LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Was looking through youtube to see Crabtree's college highlights and I can't believe that he was this dominant at TT. I think he has shown flashes in the pros and is still a young player. How come so many fans have given up on this guy, yet other players are given way more than 3 years to prove themselves ( Alex ). Crabtree has also been victim to the s**tty offensive systems under Raye and also has been dealing with injuries throughout his career. He was gradually improving throughout the regular season and I believe that he has what it takes to take it to the next level.

Notice how he looks A LOT faster back then??
He's battled foot injuries since he's been here. Also, not sure if he's able to workout like he'd like with that condition.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Was looking through youtube to see Crabtree's college highlights and I can't believe that he was this dominant at TT. I think he has shown flashes in the pros and is still a young player. How come so many fans have given up on this guy, yet other players are given way more than 3 years to prove themselves ( Alex ). Crabtree has also been victim to the s**tty offensive systems under Raye and also has been dealing with injuries throughout his career. He was gradually improving throughout the regular season and I believe that he has what it takes to take it to the next level.

Notice how he looks A LOT faster back then??

He isn't very fast. Remeber, compared to the NFL, many of those defenders are pretty slow.

Given a full offseason in this system, and OTAs + Training Camp, I think we will see even more improvement for both Alex and Crabtree. If they can develop some chemistry together and get it clicking on the field. Watch out!
As soon as he gets his ass to off-season programs remember he too has had to learn a new system every year and because he never attends off-season programs he's learning during games
Fun fact last 7 games he had some 520 yards. Or so average that to 16 game season that would be 1232 yards
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Nope

He is a lazy player with poor work ethics and also very slow to be a premier WR.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope

He is a lazy player with poor work ethics and also very slow to be a premier WR.

i tend to agree with you,. i am still holding out hope but he bettter show something this off season. i am also expecting this to turn out to be a alex bashing thread somehow
He's definitely the best receiver we have had in a long time. Im pretty sure all of the hate he receives is still because of his original hold out.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope

i tend to agree with you,. i am still holding out hope but he bettter show something this off season. i am also expecting this to turn out to be a alex bashing thread somehow

I hope he improves but I dont really see it happening. Of course having a better QB always helps but this thread is not about that.
This is gonna be a big year for Crabtree. I dreamed it in my head...

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
He's definitely the best receiver we have had in a long time. Im pretty sure all of the hate he receives is still because of his original hold out.

and because of what nearly every 9er fan holds him up to in terms of standards and previous players, combine that with that hold out and the idea that the "best receiver fell into our lap" really raised everyones hope and hype.

First, he had his best season last year and has noticeably improved his blocking skills. As Alex improved so did Crabs.

Next, he is slow and appears to be lazy. He did not get any seperation in the Giants playoff game and wasn't double teamed. Not impressive for a #10 pick.

Third, I really want him to succeed BUT he hasn't shown ANYTHING to prove he is a #1 WR. Just because he's the best receiver we have doesn't mean he's a #1 WR level. Just cause a guy can swim doesn't mean he's a good swimmer.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong - I really hope he becomes the player we all thought he could be.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:

i think alot of it has to do with what many percieve to be a poor work ethic, seems not to work hard in the off season and drops balls when they hit him in the chest.i really have forgotten about the hold out cuz that is just football, It has been what he has done or not done since then that bothers me
NFL.com posted an article today that stated that the 2009 Draft might be the worst overall draft in NFL history. It has produced few Pro Bowlers. The author also believes that Crabtree is no more than a number 3 receiver. It's a great article but I'm not sure how to post the link. I think he's a number two WR, personally.
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Apr 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
NFL.com posted an article today that stated that the 2009 Draft might be the worst overall draft in NFL history. It
has produced few Pro Bowlers. The author also believes that Crabtree is no more than a number 3 receiver. It's a great article but I'm not sure how to post the link. I think he's a number two WR personally.

i agree. he is a two, not a one and jesus christ could be throwing him the ball but he is not destined to be a number one wide out. If he is on the team this year i believe he will get outplayed by our two free agents we signed and i believe he will get outplayed by a rookie that we will draft. If that happens he will not be on the team in the future
That vid shows he gets good uncontested release off the line. Makes me wonder if he has trouble with press coverage. Slow getting off the line. Consequently, timing is all messed up. QB only has 3 seconds or so in the pocket to get him the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone