There are 265 users in the forums

Our WR contracts...little alarming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Tedd Ginn-2012 last year under contract
  • Randy Moss-2012 last year under contract
  • Kyle Williams-2013 last year under contract
  • Mario Manningham-2013 last year under contract
  • Michael Crabtree-2014 last year under contract

Is it me or does the thought of potentially losing 4 guys by 2013 seem a bit alarming? Dipping into FA every year for 2-3 WR's doesn't seem like a viable option for building a solid group of guys. Granted we can extend players but these 1-2 year deals do concern me a bit.
Which is why we'll still be drafting a WR in the draft.
if they show theyre worth it they will be resigned midseason, if not they can go and can be replaced.

I no longer doubt harbaugh or the front office
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Which is why we'll still be drafting a WR in the draft.

I really hope so but at this rate we will be drafting at least 1 guy a year.
Nope. Why commit to Randy for longer than you have to. Ginn is trying to prove something. We offered him two years. He must think he'll have a breakout season. Do you honestly want us to extend Williams right now? We have Crabtree locked up for three seasons and Manningham for two. We are likely to draft a rookie who will have several years. Moss also came for an Audition. This is what it is. If these guys pan out then great. But really this is a safe bet. The more worriesome move would be to have commited tons of money and years to moss and Ginn.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Nope. Why commit to Randy for longer than you have to. Ginn is trying to prove something. We offered him two years. He must think he'll have a breakout season. Do you honestly want us to extend Williams right now? We have Crabtree locked up for three seasons and Manningham for two. We are likely to draft a rookie who will have several years. Moss also came for an Audition. This is what it is. If these guys pan out then great. But really this is a safe bet. The more worriesome move would be to have commited tons of money and years to moss and Ginn.

I agree but to me it makes more sense to find a guy who can help and sign him to a decent deal. 1 year fliers doesn't bolster a roster.
There is this little thing called the NFL Draft!
The only problem I have with that list is the fact that Kyle Williams is still on the roster.
Originally posted by Ramp19smoker:
There is this little thing called the NFL Draft!

we aren't going to carry more then 6 WR's genius and drafting 3 WR's in 2 years is wasteful
Originally posted by jreff22:

Is it me or does the thought of potentially losing 4 guys by 2013 seem a bit alarming? Dipping into FA every year for 2-3 WR's doesn't seem like a viable option for building a solid group of guys. Granted we can extend players but these 1-2 year deals do concern me a bit.

Pay to perform. None have earned it yet. Why give 7 yr contracts to unworthy candidates(exc. Moss who is obviously old for a big contract)

It is quite the suprise.....especially for a pass happy team like the Niners.

If I was an FA wr, I'd be looking to end my career here.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM ]

While working around the salary cap, you can never have good players throughout the entire roster signed to long-term contracts. It is impossible. It is amazing that we were able to obtain so much talent in the first place.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:

Pay to perform. None have earned it yet. Why give 7 yr contracts to unworthy candidates(exc. Moss who is obviously old for a big contract)

My point is why not bite the bullet and get a guy who is proven instead of carrying 3 unproven guys
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:

this, its quite simple you perform you get paid. you dont perform we let you walk
we aren't going to carry more then 6 WR's genius and drafting 3 WR's in 2 years is wasteful

players get cut
Share 49ersWebzone