LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Our WR contracts...little alarming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is so stupid. The team had only Crabs and KW under contract at the end of last season and look how that worked out, perfectly fine. If anything you could argue that it gives the niners more flexibility.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
I agree but why load roster spots with temporary guys? Why not just draft players now who can grow with us?

I agree in some cases, it's better to generally build through the draft. But they're going to try to find steals where ever they can. Only so much big talent can be had in the draft.
Moss, like Edwards, is one of these project veterans that could end up being a success. If he isn't, it cost us nothing to try him out.

With Ginn, last year proved that young guys(KW) sometimes aren't as reliable in returning as a veteran would be. If you bring in a prospect who has return abilities, it does take time for them to be able to impact.

So it's also a matter of just trying to have continuity in all aspects of our game. You could say the same for bringing back Rogers, he's 31 and not getting any younger, why not just replace him in the draft(or roster- culliver) for cheap? Why sign Alex back if we might have something in Kaep? Because you want that continuity from last season.

No one ever wants to draft a prospect and throw him in important starting positions like returning punts without any kind of backup plan. We're now a team that wants to take that 13 win season and build off of it, we don't do that having a crappy return game(field position is Gold in this offense). We don't want to get rid of all of the above 1 year veterans and replace them with draft picks because like you said earlier- drafting a ton of receivers in the next few years doesn't make that much sense.

I'd say we have the flexibility that we can potentially cut moss and KW if we find better people in the draft. We might not have 6 WRs when the season starts but there's nothing wrong with having 3 or 4 more WRs going into camp.
You are worried about next year? how about this year? we really didnt do much in free agency to improve this position. Lost Morgan, picked up manningham, that seems like too much of an improvement to me. We picked up Moss, no one knows how thats going to work out. Just signed Ginn, he only had 200 yards last season...how about we worry about THIS YEAR
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
You are worried about next year? how about this year? we really didnt do much in free agency to improve this position. Lost Morgan, picked up manningham, that seems like too much of an improvement to me. We picked up Moss, no one knows how thats going to work out. Just signed Ginn, he only had 200 yards last season...how about we worry about THIS YEAR

Why I would of rather drafted 2 guys this year in a deep class. We got stop gaps that aren't in long term plans.

were probaly going to draft one or two
Contracts like that are for teams who do not have a clear #1; until you have a clear #1 there's no security (look at the Patriots during the early 00s, most of those guys had 2 year exit contracts).
  • Tedd Ginn-2012 last year under contract
  • Randy Moss-2012 last year under contract
  • Kyle Williams-2013 last year under contract
  • Mario Manningham-2013 last year under contract
  • Michael Crabtree-2014 last year under contract

Is it me or does the thought of potentially losing 4 guys by 2013 seem a bit alarming? Dipping into FA every year for 2-3 WR's doesn't seem like a viable option for building a solid group of guys. Granted we can extend players but these 1-2 year deals do concern me a bit.

This isn't alarming. None of them proved they deserve a long term deal. Why lock a guy in for 5 years when he could just be a burden for 3 of them.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Contracts like that are for teams who do not have a clear #1; until you have a clear #1 there's no security (look at the Patriots during the early 00s, most of those guys had 2 year exit contracts).

And it creates a revolving door at the position IMO. We are stuck in a precarious spot at RG right now. I don't want to have a key skill position to be a ? for another 2 years. In a deep draft like this year to me it would be better to use 2 picks and plug holes for at least the next few years. I like Ginn but he is a roster waste outside of ST duties. We let Costanzo go...I don't get why we just don't draft a guy who can do both WR and ST duties.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
  • Tedd Ginn-2012 last year under contract
  • Randy Moss-2012 last year under contract
  • Kyle Williams-2013 last year under contract
  • Mario Manningham-2013 last year under contract
  • Michael Crabtree-2014 last year under contract

Is it me or does the thought of potentially losing 4 guys by 2013 seem a bit alarming? Dipping into FA every year for 2-3 WR's doesn't seem like a viable option for building a solid group of guys. Granted we can extend players but these 1-2 year deals do concern me a bit.

This isn't alarming. None of them proved they deserve a long term deal. Why lock a guy in for 5 years when he could just be a burden for 3 of them.

Its not that they deserve it, its that we are filling a roster with guys who don't deserve it. No rookie will beat out Moss and I like the move but if by mid season he isn't interested we wasted a spot for him and its too late to refill it with quality.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:

so then tell the thread author not to worry about it
[ Edited by Daniel2778 on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM ]

I can't see us re-signing Crabtree next season unless he has a break out year.... Then again, that's gonna be pretty hard when all Alex does is throw balls at his feet and over his head
Originally posted by walker807:
This is so stupid. The team had only Crabs and KW under contract at the end of last season and look how that worked out, perfectly fine. If anything you could argue that it gives the niners more flexibility.

I agree. None of the guys on the list is a long term sure thing. And I'm even including Crabtree, though he's a high draft pick. The evaluation might change after next season but right now it's all good to have them short term deal. If anything this is an overreaction thread. None of them are proven enough to warrant a long term deal.
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:

so then tell the thread author not to worry about it

I don't see that being possible now. Unless Jim is looking to get rid of Kyle I cant see a low end rookie making it.
I've been thinking the exact samething. All my niner buddy's tell me I'm crazy for me wanting the 49ers to still draft Stephen Hill with the #30th pick. I see him as a potential superstar for years to come. By us drafting him is assembeling our pieces for a Dynasty to last!
My point is why not bite the bullet and get a guy who is proven instead of carrying 3 unproven guys

The bigger issue is why have we not been able to develop and then sign a LT WR. I can't think of a single team who has gone through more WR's than us over the years. And then the one we do draft in the 1st round retires and goes fishing instead. Even Morgan left us. The good news is that while we used to be a place any WR would love to come and play, we are no reliant upon them unless you are down to Crabtree, Swain and Hastings. That said, like we saw with the Pats last year, we are a 2 and even 3 TE-focused offense and the two WR's who will be on the field are less important; or moreover, will be used differently than what we typically think of as a classic WCO.

We don't have a WCO OL..or RB or WR's and we don't use just one pass-catching TE either.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone