There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kilgore working at Center with the 1st team

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The more I think about it, the less I like Boone or Davis at guard. We have Kilgore, Looney, and Person. We are thin at Tackle, if Boone slides over we might have to cut a guard and sign a veteran FA after cut downs, to add some depth. I would like to see, Joe Staley, Mike Iupat, Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Anthony Davis.
With Boone back-up at tackle, and Looney as back-up guard, and Kilgore backing up center.

Looney makes a lot of sense for a backup guard, but he's injured right now. Sorta put his development on hold. Probably one of the reason they are trying Boone at guard also.

I agree, I just can't see Boone at guard all season, makes little sense to me, based on his body type, and roaster full of guards, thin on tackles.

Agreed! Most likely in the end, you'll have Kilgore/Looney battling it out at RG, Boone as the swing T and backup experience at C with Kilgore/Slowey. But then again, with a full offseason to assess the best 5 and the need to get play makers such as Hunter/James out on the edges in space, expect many multiple lineup changes/assessments.
Good , he needs the work ...Slowey and Looney should get a look at Center too, gotta see what kind of skill sets they have
Originally posted by NCommand:
The more I think about it, the less I like Boone or Davis at guard. We have Kilgore, Looney, and Person. We are thin at Tackle, if Boone slides over we might have to cut a guard and sign a veteran FA after cut downs, to add some depth. I would like to see, Joe Staley, Mike Iupat, Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Anthony Davis.
With Boone back-up at tackle, and Looney as back-up guard, and Kilgore backing up center.

Looney makes a lot of sense for a backup guard, but he's injured right now. Sorta put his development on hold. Probably one of the reason they are trying Boone at guard also.

I agree, I just can't see Boone at guard all season, makes little sense to me, based on his body type, and roaster full of guards, thin on tackles.

Agreed! Most likely in the end, you'll have Kilgore/Looney battling it out at RG, Boone as the swing T and backup experience at C with Kilgore/Slowey. But then again, with a full offseason to assess the best 5 and the need to get play makers such as Hunter/James out on the edges in space, expect many multiple lineup changes/assessments.

I would give the edge to Kilgore, based on experience, if he learns center, the when/if Goodwin gets hurt, Kilgore slides over and loony comes in. Despite the fact that I've been a big fan of Boone since day one, I just think that he would be out of position regardless of his talent, I would rather see him unseat Davis (not likely) than start at guard, and of course the depth thing, just not enough tackles on the team to waste Boone's time learning guard, when we have so many guards.
Could be a sign of Goodwin being released, even though he played good down the stretch in 2011. I'd rather keep Goodwin till end of 2013, then hand it over to Kilgore.
Man, with what the coaches did with the young players Baalke brought in last year, it is exciting and almost expected that the players who didn't immediately play are in great hands during their development.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I would give the edge to Kilgore, based on experience, if he learns center, the when/if Goodwin gets hurt, Kilgore slides over and loony comes in. Despite the fact that I've been a big fan of Boone since day one, I just think that he would be out of position regardless of his talent, I would rather see him unseat Davis (not likely) than start at guard, and of course the depth thing, just not enough tackles on the team to waste Boone's time learning guard, when we have so many guards.

Totally agree. Was it Ray Brown who's been training him who publicly said Boone is more ideal for the T position? Agree with all the other points as well.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Could be a sign of Goodwin being released, even though he played good down the stretch in 2011. I'd rather keep Goodwin till end of 2013, then hand it over to Kilgore.

Mods! Please move this to the Bold Prediction thread. LMAO
With Kilgore getting snaps at Center that means we have Goodwin starting at Center, with Beeler, Kilgore, and Slowey with Center experience. At RG we have Boone practicing to get him used to the idea and then we have Kilgore, Looney, and Slowey with Guard experience. So the issue right now is who backs up Boone at Tackle if something should happen to him. There are a few more linemen on our squad who will be evaluated, coached, and practiced until we know who are starters are and who our backups are. Harbaalke have it covered.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think Person will be the backup to Boone at swing tackle, though I kinda like D.Hall as a longshot/project
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
Even if Kilgire

Originally posted by Joecool:
Man, with what the coaches did with the young players Baalke brought in last year, it is exciting and almost expected that the players who didn't immediately play are in great hands during their development.

maybe..maybe not

we did just draft another 2 guys for the OL
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Joecool:

maybe..maybe not

we did just draft another 2 guys for the OL

They weren't able to save Rachal's career with the team, so I haven't see the development of OLinemen as with other positions. That could be due to the inheritance issue...not their kind of linemen. Or it could just be the time it takes to learn a new line system. At any rate, they seem happy with 3/5 of their line and are working hard to fix the other 2/5.

Backups:

OT: Boone, Person, Kilgore, Slowey, Netter, Hall
OG: Boone, Kilgore, Goodwin, Looney, Slowey, Gonzales, Chisholm
C: Kilgore, Slowey, Beeler, Person, Looney

Seems like they have depth, but experience is a bit lacking. Nice to see so many players with multiple position capabilities.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I really love this... exactly where I wanted Kilgore to be focused on. Looks like we have some legit solutions at RG with Boone and Looney. Now we have some strong people to push Goodwin at C with Kilgore and perhaps Slowey. Have to find ways to improve the C/RG spots!

Did I miss something? Are you giving up on Boone at RT? Was an article posted?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/165653-alex-boone-competing-at-og/
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/165653-alex-boone-competing-at-og/

Thanks. I saw that, but I wasn't sure if something more definitive came out and crushed his dreams.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home