LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 418 users in the forums

Alex Boone competing at OG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/05/10/on-second-thought-boone-embracing-move-to-guard/

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Boone-Working-Out-at-Guard/6416555b-0602-4e1b-bf5e-6437c09bf4b3

Saw on 49ers.com that Alex Boone has been working at OG. I think this is a terrific idea. Best way to make sure you have the best five offensive lineman on the field at the same time. It will be interesting to see if he can win a job there. I think his competition with Kilgore, Looney, and Person (although Person is considered more the secondary backup swing guy) will ultimately show us what the best lineup along the OL will be.

Overall, at the very least I think this gives us tremendous depth across the whole line.

LT: Staley, Boone, Person
LG: Iupati, Kilgore, Looney, Slowey
C: Goodwin, Slowey, Kilgore, Person, Looney
RG: Kilgore, Boone, Looney, Person, Slowey
RT: Davis, Boone, Person

If the team firmly believes Boone has a shot to win that job, and he DOES win it, it will definitely make the unexpected passing on OL prospects Glenn, Konz, Silatolu, etc. look much more sensible.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I hope so.
That would be a great story.

GO BOONE.
Just another piece of evidence that Baalke and Harbaugh REALLY like the guys already on our roster more than the mainstream media. Even if Boone isn't a natural tackle, the Niners coaching staff is confident they can coach him up so he will be by the start of next season. With 3 legit candidates on the roster, the one perceived hole in our starting five will be just fine by September.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Just another piece of evidence that Baalke and Harbaugh REALLY like the guys already on our roster more than the mainstream media. Even if Boone isn't a natural tackle, the Niners coaching staff is confident they can coach him up so he will be by the start of next season. With 3 legit candidates on the roster, the one perceived hole in our starting five will be just fine by September.

It's not possible for us to be as bad as when Rachal was in there. So I'm not worried.
Originally posted by mike:
It's not possible for us to be as bad as when Rachal was in there. So I'm not worried.

that's the truth
Where is Slowey on this list?
With his height, he's naturally better at pass protecting, but his height is a determent on rushing plays. The RG battle will definitely be interesting. Harbaugh may consider Boone above Kilgore, Looney, or Slowly. Best 5 start.

This is a much better situation with our O-line as opposed to last year. Iupati and Davis both had improvement (particularly late in the season). Staley was very good. Goodwin was a good FA pickup. And ... crap at RG (with periodic good plays from Rachal or Snyder, but generally bad play).

So all those guys are getting better, and I think Boone is already better than Snyder, because he legitimately plays tackle. Snyder was awful at tackle. So the O-line is better now as opposed to the beginning of last season. This whole offseason is icing on the cake!

Boone has definitely carved a niche on this team!
at the end of the day, Kilgore will win the job.
I will be rooting for Boone to win the starting job.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Maybe a good idea to see what Boone can offer at RG position at this point, but later in the off-season - I'd be more comfortable with Boone continue to improve as a tackle and come in if there is an injury at either LT or RT.

We need to develop the guards we have. Give them as many reps as possible in July.

They will get the best guys on the field.

Boone will push hard to play and he makes himself more versatile by playing guard.

Kilgore is probably better built to play at Guard.....and I'm sure they have him learning Center too.

Person is a wild card, but the niners like him. The 49ers liked him at tackle but he's learning guard too.

Dying to see Looney and Slowey get into the mix as well. Slowey shouldn't be taken lightly, from his tape he's a true beast.
it is going to be one hell of a battle! Boone, Kilgore, Pearson, and Looney are all going to push each other til one out plays the other....i wonder who it might be. Im going with Kilgore
I would rather see Davis transition inside. He'd have less space to man and would be surrounded. Plus his strength and mauling ability would be better suited when they want to pull both Iupati and him, can you imagine that freight train coming at the opposition? It'll be harder for D's to move the middle with Davis there. Boones height size is better suited for tackle and he may be better suited against the speed rushers than Davis. Plus Alex or whoever, won't have as hard a time regarding throwing lane on the right side. With Boone, it makes it that much more difficult.

At 6' 8", and such a big target, I am surprised the niners didn't try to target him in the red zone in those heavy packages-unless his hands are bad. I mean Sopoaga, people don't realize as a rugby player you gotta have some hands. If played basketball, he should be okay I would think-hehe.
He's better as a swing tackle backup. Injuries happen every year. So he needs to be ready. We have no tackle backup if he gets hurt at Guard. Do you want that? That's worse.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's better as a swing tackle backup. Injuries happen every year. So he needs to be ready. We have no tackle backup if he gets hurt at Guard. Do you want that? That's worse.

if a Tackle gets injrured he will switch out to T and we will have kilgore looney or whoever come in at G
Share 49ersWebzone