LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

if the 49ers offered Alex Smith 3 years at $24mil then I don't see a problem with the 49ers offering Manning $90mil at 5 years...
Originally posted by 49erJim:
if the 49ers offered Alex Smith 3 years at $24mil then I don't see a problem with the 49ers offering Manning $90mil at 5 years...

The problem isn't a Smith vs. Manning.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

That offer to Smith shows that the niners dont view him as a franchise QB or an elite player.
Originally posted by susweel:

That offer to Smith shows that the niners dont view him as a franchise QB or an elite player.
NFL Netwok says that Alex had zero offers, nothing even close to 3 years $24 mil and he would only get a 1 year deal for maybe much less from any other team.

NFL Netwok says that Alex had zero offers, nothing even close to 3 years $24 mil and he would only get a 1 year deal for maybe much less from any other team.

Jim was going to Miami
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Looks like Harbaugh is not to fond of baby sitting him as much as we thought he was.
  • Jiks
Just to make you more aware of Mannings injury. Posted this earlier, but feel it's worth a look. Keep this part in mind "Dr. Riaz is not treating the player in question."

Can you refresh our memories on Peyton Manning's injury? What's wrong with Peyton Manning's neck?

Manning has degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine. He has had three surgeries thus far in his career to control pain, weakness, and tingling in his arms. Two of these surgeries happened this year, with the first in the offseason and thesecond shortly after the start of the 2011 season. His last surgery was a single level anterior cervical fusion. This is where the surgeon joins together Manning's spinal bones to create stability.

Why did it take so long for the Colts to admit that Manning would not play this season? You said a long time ago that he would not return this year. Why were the Colts in denial?

The Colts understood that Manning had a negligible chance of returning this year, especially after last cervical surgery in September. But the Colts did not place him on Injured Reserve. If the Colts placed Manning on Injured Reserve, he would not be able to practice again this season. The Colts management wanted to note the progress of Manning in practice situations so that they could assess whether to keep him next year or not. Manning has a $28 million option for the 2012-13 season. The Colts wanted to see if Manning still had weakness in his throwing arm. If he did, they would be less willing to pay for the $28 million option for 2012-13.

How bad is Manning's injury?

It is a serious condition. As I have previously said, if Manning were to apply for permanent disability benefits from the State, he would likely get them. Three cervical spine surgeries for the same degenerative process are more than enough to qualify for disability.

Some people think that Manning's neck condition is genetic since Cooper Manning, Peyton's oldest brother, had a neck problem too. Is this true?

No, Peyton's condition is not genetic. It is not related to the condition that Cooper Manning has. Cooper has spinal stenosis. This is a narrowing of the spinal canal that he was essentially born with. Neither Peyton nor Eli have this condition. Peyton's condition is related to repetitive motions and trauma. Put another way, it's related to playing the violent sport of football.

Will Manning ever play again?

At this point, it's a 50/50 shot. Manning would like to play again. But the Colts seem to be finally conceding that it may not be prudent to pick up Manning's contract for next year. If the Colts elect to pick up Manning's option for next year, a four-year contract extension is triggered. It is very unlikely that Manning will ever play for the Colts under that four-year contract. The Colts would have to pick up the option on Manning's contract in March. It would be hard for the Colts to truly know Manning's status by then.
http://www.footballphds.com/2011/12/21/dr-riaz-discusses-whether-peyton-manning-will-ever-play-again/

Learn more here:
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/degenerative-disc-disease-topic-overview

also that him and tebow could possibly be vying for back up spots. Theres Alex's market lol. 24 mill looks pretty good right about now

Except crippling our cap space for the next couple years.
You really have to wonder whether the 49ers' management is not screwing up. Manning may very well go the Titans and Smith, Harbaugh's man, will have lost all faith and will not come back. The team will have plenty of cap room, but to sign which QB? I must say in addition that the whole process is not consistent with the values Harbaugh supposedly brought to the team last year. The "blue collar" approach is gone. By gambling on Manning, Harbaugh may very well lose the locker room as well. If Smith was not the right guy (and that is probably the case) why didn't Harbaugh make a fresh start last year ? Whatever you can think about the guy as a player, Smith is not treated fairly in this process and I hate to see Balke and Harbaugh acting like this.
[ Edited by SwissNiner1255 on Mar 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM ]

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik:

Except crippling our cap space for the next couple years.

the only notable free agents next year for the niners would be.... dashon goldson and maybe delaine walker
Originally posted by WesCosOff4Lyf:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Smith = High School Sweetheart?

Man that is the reach of the decade.

