Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
They proved that they have no class. This was handled horribly

Pointing your finger at others anonymously on the internet claiming they have no class is also a sign of no class.

give him a break..he's just upset that we took aldon smith over jj watt

Yea, he's still pissed we dumped Arnaz Battle, Eric Heitman, Derek Smith

As well as taking Patrick Willis over Adam Carriker.

dang so much comedy in these posts lmao

That's your opinion.

I think they handled it amazingly well, if not perfectly. Had a chance to get Manning...WENT AFTER IT.

AS is back...and I'm glad...best option for us besides Manning. I could care less if his feelings are hurt. He's a professional athlete that gets paid millions. It's not about feelings or loyalty in the NFL. It's about production and wins.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

That's your opinion.

I think they handled it amazingly well, if not perfectly. Had a chance to get Manning...WENT AFTER IT.

AS is back...and I'm glad...best option for us besides Manning. I could care less if his feelings are hurt. He's a professional athlete that gets paid millions. It's not about feelings or loyalty in the NFL. It's about production and wins.

Baalke handled this situation perfect. Peyton Manning's the one who f**ked up.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

If they wanted Manning how should they have handled it? If think they did a job keeping this out of the media for as long as they did.
Remove emotion and Alex made the right decision for everyone. Winning will give everyone a short memory and all of this will be forgotten soon. At the end of the day Alex Smith gets to play a sport his loves and make more money then most of us will ever see in our lifetime!!
They did everything spot on! Offerred Alex fair contract. When he got cute & did not sign they explored options! Tried 2 land the BIG FISH! When that failed they found their fair offer was good enough!! Peyton got kicked 2 the curb by the Colts! That's show biz...

Yeah right, it was handled perfectly.

Alex had no other options, niners knew that. When Alex tried to play hardball we took a good look at Peyton like we should have. When that fell through we knew Alex would always be around. There were no other places for Alex. SF was his best and only option.

Nothing they should have done differently.
Actually they proved just how lucky they are. It was obvious that other teams were beating down his door for his amazing talents. We signed him just in the nick of time.
no class my ass, so every gm that tried to go after 1 of the greatest qbs of all time have no class. its a business and every position is open to get upgraded and manning was an upgrade over smith and im not an alex hater 1 bit. not upset at all that our front office and hc tried to improve the qb position, its not like they went behind alex's back to talk to chad henne. alex got paid regardless and now its time to let it go and get better and ready to lead this offense to the same heights as our defense
Gentlemen,

If I may present an alternative paradigm. BTW, Long time listener, first time caller. ------ If we may all remember the offer that Alex apparently agreed to in the last 2 hours has been on the table for nearly a month. I believe Mr. Condon et al drank every last drop of the "Alex Smith is King of the World" Cool-Aid/Vitriol that was spewing in the latter half of last season and this off season. Said Cool-Aid/Vitriol, while very tasty, was the product of a table of one. The lone individual at this table was none other than Jim Harbaugh himself, fully loaded with microphone in hand. Harbaugh has told anyone who would listen what his opinion of Alex is. Actions, however, speak louder than words. When the Condon/Smith factory decided it was not in their best interest to sign the 3 yr/24 million purported offer in front of them, they invited Mssrs Harbaugh and Balke to test a little theory called supply and demand. The supply of starting caliber quarterbacks was bolstered by Peyton Manning. The demand of starting caliber quarterbacks has been dwindling by the day. The 49ers supplied Alex with what they thought was a fair offer. Regrettably, the Condon/Smith camp disagreed. The lack of Smith to agree to the contract offered a month ago is what set this chain of events into motion. The 49ers did nothing different than Alex. While Condon/Smith rested on their laurels and pursued a better deal, so did the 49ers. Alex Smith wanted 5 years. He was offered 3. This was not enough. The 49ers then pursued Manning. Their offer was not enough. This brings us back to square one. The supply and demand curve for the services for Alex Smith yields the fact that the original offer that the 49ers gave to Smith/Condon (the exact same offer he is now signing) is not in equilibrium with the supply and demand curve. Alex is being overpaid for what the market will bear. The 49ers are overpaying him as a sign of good faith. I think Mad Dog is brilliant with his draftniks, however, I do disagree with him here. Tom Condon threw his chest out and Trent Baalke poked him in it to remind him who is in charge of this team. Brilliant move by the 49ers front office. The idea that this was handled without class could be a valid point, but only when considered with the fact that Tom Condon and Alex Smith tried to strong arm the 49ers into a 5 year deal when the market only will bear a 2-3 year deal at 5-8 million a year. The 49ers were backed into a corner and tried to cut a better deal for themselves. Baalke evidently has a plan for Kaepernick and it is a 1-3 year plan. He will not be deterred. Not by Tom Condon, and not by Alex Smith. Bravo. All is well in Ninerland

Originally posted by RayshawnJackson:
Actually they proved just how lucky they are. It was obvious that other teams were beating down his door for his amazing talents. We signed him just in the nick of time.

damn it its you with your nonsense again harbaugh and baalke did their homework and looked at every teams situation at qb and realized there wasnt gonna be a big market for smith
Originally posted by welvisdogger:
Gentlemen,

If I may present an alternative paradigm. BTW, Long time listener, first time caller. ------ If we may all remember the offer that Alex apparently agreed to in the last 2 hours has been on the table for nearly a month. I believe Mr. Condon et al drank every last drop of the "Alex Smith is King of the World" Cool-Aid/Vitriol that was spewing in the latter half of last season and this off season. Said Cool-Aid/Vitriol, while very tasty, was the product of a table of one. The lone individual at this table was none other than Jim Harbaugh himself, fully loaded with microphone in hand. Harbaugh has told anyone who would listen what his opinion of Alex is. Actions, however, speak louder than words. When the Condon/Smith factory decided it was not in their best interest to sign the 3 yr/24 million purported offer in front of them, they invited Mssrs Harbaugh and Balke to test a little theory called supply and demand. The supply of starting caliber quarterbacks was bolstered by Peyton Manning. The demand of starting caliber quarterbacks has been dwindling by the day. The 49ers supplied Alex with what they thought was a fair offer. Regrettably, the Condon/Smith camp disagreed. The lack of Smith to agree to the contract offered a month ago is what set this chain of events into motion. The 49ers did nothing different than Alex. While Condon/Smith rested on their laurels and pursued a better deal, so did the 49ers. Alex Smith wanted 5 years. He was offered 3. This was not enough. The 49ers then pursued Manning. Their offer was not enough. This brings us back to square one. The supply and demand curve for the services for Alex Smith yields the fact that the original offer that the 49ers gave to Smith/Condon (the exact same offer he is now signing) is not in equilibrium with the supply and demand curve. Alex is being overpaid for what the market will bear. The 49ers are overpaying him as a sign of good faith. I think Mad Dog is brilliant with his draftniks, however, I do disagree with him here. Tom Condon threw his chest out and Trent Baalke poked him in it to remind him who is in charge of this team. Brilliant move by the 49ers front office. The idea that this was handled without class could be a valid point, but only when considered with the fact that Tom Condon and Alex Smith tried to strong arm the 49ers into a 5 year deal when the market only will bear a 2-3 year deal at 5-8 million a year. The 49ers were backed into a corner and tried to cut a better deal for themselves. Baalke evidently has a plan for Kaepernick and it is a 1-3 year plan. He will not be deterred. Not by Tom Condon, and not by Alex Smith. Bravo. All is well in Ninerland

Just a tip: the "enter" button is your friend.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by RayshawnJackson:

damn it its you with your nonsense again harbaugh and baalke did their homework and looked at every teams situation at qb and realized there wasnt gonna be a big market for smith

Your sarcasm detector is broken.
Fred, trust me. When a super stud franchise QB like Smith is on the open market, a lot of teams are going to beat down his door. And they did. According to my sources, shortly after Alex signed the dotted line with us he had 5-6 offers from teams that need quarterbacks. Other teams around the league agreee with the smart 49er fans here on the WZ that this guy is a premium talent.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I agree with MadDog. The handling of this matter was awkward and avoidable - even amaturish. After all, Baalke is really new at this GM thing and has a great deal to learn. Unfortunately, he won the "NFL Executive of the Year Award" and probably thinks he knows it all already. Things went very swimmingly last year - almost too good. Frankly, things kind of broke our way a bit last year.

How to better handle this? They should have been straight up and open with Alex when they decided to make a try at Manning, and given him a chance to explore his options earlier when they were exploring theirs. When Manning spurned the 49ers, they should have increased their offer to Alex in light of a number of things, one of which was to send a signal to the rest of the team that Alex is truely valued. This way the team will be more inclined to be enthused about the coming year. Instead, they have effectively told the world that they do not think that Alex is very good, and we will see if that has any adverse effect down the road.

There is no doubt that Harbaugh and Baalke are a vast improvement over the previous cast of bumblers, but they are not perfect and each has a little bit to learn yet. Remember, one can argue that Harbaugh lost the NFCC game when he/STs coach failed to instruct Kyle to be more protective of the ball, especially after watching him be reckless twice before the third one put a stake through our heart. The NYG organization was smart enough to order their KR/PR to go down as soon as they fielded the wet ball. Yes, I said it - I think Harbaugh was outcoached that game.

That is pure speculation. You don't know if the 49ers gave Smith notice or not. You don't know if they ended up giving him more money or not. It's at least even odds that your wrong on both accounts.
Share 49ersWebzone