LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 306 users in the forums

No. 5: Vernon Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hateroids84:
It's not like we like to knock on our 49ers QB. But one of the main reasons VD is number 5 on the list is cause Alex is not an 'elite' QB.

Not exactly true. Vernon had to spend the first half of the season, blocking because he didn't have the playbook down, and still gained enough ground to be ranked 5th.
He didn't watch the playoffs
Gronk and Graham have distinct advantages of having elite QB's. Hard to argue Davis wouldn't put up way better numbers with either of those QB's
Originally posted by susweel:
He probably could have had 20 tds with Brady or Brees.

graham and gronk have much better hands than VD and much better wepons surrounding him so its almost impossible for D just to focus on 1 player like they did against us last year

and not to mention the fact he didnt understand the plabook till like week 10 so he was asked to block majority of the time at the beginning of the season
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I'd say he's 3 or 4. Behind Gronk, Graham, and maybe Antonio Gates if he's healthy. He's better than Witten and Hernandez though.

This
Vernon is by far a better overall TE than anyone with his atheletic ability. if he had a pro bowl QB his numbers would be just as good if not better than those guys. even without a pro bowl QB he is still 3 or 4.
Originally posted by niners9:
Vernon is by far a better overall TE than anyone with his atheletic ability. if he had a pro bowl QB his numbers would be just as good if not better than those guys. even without a pro bowl QB he is still 3 or 4.

i disagree here

he has the best athlethic ability out of all TE in the nfl no doubt but hes not the best football player if that makes sense- he isnt that fluid with his routes and has very inconsistant hands. As of now hes relying mostly on his athllethics to get open

gronk and graham are athlethic and better footbal players which is VD is #3

however we could say that him changing systems so often kind of hinders his route running skills so we shall see this year
I'd say he's 3 or 4. Behind Gronk, Graham, and maybe Antonio Gates if he's healthy. He's better than Witten and Hernandez though.

I think VD is a more explosive tight end than Witten, but I consider Jason Witten to be the most reliable pass-catching tight end in the league. If I had a young QB who needed a receiver in the middle of the field on third down, I'd choose Witten over any other tight end. He's a great target.

With that said though, Vernon Davis is a playmaker, and showed in the playoffs that he's a clutch performer.
I dont know what goes into rankinng TEs, but I think it comes down to this: Who would you want on your team? Me, I'll take Vernon over all those guys. Gronk would be an awesome number two though.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

I think VD is a more explosive tight end than Witten, but I consider Jason Witten to be the most reliable pass-catching tight end in the league. If I had a young QB who needed a receiver in the middle of the field on third down, I'd choose Witten over any other tight end. He's a great target.

With that said though, Vernon Davis is a playmaker, and showed in the playoffs that he's a clutch performer.
He is like his name Venereal Disease to other teams. I haven't heard much from him this off season though.
[ Edited by juycho on May 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM ]

So you guys would trade Vernon for Graham or Gronk? Like has been pointed out they owe a lot to their elite QB's. I personally wouldn't trade him for either one of those guys.
Originally posted by BayArea:
So you guys would trade Vernon for Graham or Gronk? Like has been pointed out they owe a lot to their elite QB's. I personally wouldn't trade him for either one of those guys.
VD for life. I would trade Gronk for Walker and Bynum though.
Originally posted by juycho:
VD for life. I would trade Gronk for Walker and Bynum though.

Yeah that is for sure.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Yes probablly going of last Yeste stats quede he was Asked to Glock tve first 10 Gámez or so cause he didnt understand the playbook

Lmaoooo
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
It's not like we like to knock on our 49ers QB. But one of the main reasons VD is number 5 on the list is cause Alex is not an 'elite' QB.

Not exactly true. Vernon had to spend the first half of the season, blocking because he didn't have the playbook down, and still gained enough ground to be ranked 5th.

That my friend is a very scarry thought.
Share 49ersWebzone