There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by alpha81:
Other than last yrs good performance what has Dashon Goldson done to act like a great FS? The guy has great potential but he's acting like a diva (i.e. Crabtree).

He struts (or is it swags?) really well, dammit! Pay him 11 mil a year just for posturing!
Funny how this dude was so likeable before his contract demands.
I'd be hard pressed to say Goldson's a top 5 FS...he showed the playmaking skills last year we've been hoping to see since he got into the starting lineup. But, that was only one season...I think it'd be a poor management decision to pay him as a top 5 FS. He simply doesn't have the body of work to support that. I'm sure Baalke has made/will make him a fair offer. If he chooses not to sign, that's on him.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd be hard pressed to say Goldson's a top 5 FS...he showed the playmaking skills last year we've been hoping to see since he got into the starting lineup. But, that was only one season...I think it'd be a poor management decision to pay him as a top 5 FS. He simply doesn't have the body of work to support that. I'm sure Baalke has made/will make him a fair offer. If he chooses not to sign, that's on him.

Agreed. I have a lot of confidence that the FO will not pay him a record FS contract.
Goldon's biggest problem was that he had Drew Rosenhaus sitting on his shoulder telling him he was the best safety in football. If I'm not mistaken the team offered him a contract extension 3 years ago after his first good season and he thought he could get a deal like Rolle at 5yr/37million which was insanely overpriced. When goldson then had a down year he found the market wasn't as hot for him as he thought, hence he comes back to the niners on the cheap for one year. So he has dumped Rosenhaus for not being able to get him a big deal. I still think he wants that big deal he thinks he deserves. I'm also scared that he will pull a Haynesworth and stop trying once he gets paid.
Originally posted by 707Niners:
1. Troy Polomalu
2. Ed Reed
3. Adrian Wilson
4. Donte Whitner
5. Earl Thomas
6. Dashon Goldson
7. Kam Chancellor
8. Nick Collins
9. Michael Griffin
10. Eric Berry


Mays will move up this chart.
great young player, one of the best at his position, and important to our success. well liked in the locker room, too. i think the team will have an insurance policy in case something doesn't get done, but it would be really nice to lock him up long-term.
I clicked no, because thats the end of the thread.
Any news on the contract front? I wonder if the FO is still actively working towards an extension or if they're at a stalemate.
If he can be a safety who can finally defend passes over the top (without starting 30 yards deep) and ESPECIALLY over the top along the sidelines (always late), not leave gapping holes in the middle of the field in the RZ and clean up his poor angles, be more of a sure tackler and not hesitate when attacking (lead to some big play TD's against us) and continue to grow along with his other attributes, we could talk about a contract extension that ranks right up there. If he was smart, he'd build upon last year's success and prove he has a compete game and I'm sure this FO would have no issues doling out the $ for a LT contract up there with the top 5 in the game.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,886
I'm not even gonna read thru this thread. HELLL NOOOO to your question.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,957
Originally posted by NCommand:
If he can be a safety who can finally defend passes over the top (without starting 30 yards deep) and ESPECIALLY over the top along the sidelines (always late), not leave gapping holes in the middle of the field in the RZ and clean up his poor angles, be more of a sure tackler and not hesitate when attacking (lead to some big play TD's against us) and continue to grow along with his other attributes, we could talk about a contract extension that ranks right up there. If he was smart, he'd build upon last year's success and prove he has a compete game and I'm sure this FO would have no issues doling out the $ for a LT contract up there with the top 5 in the game.

Good post. He does still have flaws in his game that he apparently does not recognize in his demands for big money. The most critical is his failure to read the deep sideline routes as you noted.

I sometimes think he realizes he has flaws that get exposed occasionally and so he wants to get paid before the rest of the league figures him out. Once that happens his value will go down.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,902
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Makes big plays, gives up big plays. Not worth it. Worthy of a few million a year, no more.


They offered him 5 years $25 million last year.... And he will make above $6 million this year. And above $6 million average on a long term deal very likely. And he's worth that. You don't have to pay him $7 - $8 million. But $6 plus he will likely get and he is worth that.

You know very well that 5 years 25M offer means very little. NFL contracts are inflated, and the real worth of the contract is realized after one knows the breakdown. Brooks contract is a perfect example.

Personally, I won't sign Goldson this season to a long-term contract. I'll wait a year, see if he can play at the pro-bowl level for two straight years. If he does that, I'd give him top 5 money.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
No, he's not worth #1, or top 5. He's a top 20 safety maaaybeee.... He's not even the best safety on our team!

So we know you dont watch much football...
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,957
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Makes big plays, gives up big plays. Not worth it. Worthy of a few million a year, no more.


They offered him 5 years $25 million last year.... And he will make above $6 million this year. And above $6 million average on a long term deal very likely. And he's worth that. You don't have to pay him $7 - $8 million. But $6 plus he will likely get and he is worth that.

You know very well that 5 years 25M offer means very little. NFL contracts are inflated, and the real worth of the contract is realized after one knows the breakdown. Brooks contract is a perfect example.

Personally, I won't sign Goldson this season to a long-term contract. I'll wait a year, see if he can play at the pro-bowl level for two straight years. If he does that, I'd give him top 5 money.

Or you can only sign him to a contract that makes sense on actual performance and fits within the salary structure. Otherwise, the reps that Spillman is getting now may find him an adequate replacement. Spillman has a bit of the crazies in him and is a hitter but a bit faster than Goldson. If Goldson plays around too long, and Spillman shows he can handle the job, Dashon may be sitting on the couch when the season starts.

While I think that is an unlikely scenario, the reps Spillman is getting now with the 1st unit is only going to help him and the team whether or not Goldson re-signs.