LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Kilgore working at Center with the 1st team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Did I miss something? Are you giving up on Boone at RT? Was an article posted?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/165653-alex-boone-competing-at-og/

Thanks. I saw that, but I wasn't sure if something more definitive came out and crushed his dreams.

Haha, no... no crushing of dreams yet. In truth, and as I am sure I stated before, I am actually good with a number of different outcomes playing out here.

Just feel the best one is the one where Boone IS at the RT and AD is inside at RG.
kendall hunter running with 1's at 1:32???
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
good for him
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
With Goodwin "excused" from mini-camp, Kilgore was running with the "ones" with Boone at RG. You can't be excused from voluntary work-outs, so did "excused" mean "stay home" until OTA's so we can see if this kid can take your job? I'd love to see Kilgore push Goodwin out a year ahead of schedule.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Kilgore-Increasing-Versatility/88729195-e131-49e8-a157-45b1ccd59ebf

The video of the o-line working on their choreography got me pumped . . . training camp can't get here fast enough.

I think he was excused cause he had some personal things to attend to. Kilgore was being groomed to be the backup guard and future center from the get go. So I see nothing extraordinary. Business as usuall, meaning prepare the troops for all coningencies.
It always helps to have versatility on the line. I think Person was getting some run at Center as well. I think it also makes you a better guard because you understand the line calls and how to read the defense. He gives us insurance if Goodwin goes down.

I doubt Goodwin is in trouble. He won the offensive line award for the team last year. He was highly instrumental in our success because of his veteran knowledge. He brought a lot to the team.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
It always helps to have versatility on the line. I think Person was getting some run at Center as well. I think it also makes you a better guard because you understand the line calls and how to read the defense. He gives us insurance if Goodwin goes down.

I doubt Goodwin is in trouble. He won the offensive line award for the team last year. He was highly instrumental in our success because of his veteran knowledge. He brought a lot to the team.

Eh... not really feeling this. PFF rated him the 3rd lousiest C in all of football last year.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/21/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-guards-and-centers/

Goodwin was terrible until after the bye week... then he started playing better, but was still pretty bad. Gets no push in the run game and has slow, lazy feet in pass pro that allowed too much quick penetration. I really hope that Kilgore can pull off a great preseason and usurp the C position quickly.
if kilgore is smart and can learn assignments im all for it
  • cools
  • Veteran
My OL thoughts...

Staley, Iupati, Davis..no worries there

Not a fan of Goodwin, but I think he gets one more season with us

Kilgore competes with Boone for starting RG, they give the job to Kilgore.
They want Kilgore to get game experience at guard before eventually taking over at center

Niner brass realizes that its more important to have Boone as the #1 backup tackle, who also plays tackle elegible in some sets
Boone does gain good experience at OG, so in a game he could step in if needed

Looney is eased into the mix, but will eventually take over the RG position

Person works at OG and OT as solid depth, though mostly inactive,
I could see us upgrading his spot along the way with a vet, or youngster with more upside

Slowey makes the 53 as the 9th OL, but will probably be inactive,
By this time next year, he may become Kilgore's backup at center, and provide depth at guard

Stanford guys, Beeler and Hall make the PS
Any speculation on the rotation at back up Center? There has been talk about Kilgore or Looney competing for the future starting center position. There has been a lot of talk of targeting a rookie OC in the draft, but unless the Niners have decided that neither of these two have what it takes, I don't really see a need. I'd rather focus on back up OT.
Alex was running the read option in that video. Nice

Originally posted by SundayTicket:
kendall hunter running with 1's at 1:32???

yeah that's him. encouraging i had to go frame by frame cause he went by like a blur
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The more I think about it, the less I like Boone or Davis at guard. We have Kilgore, Looney, and Person. We are thin at Tackle, if Boone slides over we might have to cut a guard and sign a veteran FA after cut downs, to add some depth. I would like to see, Joe Staley, Mike Iupat, Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Anthony Davis.
With Boone back-up at tackle, and Looney as back-up guard, and Kilgore backing up center.

Looney makes a lot of sense for a backup guard, but he's injured right now. Sorta put his development on hold. Probably one of the reason they are trying Boone at guard also.

I agree, I just can't see Boone at guard all season, makes little sense to me, based on his body type, and roaster full of guards, thin on tackles.

He is our swing T. He can always slide outside and Looney or Kilgore can play RG. Boone was fine there last year. Huge and good pass pro
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The more I think about it, the less I like Boone or Davis at guard. We have Kilgore, Looney, and Person. We are thin at Tackle, if Boone slides over we might have to cut a guard and sign a veteran FA after cut downs, to add some depth. I would like to see, Joe Staley, Mike Iupat, Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Anthony Davis.
With Boone back-up at tackle, and Looney as back-up guard, and Kilgore backing up center.

Looney makes a lot of sense for a backup guard, but he's injured right now. Sorta put his development on hold. Probably one of the reason they are trying Boone at guard also.

I agree, I just can't see Boone at guard all season, makes little sense to me, based on his body type, and roaster full of guards, thin on tackles.

He is our swing T. He can always slide outside and Looney or Kilgore can play RG. Boone was fine there last year. Huge and good pass pro

everything you quoted was from preseason last year. I think Boone has solidified himself at RG.

It would be great to see Looney or Kilgore step up and take the starting C job though. I'm excited to see how Looney preforms this preseason.
Based on his performance I see Boone satying put at RG. It would be great if Kilgore/Looney could step in anad play at a very good level at C and the nonstarter be te swing back-upG/C.

Then focus the draft elsewhere.
Draft Sweinke from Cal !!!!!..
Share 49ersWebzone