LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:
*_ Donte Whitner is not better than Dashon Goldson and to say Whitner is a top 10 safety? *cough* HOMER *cough* BIASED *cough*
*_ Dashon Goldson may not be a Top 5 but he could be a Top 10 but more accurately a Top 15
*_ I don't expect any team to offer Dashon Goldson a Top 5 contract so he'll want to stay with this unit.

We have two safeties in the top 10 or atleast top 15....Before Whitner came 2 SF he was a top 10 safety, he has a good year with us and you put him out of the top 15? They have 2 different games, Goldson can read the deep balls really well, and Whitner is a excellent safety 2 put in the box 2 stop the run...These 2 safeties are still young, and can still get better...Goldson isnt going anywhere, there gonna sign him long-term
Originally posted by Fasteddy:
No. Safety is not a position where you want to invest top money. One dominant CB maybe, and in your front 7.

Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Hey guys tell me if I'm wrong. Dashon Goldson had a fabuluos pass couple years with hard hits and some nice int's but it seems to me he was getting burned on a lot of big plays. I really think he is worth what they offered him a year ago 5years 25million

No doubt he sometimes totally whiffs, then it's "adios defense" as the offensive player is sprinting towards the end zone.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Hey guys tell me if I'm wrong. Dashon Goldson had a fabuluos pass couple years with hard hits and some nice int's but it seems to me he was getting burned on a lot of big plays. I really think he is worth what they offered him a year ago 5years 25million

No doubt he sometimes totally whiffs, then it's "adios defense" as the offensive player is sprinting towards the end zone.

He makes way more big plays for the defense than let's big plays happen to the defense. Nobody seems to want to give him credit for why our defense is so dominant.
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Originally posted by djfullshred:

He makes way more big plays for the defense than let's big plays happen to the defense. Nobody seems to want to give him credit for why our defense is so dominant.

also how many "whiffs" are people talking about...I swear some just want to mention that Larry Fitz play ( I mean that's F'n Larry Fitzgerald!) and then there was that amazing play Sproles does to everyone coming out of the backfield.
in all honesty...i love goldson but i put god family and friends first, then the niners and then individual players. this organization better stand
its ground now or they will lose a certain type of credibility if they cave here with a bigger contract than they want to. just the way i view it of course
Originally posted by d49izme:
in all honesty...i love goldson but i put god family and friends first, then the niners and then individual players. this organization better stand
its ground now or they will lose a certain type of credibility if they cave here with a bigger contract than they want to. just the way i view it of course

... The Niners simply MUST be put first...
I hope we don't pay him big money... I hope baalke keeps with the plan of good drafting and letting people walk with inflated egos.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
No, he's not worth #1, or top 5. He's a top 20 safety maaaybeee.... He's not even the best safety on our team!

He's top 5 and that's what he will get on a 1 year deal and a long term deal. They offered him close to that last year. And this year was better for him. So how is he not top 5?

seriously, saying hes a top 20 safety maybe is ridiculous.
He's a top 5 safety
In no order.. Polamalu, Reed, Goldson, Earl Thomas, and Weddle, or Berry for the 5th spot
true ball hawk and a very hard hitter and hes only 27.

I hope we sign him to a long term deal. Safeties are not easy to find
[ Edited by ImaMod on May 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I hope Baalke sticks to what he was offered last year, if it can't be worked out, make TJ McDonald or Robert Lester our 1st round pick.

Goldson is a f**king beast. If he had played the Dallas game there is no f**king way we lose to them.
No. I'd settle for 5-10 type money.
Paying Goldson what he wants, rather than what he's worth would be a huge mistake. First off, our FO doesn't work like that. Secondly, it could have a negative tickle down effect when we try to extend guys like Bowman.
there is just so much money, and it has to be divied up according to position, quality of player, improvement of player, know how and attitude of player(ie does he show up every game), age of player, speed of player, tackling and coverage abilities, plus a host of other issues. Nobody wants to see Goldson go elsewhere, but I am converting from "pay the man" to "pay the man what our roster can tolerate at each and every position.". I have seen what overpaying a guy can lead to. First thing after you overpay him is that another player "Has to have" more money. In short a vicious cycle, and is a special skill for guys like Baalke, Marathe, and Coach to some extent. This team hasn't really followed that credo until the combo of B&H took over. Now it is very apparent what happens if you overpay...everyone else wants the same, and there comes a time when you just flat can't overpay anymore. Meantime, you have decimated your team because you couldn't afford to keep your worker bees at league wide salary range. Overpaying is like playing with nitroglycerin...one slip and bluieeee. That is why I am so stoked by our F.O. guys, and the job that they have done.

Remember not too long ago, we had to let Julian Peterson go, because we were so upside down with lousy talent...but worse, many were way overpaid. The current front office understands that and holds their ground. Best I've heard so far is wait out 2012 and if he duplicates or improves on 2011, hey great. But it looks like he is worth what he was offered . If he dosen't like that, then B& H have it on their shoulders to figure out if he can and should be overpaid a bit...say with incentives. That is a tough job they have, signing players, and then figuring out how much they can pay/ position. I wouldn't want to be responsible for that.
Other than last yrs good performance what has Dashon Goldson done to act like he's a great FS? The guy has great potential but he's acting like a diva (i.e. Crabtree).
[ Edited by alpha81 on May 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone