There are 209 users in the forums

Baalke and Harbaugh proved they are great coach and GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Have a feeling Trent is not happy with Alex and will do whatever he can to end this in the future.

We got tweets that Alex was working on the deal and Trent leaves to go run 6 miles......? Maybe Jim wanted Alex and Trent didn't, Trent went after his guy and struck out. Doesn't Trent have control over the roster or does Jim?

Do we see Trent try to trade Alex if he has another good year and his value goes up?

wait what happened? trent went on a 6 mile run?

Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch
#49ers GM Trent Baalke returned from run. He declined to comment on report of a deal with Alex Smith.

Mindi Bach ‏ @MBachCSN
Trent Baalke returns from his run & won't talk about talks w/ any free agents. He did say he went 6 miles though #49ers

Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows
Our long, regional nightmare is over RT @nfl: 49ers and Alex Smith agree to terms on a new contract, @NFLNetwork's @michaelombardi reports.

Mindi Bach ‏ @MBachCSN
When asked if report #49ers are close to agreeing w/A Smith true, replied:"I didn't hear that." didn't clarify

Matt Maiocco ‏ @MaioccoCSN
GM Trent Baalke heads out on a run. He didn't confirm nor deny 49ers and Alex Smith are close to a deal.

49ers negotiator Paraag Marathe still in his office. RT @espn ESPN NFL Sources: 49ers, Alex Smith near deal http://es.pn/GBDgvx

Cam Inman ‏ @CamInman @espn
ESPN NFL Sources: 49ers, Alex Smith near deal http://es.pn/GBDgvx > NFL world awaits
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by igot49reasons:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
No, there good QB's stuck with bad coach's
Caldwell, Raheem Morris were a couple of bad coaches with good QB's. And I don't believe I said just "good" anywhere.

? who

peyton ran teh same system for 14 years so he ran offense cldwell had 0 impact
and josh freeman was a good qb?

Freeman's 2nd year as a starter was better then Alex's best year. Sooo is Alex good?

and here we go. *facepalm*

oh, sorry first year as the starter, his second year.
[ Edited by KID9R on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM ]
Originally posted by igot49reasons:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
No, there good QB's stuck with bad coach's
Caldwell, Raheem Morris were a couple of bad coaches with good QB's. And I don't believe I said just "good" anywhere.

? who

peyton ran teh same system for 14 years so he ran offense cldwell had 0 impact
and josh freeman was a good qb?

Freeman's 2nd year as a starter was better then Alex's best year. Sooo is Alex good?

and here we go. *facepalm*

oh, sorry first year as the starter, his second year.

im not trying to be disrespectful here, but i believe that anyone who tries to compare alex to any other qb, is just fighting a worthless battle. No qb has ever been through what alex has been through. my niner friends, i try to tell them, just forget the first six years. This organization was so crappy, the talent, the front office, the coaches. Just HORRID. coaches publicly throwing players under the bus, some dropping their pants. ugh, some coach that will remain nameless actually making jt osuckivan the starter. its like a horror story id love to forget.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I agree with MadDog. The handling of this matter was awkward and avoidable - even amaturish. After all, Baalke is really new at this GM thing and has a great deal to learn. Unfortunately, he won the "NFL Executive of the Year Award" and probably thinks he knows it all already. Things went very swimmingly last year - almost too good. Frankly, things kind of broke our way a bit last year.

How to better handle this? They should have been straight up and open with Alex when they decided to make a try at Manning, and given him a chance to explore his options earlier when they were exploring theirs. When Manning spurned the 49ers, they should have increased their offer to Alex in light of a number of things, one of which was to send a signal to the rest of the team that Alex is truely valued. This way the team will be more inclined to be enthused about the coming year. Instead, they have effectively told the world that they do not think that Alex is very good, and we will see if that has any adverse effect down the road.

There is no doubt that Harbaugh and Baalke are a vast improvement over the previous cast of bumblers, but they are not perfect and each has a little bit to learn yet. Remember, one can argue that Harbaugh lost the NFCC game when he/STs coach failed to instruct Kyle to be more protective of the ball, especially after watching him be reckless twice before the third one put a stake through our heart. The NYG organization was smart enough to order their KR/PR to go down as soon as they fielded the wet ball. Yes, I said it - I think Harbaugh was outcoached that game.

This post was based soley on HIGHLY circumstantial evidence. The whole premise is based on self-fabricated assumption of how things were handled. Where is the adverse talk about Hasselbeck.

What about this putting a real chip on Alex's shoulder? This situations has just as much if not more of a chance of positively influencing Smith. Maybe he wont put up and start telling people to shut up.

This was handled about as good as it gets. Even with all the swirling assumptions between Alex (Who also was unsigned unlike the other teams) and the FO, the FO held its ground didn't make any statements that would lead to blown up situations and signed Alex after Peyton moved on. If Alex is adversly effected by this, he should not be an NFL QB making 24mil dollars. I am a fan of Alex by the way.

If it wasn't for MORT seeing the 49ers, we would have never known they worked out Manning and we'd all be complaining that they were NEGLIGENT in not doing so. like some had already done.

As to how it was personally handled between all parties, you have no idea and no logical stance to make an assumption on how they handled it and then blame them for those actions.
Nailed the draft, almost made superbowl, almost signed Peyton Manning, signed all defensive starters from last year, signed A.Smith, umm yah they are good.

Prolly deserve better from some of us as well.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM ]
Originally posted by midrdan:
This.

The bottom line is people want the 49ers to add talent in free agency and sign their own players and there are tons of threads and posts about how this signing or that effects the salary cap. The 49ers make an offer to Smith that NO TEAM IN THE NFL MATCHED and Smith doesn't sign. So the 49ers should offer him more than his fair market value as a "thank you" for last year? Did Smith give back the guaranteed money he made on his rookie deal that far exceeded his production?

I don't understand how somebody could accuse the FO of not having class because they took a look at other options. When they interviewed Eric Wright, that showed no class to Carlos Rogers? Smith could have ended this by signing before FA started. Thought he was worth more, found out he isn't, and signed. Class has nothing to do with it.

THIS^^^
third year in, alex restructured his deal, second, they owed him that money for how piss poor this organization was ran, that got us into the position to have to draft alex in the first place. then they played musical offenses for the next 5 YEARS. until jed said dad, get back in your luxury box and keep your arse there. ill take it from here and got this ship going in the right way.

man. how people can hold ANYTHING against ANY player from the past six years to this one, is a MYSTERY to me.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by midrdan:
This.

The bottom line is people want the 49ers to add talent in free agency and sign their own players and there are tons of threads and posts about how this signing or that effects the salary cap. The 49ers make an offer to Smith that NO TEAM IN THE NFL MATCHED and Smith doesn't sign. So the 49ers should offer him more than his fair market value as a "thank you" for last year? Did Smith give back the guaranteed money he made on his rookie deal that far exceeded his production?

I don't understand how somebody could accuse the FO of not having class because they took a look at other options. When they interviewed Eric Wright, that showed no class to Carlos Rogers? Smith could have ended this by signing before FA started. Thought he was worth more, found out he isn't, and signed. Class has nothing to do with it.

THIS^^^

he restructured his deal to take less actually
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Have a feeling Trent is not happy with Alex and will do whatever he can to end this in the future.

We got tweets that Alex was working on the deal and Trent leaves to go run 6 miles......? Maybe Jim wanted Alex and Trent didn't, Trent went after his guy and struck out. Doesn't Trent have control over the roster or does Jim?

Do we see Trent try to trade Alex if he has another good year and his value goes up?

wait what happened? trent went on a 6 mile run?

Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch
#49ers GM Trent Baalke returned from run. He declined to comment on report of a deal with Alex Smith.

Mindi Bach ‏ @MBachCSN
Trent Baalke returns from his run & won't talk about talks w/ any free agents. He did say he went 6 miles though #49ers

Our long, regional nightmare is over RT @nfl: 49ers and Alex Smith agree to terms on a new contract, @NFLNetwork's @michaelombardi reports.

