LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I'm watching the playoff game against the Saints. First quarter drive, Teddy caught a good slant pass for a first down. Next play, Smith seems to changed the play. Doing his 'kill kill' signal. Smith do a quick 3 steps drop, throws a quick out intended for Ginn. Ginn did do a comeback except too late and ran too deep. The pass fell well behind him. Could have been close to another first down catch for Ginn.

Ginn is not short of abilities. The Saints were giving him a lot of cushion and respect his speed. Ginn needs to improve his knowledge and recognition of the game. And most of all his time with Alex Smith. He needs camp like Crabtree in a big way. With more receivers this year, Roman will only call a few plays per game to each of his guys. If any of the receivers want more touches, they better show they can be consistent.

Nice post! I agree...they finally have time to really work on things like this too...guys like Ginn/Moss/Manningham/VD/Jenkins (even LMJ/Hunter) are so fast and a real threat to take it deep that DB's are going to have to play way off. Crabtree/Williams/Jenkins are going to have a field day underneath!!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm watching the playoff game against the Saints. First quarter drive, Teddy caught a good slant pass for a first down. Next play, Smith seems to changed the play. Doing his 'kill kill' signal. Smith do a quick 3 steps drop, throws a quick out intended for Ginn. Ginn did do a comeback except too late and ran too deep. The pass fell well behind him. Could have been close to another first down catch for Ginn.

Ginn is not short of abilities. The Saints were giving him a lot of cushion and respect his speed. Ginn needs to improve his knowledge and recognition of the game. And most of all his time with Alex Smith. He needs camp like Crabtree in a big way. With more receivers this year, Roman will only call a few plays per game to each of his guys. If any of the receivers want more touches, they better show they can be consistent.

Nice post! I agree...they finally have time to really work on things like this too...guys like Ginn/Moss/Manningham/VD/Jenkins (even LMJ/Hunter) are so fast and a real threat to take it deep that DB's are going to have to play way off. Crabtree/Williams/Jenkins are going to have a field day underneath!!!

I honestly did not read your previous post before I posted. We just came to the same conclusion about Teddy Ginn. He has value to this offense last year despite his infamous losing track of the overhead ball moment. We appreciated Teddy Ginn for what he contributed. I think he still has a place in this offense. Even though it seems crowded at the moment with receivers.
Qnn, based on last yrs limping into the Playoffs with receivers of Vernon, kyle, crbtre, frank...and that was it....I don't think we can have too many receivers, regardless of position. 2 TEs, 5 WRs, 3 HBs...I don't care. Just get guys out there who can concentrate, run crisp routes, and catch like they had flypaper on their hands. My prediction is that even with all these potential receivers, the guy making most receptions, most YAC, most 3rd down conversions, most receptions in RZ, is.....
La Michael. He will be alex's go to bailout guy, and will always be open. Whether a pitch, short pass, no matter, get it to La Michael and let him dance all over the field. Once he becomes the threat I believe Coach wants him to be, THEN look out for guys over the middle, AJ, crbs, mario, moss, whoever. And it will ultimately make the DBs creep closer which is exactly what we want for Vernon, probably moss, maybe mario, probably not crbs. Kyle would be another jet if DBs cramp the line. On paper, we look like someone nobody will want to play. And of course, then there is frank, with a good dose of hunter. mmmmm......

Last yr i couldn't wait for STs and D to hit the field. This yr, I can't wait for the third leg of the stool....the O. I will NOT be disappointed.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Qnn, based on last yrs limping into the Playoffs with receivers of Vernon, kyle, crbtre, frank...and that was it....I don't think we can have too many receivers, regardless of position. 2 TEs, 5 WRs, 3 HBs...I don't care. Just get guys out there who can concentrate, run crisp routes, and catch like they had flypaper on their hands. My prediction is that even with all these potential receivers, the guy making most receptions, most YAC, most 3rd down conversions, most receptions in RZ, is.....
La Michael. He will be alex's go to bailout guy, and will always be open. Whether a pitch, short pass, no matter, get it to La Michael and let him dance all over the field. Once he becomes the threat I believe Coach wants him to be, THEN look out for guys over the middle, AJ, crbs, mario, moss, whoever. And it will ultimately make the DBs creep closer which is exactly what we want for Vernon, probably moss, maybe mario, probably not crbs. Kyle would be another jet if DBs cramp the line. On paper, we look like someone nobody will want to play. And of course, then there is frank, with a good dose of hunter. mmmmm......

