogical to put them above ted ginn. to get rid of ginn cuz james was good in college . it is also illogical is put cox ahead of ginn when he has not played in the nfl for over a year. hoping a unproven rookie and a guy who has been out of the league will do ginns job is indeed betting the farm and its a poor bet at that. that is not a gamble? really?
If Ginn is replaced it will be by a player who impresses during TC and pre season games. I would prefer to have a seasoned lock, with a couple of young guys battling for the back up role.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Cox is hardly a "kid". And neither James nor Cox is gonna have to"light it up" in preseason. They bring much more to the table than Ginn. That alone puts Ginn's roster spot in jeopardy.
when i said kids, i meant the rookie running back and wide out we drafted. what have they done in the nfl to justify cutting ginn for them. hell jenkins needs to work on his recieving skills let alone worry about a kick returner,, james has done nothing in the nfl. if the season started today, to cut ginn cuz you hope the combo of those two and cox can do the job is not in the best interest of the team.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If Ginn is replaced it will be by a player who impresses during TC and pre season games. I would prefer to have a seasoned lock, with a couple of young guys battling for the back up role.
And that assumes he'll be healthy and available to make it interesting. And I guarantee you that returning kicks won't be all that JH will want to see from Ginn in TC and the preseason.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jul 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
And that assumes he'll and healthy and available to make it interesting. And I guarantee you that TC won't be all that coaches will want to see from Ginn in TC and the preseason.
i did not understand what you were trying to say, sorry. Do you not think that a guy like cox who has been out of the league and a rookie who has never played a snap in the nfl have alot to learn and alot to show the coaches. ginn has nothing to prove in his return game, nothing. if he does i would like for you to tell me what that is.I am not worried about ginns injury he had in camp, the coaches seem not to be worried so why should I? believe me there are a few players with more to prove than ginn
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
And that assumes he'll and healthy and available to make it interesting. And I guarantee you that TC won't be all that coaches will want to see from Ginn in TC and the preseason.
i did not understand what you were trying to say, sorry. Do you not think that a guy like cox who has been out of the league and a rookie who has never played a snap in the nfl have alot to learn and alot to show the coaches. ginn has nothing to prove in his return game, nothing. if he does i would like for you to tell me what that is.I am not worried about ginns injury he had in camp, the coaches seem not to be worried so why should I? believe me there are a few players with more to prove than ginn
Obviously you haven't read some of my previous posts on this. In short, the talent pool is deep both at WR and returner. Do I think Cox is a better returner than Ginn? - no!. But he is a ST ace and a capable RB. Do I think James is? - it remains to be seen, but he is very dangerous in that department, and as a runner. The bottom line is that Cox and James offer more in value to this team than does Ginn, not to mention that Ginn is the worst WR on our roster. His best chance at seeing the field is in the Jet-Sweep or in a WR shortage.

We must keep in mind that:
1.) This team is in a far better place roster wise than last season.
2.) The 49ers drafted a really dangerous return guy with major value in RB high in the draft .
3.) We signed FA's, rookies and vets, who are return capable (especially Palmer).
4.) We know JH likes guys with value, who can do more than one thing well.
5.) Every WR on the roster is better at their craft than Ginn.
6.) Cox and James don't have the durability issues that Ginn has.
7.) This team is not gonna have the issues on offense this season that forced the coaching staff to lean so heavy on the return game last season. As we witnessed last season that has it's limits.

Again, with a deep talented team like this this roster won't suffer one-dimensional players long (see Blake Costanzo). Like it or not, Gin is gonna prove himself valuable to this team in other ways than just as a returner.

(BTW, it's not against the rules to use capital letters at the beginning of sentences. It makes reading a lot easier.)
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jul 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM ]
I hope we keep ginn as the primary returner...
I don't know how much ability cox has as a DB or as a returner but at least he has exp on his side. If he is gonna get any reps on D its t. brocks expense i don't think he's gonna bump culliver.
Lmj has had some injury issues mostly minor stuff, the biggest one being his elbow. I may be nit picky but 17 punt returns in his college career isn't enough to crown him as the no. 1 threat to ginns job.
Kyle williams returning punts again is something i just don't want to see.