There are 143 users in the forums

No. 5: Vernon Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
It's not like we like to knock on our 49ers QB. But one of the main reasons VD is number 5 on the list is cause Alex is not an 'elite' QB.

Not exactly true. Vernon had to spend the first half of the season, blocking because he didn't have the playbook down, and still gained enough ground to be ranked 5th.

That my friend is a very scarry thought.

So Alex has the brains and VD has the skill. HMMM?
Originally posted by juycho:
It's not like we like to knock on our 49ers QB. But one of the main reasons VD is number 5 on the list is cause Alex is not an 'elite' QB.

Not exactly true. Vernon had to spend the first half of the season, blocking because he didn't have the playbook down, and still gained enough ground to be ranked 5th.

That's what Vernon said, that the offense was so complicated he spent a lot of time blocking because he was still learning the playbook in the first 8 weeks.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
That's what Vernon said, that the offense was so complicated he spent a lot of time blocking because he was still learning the playbook in the first 8 weeks.

That is actually a good thing. If it is that hard to learn then with the full off season these guys should all collectively get better next year. Makes sense and is actually impressive they did what they did with so little time to prepare.
Originally posted by juycho:

VD doesn't strike me as a particularly intelligent football player. My cousin worked with him on a promo back when Martz was the OC and he said Davis said he was having a hard time learning the playbook.
VD doesn't strike me as a particularly intelligent football player. My cousin worked with him on a promo back when Martz was the OC and he said Davis said he was having a hard time learning the playbook.

Is all good, just catch it and keep running for 50 yards after the catch. Doesn't matter if his route is completely wrong in the grand scheme of things.. lol
I would have to rank him below those guys too but only because he still doesnt have the best hands. Those guys pluck passes out of the air. Vernon catches it if it's in his bread basket.
Originally posted by BayArea:

Is all good, just catch it and keep running for 50 yards after the catch. Doesn't matter if his route is completely wrong in the grand scheme of things.. lol

Well now since he has learned the play book he should be ready to for this year. Maybe he can now practice how to do endzone dances without getting penalized.
I think Vernon should be 3 or 4 on the list. Where is Gates on the list? He's had some injuries but the guy is still one of the best TE in the game. My top 5 would be Witten, Gates, Vernon,Gronk and Hernandez. It doesnt matter though its an ESPN list which means nothing.
Originally posted by susweel:
Man VD is a f**king beast, he played big when the games mattered the most. You cannot cover that dude with one person.

^
Originally posted by E-49er:
I think Vernon should be 3 or 4 on the list. Where is Gates on the list? He's had some injuries but the guy is still one of the best TE in the game. My top 5 would be Witten, Gates, Vernon,Gronk and Hernandez. It doesnt matter though its an ESPN list which means nothing.

Gate should be retired.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
NFL ‏@nfl

The Top 3 TEs in football, according to @MoveTheSticks(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8296bd45/article/nfl-podium-awards-gronk-grabs-gold-at-tight-end?campaign=Twitter_writers_jeremiah): 1. @RobGronkowski 2.@TheJimmyGraham 3. @VernonDavis85 AGREE?
Originally posted by Jcool:
NFL ‏@nfl

The Top 3 TEs in football, according to @MoveTheSticks(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8296bd45/article/nfl-podium-awards-gronk-grabs-gold-at-tight-end?campaign=Twitter_writers_jeremiah): 1. @RobGronkowski 2.@TheJimmyGraham 3. @VernonDavis85 AGREE?

i agree VD is more athlethic but graham and growkowski have great hands maybe even top 10 in nfl including the WRs

if VD becomes more fluid then he will increase from 3
Share 49ersWebzone