There are 204 users in the forums

Baalke and Harbaugh proved they are great coach and GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Have a feeling Trent is not happy with Alex and will do whatever he can to end this in the future.

We got tweets that Alex was working on the deal and Trent leaves to go run 6 miles......? Maybe Jim wanted Alex and Trent didn't, Trent went after his guy and struck out. Doesn't Trent have control over the roster or does Jim?

Do we see Trent try to trade Alex if he has another good year and his value goes up?

LOL. How could Trent be unhappy with Alex? He is the best available QB to this team. And there will never be a trade market for Alex freaking Smith.

Trent has never been high on Alex, that has been proven.

Trent may not be high on Smith (I'm not either) but I'm sure he realizes he was the best QB option we have (just like I do).

no no no I get that, Im just saying will he look for the right time to capatilize in dropping him...say Alex has 2 years back to back that he "explodes" close to 4k 25+tds, low INT's etc etc....would he try to dump him and start his guy in Kap?
First, this is a business. Next, it's a sport. Third, family members and life long friends weren't involved.

Harbaugh and Baalke could have handled it better. This is regardless of whether Alex had any options or not. A lot of teams went after Manning, and it's understandable. Since it's so easy to explain, why not be open about it.
If Alex had another option elsewhere, the question is, would he have still signed with the 49ers. We'll never know for sure.
Is this the worst thing that any football organization has ever done, not even close.
Time to move on.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Alex had his chance to sign and didn't. You can't blame Harbaugh for trying to get Peyton common sense would tell you Peyton's best fit would be in SF and he probably should have singed with us. One Problem is everyone is talking about can he make the throws and barely touching on the bigger issue, can he take the hits. I have mixed feelings about Smith he is like a girl you like and starts to make the moves on you but then backs off (see saints compared to giants). I always wanted him to succeed and I think a 2nd year in the same system with proper wideouts he could be a more dynamic player and hopefully has better 3rd down and redzone production. I was excited when we drafted CK and backing up Manning would have been a good situation for him. If Peyton got hurt or broke down in 2years I think we would have been ok. Elway is in a worse situation because he doesn't have anyone behind Peyton and if Peyton goes down he will have nobody since most likely Tebow will be traded and Quinn and Orton are out. This could look real bad for Denver
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Have a feeling Trent is not happy with Alex and will do whatever he can to end this in the future.

We got tweets that Alex was working on the deal and Trent leaves to go run 6 miles......? Maybe Jim wanted Alex and Trent didn't, Trent went after his guy and struck out. Doesn't Trent have control over the roster or does Jim?

Do we see Trent try to trade Alex if he has another good year and his value goes up?

LOL. How could Trent be unhappy with Alex? He is the best available QB to this team. And there will never be a trade market for Alex freaking Smith.

Trent may not be high on Smith (I'm not either) but I'm sure he realizes he was the best QB option we have (just like I do).

no no no I get that, Im just saying will he look for the right time to capatilize in dropping him...say Alex has 2 years back to back that he "explodes" close to 4k 25+tds, low INT's etc etc....would he try to dump him and start his guy in Kap?

No one will ever trade for Alex, ever. Even if he throws for 4k twice. Other teams will think its because of Jim and the system or the WR's because he's never proved he could do it before without optimal conditions.
In defense of the management. They played this pretty well. They investigated the possibility of signing a hall of fame calibur player and in reality it cost them nothing. They still have the guy they said they wanted from the start. They have him for what they wanted to pay him. And they have him wanting to prove the world wrong about him again. Nobody really knows the details of what went down. For all we know this was all about helping Tom Condon leverage money for manning. Or for all we know we just wouldn't give manning his money. Or for all we know Manning invited the niners out, they took a look, and said thanks. Who is to say. All alex has to do is play this thing out and this will be a blip. My money says we have a better season than denver. I'm also willing to bet that Baalke had the common sense to let Harbaugh be relatively blameless in this and subsume the full blame of the "its just business line" because you know Harbaugh can't say that.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Please believe Kaepernick will get plenty of reps this season. If he shows any promise, Smith will be gone in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by KID9R:

No one will ever trade for Alex, ever. Even if he throws for 4k twice. Other teams will think its because of Jim and the system or the WR's because he's never proved he could do it before without optimal conditions.

pfff, cleveland would. Same system. People are going to be stunned with how alex looks this year. Finally got some weapons not named BRETT SWAIN, and a complete year in the system.....this could be big. especially if they grab someone like FLEENER in the draft.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Please believe Kaepernick will get plenty of reps this season. If he shows any promise, Smith will be gone in a heartbeat.

please believe, if kaep has to get plenty of reps, its gonna be a long season.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Haters' only hope. The next 3 years.

Smith has shown he improved last year, so why not let him have a chance to redeem himself for the last 5-6 bad years.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM ]

wait what happened? trent went on a 6 mile run?

so having a good HC and good WR's is the optimal condition....isnt that what every good QB has?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by igot49reasons:

pfff, cleveland would. Same system. People are going to be stunned with how alex looks this year. Finally got some weapons not named BRETT SWAIN, and a complete year in the system.....this could be big. especially if they grab someone like FLEENER in the draft.

Cleveland could have signed him. But we''re talking a couple years from now, after the 4K seasons lol. The Brown staff could all be gone by then if they don't get a QB soon.

so having a good HC and good WR's is the optimal condition....isnt that what every good QB has?

nope, aaron rodgers wins with STIFFS. and a dope of a qb. brees has ZERO WEAPONS. he CARRIES THEM.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
This is not a true statement at all. This has been their MO since their arrival. They have done this with every single free agent they've had. They offer a contract before they get to free agency. If the player wants it, he takes it (Ahmad Brooks). If he doesn't want it, he tests the waters and the 49ers get moving on to a Plan B. It's happened at all positions on the roster. If Alex was bothered by this, he shouldn't have been surprised (Goldson 2011, Clements 2011, Rogers this year, Ginn this year, Morgan this year, Costanzo this year). They have their core and they will not overspend or coddle. It works for every other marquee franchise.

Purely speculation, but I would not be surprised if it comes out that Alex was made fully aware that they were going to talk to other FA QBs. Even Condon knows that a team is not going to sit around and wait for a slightly above average player. The FO did their jobs, doing everything in their power to try and improve the team.

+1

The 9er's gave what they felt was a reasonable offer to AS. He didn't take it. What were they supposed to do? Gamble on somebody else giving him a silly contract?

Each side was playing fairly close to the vest and seeing who blinked first.

The 9er's won because they had a stonger position - they are a playoff team even with a "game manager" at QB.

No team wants to risk a big contract on a "game manager" - that's not going to elevate a so-so team into the playoffs.

That's reality. The NFL is a business.
Originally posted by igot49reasons:

Cleveland could have signed him. But we''re talking a couple years from now, after the 4K seasons lol. The Brown staff could all be gone by then if they don't get a QB soon.

dont know if you noticed. NO ONE IS SIGNING WITH CLEVELAND. their best player other than joe thomas, left, and signed with KC who had JAMAL CHARLES already. Cleveland is in bad shape. Holmgren has run them straight into the ground.
Share 49ersWebzone