LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 197 users in the forums

Kilgore working at Center with the 1st team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With Goodwin "excused" from mini-camp, Kilgore was running with the "ones" with Boone at RG. You can't be excused from voluntary work-outs, so did "excused" mean "stay home" until OTA's so we can see if this kid can take your job? I'd love to see Kilgore push Goodwin out a year ahead of schedule.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Kilgore-Increasing-Versatility/88729195-e131-49e8-a157-45b1ccd59ebf

The video of the o-line working on their choreography got me pumped . . . training camp can't get here fast enough.
OMG! NO WAY!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Hopefully he does'nt Kill Gore.
Even if Kilgire
I really love this... exactly where I wanted Kilgore to be focused on. Looks like we have some legit solutions at RG with Boone and Looney. Now we have some strong people to push Goodwin at C with Kilgore and perhaps Slowey. Have to find ways to improve the C/RG spots!
Kolgire....
I agree this is what the doctor ordered and enjoyed Kilgore stating that you never want to be a one position player. I would think that Boone may start this year at RG and give Looney a year to learn, then move back to tackle if Looney is all the team thinks he is. Slowey will be good depth at both C and OG. Wonder if they are moving the timetable up to this year for Kilgore at C? Would certainly make the situation more clear...could keep more of the young guys active.
With no Snyder on the squad they needed someone at back-up center. This tells me something different.

Kilgore will start at RG, Boone is an experiment while Looney learns to back-up RG.

The reason I say this is that IMHO this coaching staff plans for contingencies well. If your center gets hurt, the best person to transition in is the RG because he has been on the field and should know all the calls - even during a game. So your first player off the bench goes to RG, not the critical center position.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
With no Snyder on the squad they needed someone at back-up center. This tells me something different.

Kilgore will start at RG, Boone is an experiment while Looney learns to back-up RG.

The reason I say this is that IMHO this coaching staff plans for contingencies well. If your center gets hurt, the best person to transition in is the RG because he has been on the field and should know all the calls - even during a game. So your first player off the bench goes to RG, not the critical center position.

Good comment, seems right.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by HearstFan:

Good comment, seems right.

Kilgore will learn the Center position while playing guard next to Goodwin. If Goodwin gets injured Kilgore goes inside to center. Maybe Boone to guard if need be. Makes a lot of sense.

The more I think about it, the less I like Boone or Davis at guard. We have Kilgore, Looney, and Person. We are thin at Tackle, if Boone slides over we might have to cut a guard and sign a veteran FA after cut downs, to add some depth. I would like to see, Joe Staley, Mike Iupat, Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Anthony Davis.
With Boone back-up at tackle, and Looney as back-up guard, and Kilgore backing up center.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
The more I think about it, the less I like Boone or Davis at guard. We have Kilgore, Looney, and Person. We are thin at Tackle, if Boone slides over we might have to cut a guard and sign a veteran FA after cut downs, to add some depth. I would like to see, Joe Staley, Mike Iupat, Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Anthony Davis.
With Boone back-up at tackle, and Looney as back-up guard, and Kilgore backing up center.

Looney makes a lot of sense for a backup guard, but he's injured right now. Sorta put his development on hold. Probably one of the reason they are trying Boone at guard also.

Sounds reasonable. We should have a better idea after the full team assembles for mandatory workouts.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Looney makes a lot of sense for a backup guard, but he's injured right now. Sorta put his development on hold. Probably one of the reason they are trying Boone at guard also.

I agree, I just can't see Boone at guard all season, makes little sense to me, based on his body type, and roaster full of guards, thin on tackles.
all of the Oline should spend some time at center and other positions to get on the same page and see things from a different perspective
Share 49ersWebzone