There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Crabtree has a breakout year this year.

The problem is it won't be earth shattering because that football is going to be tossed around more than last year to the full compliment of receivers/backs.
Idaho brings up a good point and one I have thot of also. But I don't really believe ANY of us want craps to fail. In fact it is just the opposite. There is a lot of bad sentiment re: #15 because he WAS so great in college, that we all expected more...way more. When that didn't happen, he drew a bunch of detractors, of which i am one. But that doesn't mean that I don't want him to succeed. I do in the worst kind of way, because we need that WR to be there on 3rd and 4 or in the RZ. I think we, collectively, are frustrated by crabs non- production, esp. in big games(post season). It is just possible that altho he was a star in college, the speed and ability of pro D players is just light years better than in college. Maybe he is one of those guys who could be a great college player and only a so-so NFL player.

I agree w/ the sentiment that Mario and Moss may very well make him a better player. But attitude, learning routes, using fakes, getting more practice with alex ...all those are things crbtre can do to improve his game. I think we all are disappointed that he hasn't done those in the past and is living on his collegiate laurels. If he doesn't kick it up a notch or more, I would agree with poster who said he may be traded, based on whoever else we bring on board.

Other thing is that he is not a Harbaugh/Baalke pick. Trent was here, but I think this was a coaching pick. Doesn't really matter, but in view of this, without significant improvement, craps may not get to wait until his contract runs out to sign with Dallas. He may get cut if he ends up our #4 or #5 WR. Let there be no doubt. Coach H will have WR picks available at every level of draft, rds 1thru 7. Also, i believe he will have a dozen, maybe 2 dozen UDFA WRs in camp that he has had his eye on. He is only 1 yr removed from college so has a better handle on WR than most other coaches. If 2 or 3 of these WRs catch on and beat crbtre out, he may get his opportunity to sign with dallas sooner than he thot. That said I am hoping for him to have a breakout season, and to (hopefully) start putting in more time with alex before and after practice. Otherwise our first pick in rd one (#10) 3 yrs ago will be a bust, and no one wants that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
There is such a thing as something other than a crabtree "hater" or "lover". I just happen to be on the fence cuz I have been upset with his injuries, which does happen, and what it looks like is a lack of team comittment.Now maybe it is just perception but i think there are many of us who hope he does well cuz that would be best for the team. However we also think the coaches are keeping as close eye on crabtree and if he shows any sign of slacking or not working hard, he will be traded and we will not roll out the shock and awe campaign, if that were to happen
Nice summary , CC.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nice summary , CC.
thank you doc. there is a third level in the twilight zone and there is a third level in the crabtree zone. I guess there is no third level in the alex smith zone
Originally posted by cciowa:
There is such a thing as something other than a crabtree "hater" or "lover". I just happen to be on the fence cuz I have been upset with his injuries, which does happen, and what it looks like is a lack of team comittment.Now maybe it is just perception but i think there are many of us who hope he does well cuz that would be best for the team. However we also think the coaches are keeping as close eye on crabtree and if he shows any sign of slacking or not working hard, he will be traded and we will not roll out the shock and awe campaign, if that were to happen

Agree, particularly with the bold. Those who have pronounced him a failure no doubt have high expectations that have not been met, but like any situation you have to evaluate in context. Just as Smith has had extenuating circumstances holding him back, Crabtree has had injuries and questionable coaching limiting his success. I give both players the benefit of the doubt until we see how they do under Harbaugh in their second season with this offense.

The difference between the two players is that Smith has said and done all the right things while Crabtree seldom is seen or heard doing and saying the right things...perception or reality? We should see this year.
How come Alex is the only player given coaching excuses?

Why does everyone forget that Crabtree up until last season was being coached up by the s**tty Jerry Sullivan?

Double standards I guess
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Why does everyone forget that Crabtree up until last season was being coached up by the s**tty Jerry Sullivan?

Double standards I guess

more cause he doesnt even attend OTA and TC

hes attended 2 OTA and 0 preseason and 0 TC in his career

he is copmletely slowing the passing offense down because hes learning the new system during the season therefore he doesnt get that excuse

Double standards I guess

Alex works his ass off
Originally posted by jreff22:

Double standards I guess

Alex works his ass off

It really is comical that people try to compare the QB position to the WR position. Regardless of players names, they are not even close to comparable in terms of learning curve. If Crabtree had half the work ethic and dedication that Smith has he would not be criticized like he is. People can handle the fact that he will never be the same WR he was in College, what they cant handle is the holdout, missed offseasons, and questionable dedication and work habits. Maybe he will find a pair of shoes that fits this offseason, but im not gonna hold my breath.
And there it is. One guy tries his heart out, the other guy....well he doesn't. Nobody here can fault a guy for not getting it done if he tries his hardest. Alex looked pretty woeful under previous coaches...but he always tried. Sadly crbtre hasn't .It sure would be nice if he made it to camp, showed a newfound work ethic, and then let's see how he does. Nobody would fault him or complain if he just didn't have "IT". With crabs, we still don't know, and I agree fully that a lot of the ill will is generated by crbtre himself, based almost completely on his lack of trying. This thread is replete with complaints, but virtually all are from a perceived lack of effort or desire on crbtres part. This would be a great yr for that to show up. I've looked at a few Tech games and can't really tell whether he had "IT" back then. He was playing against guys who were about half as talented as he was, so discerning his effort really was impossible. The results were awesome. Maybe it IS just too hard for him here. Sure would be easy to prove us wrong,tho, and I would love to be proven wrong.
he played in a very different offense. looks like college was a spread and the defense had to worry about every wr and it looks like they ran a lot of screens for him. the niners dont run many screens for him and he probably had a better qb throwing to him than smith.
how long did it take for vernon davis to become dominant
Man, the more I think about it ,the more I want crbtre to break out this yr. If that were to happen, we could go from basically a couple of #2s at seasons end to a team flush with WRs. Whew, wouldn't that be something?
Originally posted by Joecool:
If Crabtree had half the QB Rice had, he would have 1200 in 2011.

I place more blame on Crabtree for his lack of production than on Smith, especially when you see other WRs like AJ Green explode with lesser QB play. Add the fact that Vernon Davis is playing just fine and you really have to reevaluate how much you want to keep blaming Smith for everything.