Last yr i couldn't wait for STs and D to hit the field. This yr, I can't wait for the third leg of the stool....the O. I will NOT be disappointed.

I agree, the potential is there for a lot of these guys to contribute in a very good way. And I see them solved the one thing that people have been complaining about the offense. The lack of making the defense pay for blitzing. I think as you mention having LaMichael James as one of the guys that will help in that area tremendously. Smith now has some guys that he can look to when he knows a blitz is eminent. Not just so that they can be tackled for a loss. A few of these guys has the ability to make that first defender miss and maybe make some nice yardage gains. How demoralizing is it for the defense to know that they coordinated a blitz perfectly but yet little LaMichael James made something out of what should have been nothing. The variety of offensive formations coupled with a good set of different personnel combo will make this offense unstoppable. I just can't wait for this sh*t to start. With G-RO dialing up some wicked plays to go with Fangio wicked, nasty defense.

The lack of making the defense pay for blitzing.
How demoralizing is it for the defense to know that they coordinated a blitz perfectly but yet little LaMichael James made something out of what should have been nothing. The variety of offensive formations coupled with a good set of different personnel combo will make this offense unstoppable. I just can't wait for this sh*t to start. With G-RO dialing up some wicked plays to go with Fangio wicked, nasty defense.

I can see us pulling out some wicked screens. Staley must be the best pulling OT, and even Boone will surprise people with his new-found agility.

The problem I see is that we need to get the batted passes minimized. Seems like we had SO many passes knocked down. Our OL would mirror the DL pretty well, but left the DL free to watch the QB and time their jumps/stretches well. That's been costing us some crucial completions.
I predict more batted passes but fewer sacks. This would result from stopping the forward rush and the Dlines getting frustrated and standing. If that happens I hope the OLine gets more aggressive in getting them on the ground. Might be the nastiest line in the NFL...in a good way. Very tenacious. If Kilgore can take the center job it would be even nastier.

They should be great at screens and even sweeps...very mobile while being huge. Ginn on the sweep will still be a good weapon.

I honestly did not read your previous post before I posted. We just came to the same conclusion about Teddy Ginn. He has value to this offense last year despite his infamous losing track of the overhead ball moment. We appreciated Teddy Ginn for what he contributed. I think he still has a place in this offense. Even though it seems crowded at the moment with receivers.

No question...he will be down the depth chart but I'm guessing we'll still have some major plays designed for him esp. the fly sweep (which is unstoppable), maybe a WR screen or use he and Moss' speed on the outside to attack the end zone or utilize Crabtree/Williams/Jenkins underneath. Ginn did pretty well last year in his first year in our offense and Alex seemed to look for him often. Knowing that he could be 5th or 6th on the depth chart is pretty encouraging!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I predict more batted passes but fewer sacks. This would result from stopping the forward rush and the Dlines getting frustrated and standing. If that happens I hope the OLine gets more aggressive in getting them on the ground. Might be the nastiest line in the NFL...in a good way. Very tenacious. If Kilgore can take the center job it would be even nastier.

They should be great at screens and even sweeps...very mobile while being huge. Ginn on the sweep will still be a good weapon.

Good point by you and oldman9er. This OL is fantastic out in space and pulling. They are poor at sealing the edges for runs off tackle - need to improve here and in short yardage and especially, pass blocking. But these knocked-downed passes is another great point. Many of these were drive killers.
Good point by you and oldman9er. This OL is fantastic out in space and pulling. They are poor at sealing the edges for runs off tackle - need to improve here and in short yardage and especially, pass blocking. But these knocked-downed passes is another great point. Many of these were drive killers.