Mindi Bach ‏ @MBachCSN
When asked if report #49ers are close to agreeing w/A Smith true, replied:"I didn't hear that." didn't clarify

Matt Maiocco ‏ @MaioccoCSN
GM Trent Baalke heads out on a run. He didn't confirm nor deny 49ers and Alex Smith are close to a deal.

49ers negotiator Paraag Marathe still in his office. RT @espn ESPN NFL Sources: 49ers, Alex Smith near deal http://es.pn/GBDgvx

Cam Inman ‏ @CamInman @espn
ESPN NFL Sources: 49ers, Alex Smith near deal http://es.pn/GBDgvx > NFL world awaits

maybe Trent just doesn't want to be fat. not sure his going for a run has anything to do with what he thinks about Alex Smith.
They were doing there jobs. If alex looked like he did in.the past every one would be wanting manning and hating alex. All the know it alls and gurus were bashing him a year ago and are now feeling sorry for him. we looked at manning because alex didnt want his piddly 3year 25 mill deal. the one he just.signed btw. So who wasnt classy? Us for looking at another player after being stood up at the contract table or alex getting a good deal and play the wait and see game to drive.up his valued price? Hmmmm tough one..... We did nothimg bad. Just good business.
Boo Hoo

Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by guillotine31:
This is not a true statement at all. This has been their MO since their arrival. They have done this with every single free agent they've had. They offer a contract before they get to free agency. If the player wants it, he takes it (Ahmad Brooks). If he doesn't want it, he tests the waters and the 49ers get moving on to a Plan B. It's happened at all positions on the roster. If Alex was bothered by this, he shouldn't have been surprised (Goldson 2011, Clements 2011, Rogers this year, Ginn this year, Morgan this year, Costanzo this year). They have their core and they will not overspend or coddle. It works for every other marquee franchise.

Purely speculation, but I would not be surprised if it comes out that Alex was made fully aware that they were going to talk to other FA QBs. Even Condon knows that a team is not going to sit around and wait for a slightly above average player. The FO did their jobs, doing everything in their power to try and improve the team.

+1

The 9er's gave what they felt was a reasonable offer to AS. He didn't take it. What were they supposed to do? Gamble on somebody else giving him a silly contract?

Each side was playing fairly close to the vest and seeing who blinked first.

The 9er's won because they had a stonger position - they are a playoff team even with a "game manager" at QB.

No team wants to risk a big contract on a "game manager" - that's not going to elevate a so-so team into the playoffs.

That's reality. The NFL is a business.

Me like these 2 post...totally agree....
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Nailed the draft, almost made superbowl, almost signed Peyton Manning, signed all defensive starters from last year, signed A.Smith, umm yah they are good.

Prolly deserve better from some of us as well.

+1
Originally posted by 9erReign:

LOL. How could Trent be unhappy with Alex? He is the best available QB to this team. And there will never be a trade market for Alex freaking Smith.

Trent has never been high on Alex, that has been proven.

Not his pick! Kaps is Trents pick. Very easy for all to see.
Originally posted by susweel:
Maddog should be our GM.

And we'd still be looking for a pass rusher. Easy to denigrate sitting from the arm chair. He said he would have traded the pick, yet Baalke did try but no takers. He is just sore that they don't do what he wants.

I am amazed that people are getting mad at the F.O., like any position you try to upgrade if you can, an opp came with possibly getting Manning. Alex has no one to blame but himself, if he'd sign then no problem, he is going to essentially sign for the same thing they offered with some tweeks. That includes QB. It happens all over the league. Its business. The niners are trying to put the best product on the field for the fans.

What?! Are we supposed to limbo in mediocrity just so we can be loyal? When players give back money for bad seasons then I say pay them the market value. After all, where is the loyalty there. Loyalty is a two way street.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
They proved that they have no class. This was handled horribly

As always....
Share 49ersWebzone