Yes, the difference between their ability to seal the edge on the fly versus off tackle with Gore is really substantial. Ginn's speed certainly helps but the other difference is using the D players reactions against them. On the off tackle plays there is less confusion for the D and a shorter time for the play to develop. It actually gives me hope for line improvement in that they seem to have good instincts in using the D players aggressiveness against them. They just need to get their timing down for power rushing...perhaps use more traps or cross blocks.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Yes, the difference between their ability to seal the edge on the fly versus off tackle with Gore is really substantial. Ginn's speed certainly helps but the other difference is using the D players reactions against them. On the off tackle plays there is less confusion for the D and a shorter time for the play to develop. It actually gives me hope for line improvement in that they seem to have good instincts in using the D players aggressiveness against them. They just need to get their timing down for power rushing...perhaps use more traps or cross blocks.

Great point. With Ginn (and Williams was very successful on this fly sweep as well), Staley or Davis only needed to pinch the DE inside for a second or a WR would crack-back block and both Ginn and Williams would literally just outrun the LB's to the edge for big gains. For it to work, you need a Crabtree to block his DB effectively down field as well. But man, I don't see how this play is stoppable. You can now do this same concept with the speed of Hunter/LMJ from a running formation. The pitch-outs with Hunter was a different type of stretch-play blocking but again, with Staley, TE, WR and pulling guard out in space blocking, it was very successful as well. This coaching staff had all last year to see what worked well...now we can build off it!

Ted Ginn will most likely lose his spot on the team. www.ninerempire.com
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
He will only get cut if the team finds someone they can trust to take his place and I am not sure you can do that in a off season. Ginn is a luxury(one dimensional player) that we can afford this year but i am pretty sure that the team will look to fill his spot for next year and not resign him. i think one of the kids we drafted should be able to take that spot next year.You have to have someone blow up 100 per cent in the return game in the pre season for the team to consider cutting him.i do not think it is realistic but I have been wrong lots of times
Originally posted by cciowa:
He will only get cut if the team finds someone they can trust to take his place and I am not sure you can do that in a off season. Ginn is a luxury(one dimensional player) that we can afford this year but i am pretty sure that the team will look to fill his spot for next year and not resign him. i think one of the kids we drafted should be able to take that spot next year.You have to have someone blow up 100 per cent in the return game in the pre season for the team to consider cutting him.i do not think it is realistic but I have been wrong lots of times

Agree...and he adds experience as a WR in this offense (did better than most think too) and there is so much you can do with his speed (fly sweeps screens, post pattern deep threat, clearing out space, etc.). If a Moss doesn't pan out or Manningham has an injury, Alex knows he can trust him out there esp. on 3rd downs. That makes his value more than just a returner. Plus by retaining him, you push the others to truly step up their games as receivers to vie for playing time. And lets not forget that returning punts/kick offs in Candlestick is one of the hardest things to do esp. come playoff time.
I don't see anyone replacing Ginn this year. Using a rookie or young guy who has proven nothing over the long haul of a season would be a great risk. Ginn is top two or three in the league in a very under-appreciated job.

Even if Jenkins or James looked really good, do you put your team's success in the hands of a rookie? No!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Agree...and he adds experience as a WR in this offense (did better than most think too) and there is so much you can do with his speed (fly sweeps screens, post pattern deep threat, clearing out space, etc.). If a Moss doesn't pan out or Manningham has an injury, Alex knows he can trust him out there esp. on 3rd downs. That makes his value more than just a returner. Plus by retaining him, you push the others to truly step up their games as receivers to vie for playing time. And lets not forget that returning punts/kick offs in Candlestick is one of the hardest things to do esp. come playoff time.
yes , you are right. i did not mean to take away from what he can do as a wide out but we all know he is not known to much for that. Thank you for reminding me about the sweeps and end arounds as he is very very valuable in that area. Yes i was a bit to harsh when I called him a one dimensional player. thank you for keeping me on the up and up as we say in iowa
Share 49ersWebzone