Right. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he lead us to the NFC Championship game including 6 comeback victories with a shortened off-season which included "Camp Alex"? He deserves another year under Jim Harbaugh after 6 putrid offensive systems. I mean come on guys, Alex Smith is the stuff movies are made out of. He stuck it out and rewarded the fanbase. We owe it to the guy for allowing the Yorks to derail his career. What he has done just does not happen in the NFL. Idk, I just thought traits like perseverance were supposed to be rewarded.

There is no loyalty there is only winning. I agree that it would be a heart warming story. It could be a movie, or even Alex Smith - A football life
special on the NFL network. If he had won the SuperBowl can you imagine how much good feelings it would generate. Alex finally overcomes
the odds and all that. But he hasn't and probably won't. If you try to wash away 6 seasons of garbage with 1 good one it doesn't work. I'm glad the
49ers are telling Smith in no uncertain terms "We don't think you're the answer". He's got to take them where they want to go or he's no longer
useful.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

also that him and tebow could possibly be vying for back up spots. Theres Alex's market lol. 24 mill looks pretty good right about now

I'd fire my agent also if he advised me not to take that deal.

overvaluation FTL
[ Edited by susweel on Mar 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
From 2011: Take it as you will. I don't hate the Idea of Manning coming to the 49ers. But for all you bashing those who are skeptical I feel that is unfair. I feel there is very very legitimate reasoning as to why there is reason for concern. Now this article sais the chances of healing are likely and maybe right now is the case, but it also imply's that nobody know's anything until he gets out there on the field and is playing full contact. To me it's such a huge risk, this isn't even really about Alex to a big degree.

By Jaboner Jackson 8 am | I've reviewed Peyton Manning's neck injury and surgery with our team medical expert, Hassan A. Riaz, MD, MBA, twice already over the past two months. Dr. Riaz was pessimistic in both of our discussions

What kind of symptoms would Manning be experiencing if he had degeneration?

It's same to assume that Manning has numbness and loss of strength in in his hands and arms. Manning was cleared to practice about a week ago. As I previously mentioned, he was symptom free at rest. But during vigorous physical activity, his symptoms returned. The most concerning aspect of Manning's health is the probability that he has weakness in his arms. If he has diminished strength from his healthy baseline, he is unlikely to recover any time soon, if at all. It's important to remember that the nerves of the cervical spine provide sensation and strength to the hands and arms.

How serious is this, Doc?

Very much so. Let me put it this was: if Manning were a bricklayer and applied for permanent disability through Social Security, he would ultimately get permanent disability because of the fact that he has already had two cervical surgeries to correct issues with pain and neurological deficiencies and has to use his hands to make a living.

Persistent neurological symptoms need months to heal. This mean we're talking months before he comes back and not weeks. And I would not be surprised if Manning missed the entire 2011 season. A couple of weeks ago, Jim Irsay said that once Manning's nerves regenerate properly, he'll be ready to play. Frankly, I'm not sure what Mr. Irsay was talking about. Nerves do not regenerate. Function may return gradually once pressure on the spine and nerve roots is relieved but it's not guaranteed. It was not as if Manning had a cut nerve that needed to regrow. No, not at all. Manning had and still does have pressure on his disc and nerve roots causing neurological symptoms.

By all accounts, Manning is a tireless worker, but this is not the kind of injury that can rehabbed away. It truly is a wait and see kind of injury. Like always, I'm crossing my fingers for Manning to make a full and speedy recovery.

http://www.footballphds.com/2011/09/06/taking-another-look-at-peyton-mannings-neck-injury-with-dr-riaz/
Dammit, this makes me even more paranoid now...

what I have been saying people

This was written at the start of the season. He's had the months to recover as stated and has regained the strength in his arm by all accounts of the people in charge watching his workouts. He also passed our physical.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
From 2011: Take it as you will. I don't hate the Idea of Manning coming to the 49ers. But for all you bashing those who are skeptical I feel that is unfair. I feel there is very very legitimate reasoning as to why there is reason for concern. Now this article sais the chances of healing are likely and maybe right now is the case, but it also imply's that nobody know's anything until he gets out there on the field and is playing full contact. To me it's such a huge risk, this isn't even really about Alex to a big degree.

By Jaboner Jackson 8 am | I've reviewed Peyton Manning's neck injury and surgery with our team medical expert, Hassan A. Riaz, MD, MBA, twice already over the past two months. Dr. Riaz was pessimistic in both of our discussions

What kind of symptoms would Manning be experiencing if he had degeneration?

It's same to assume that Manning has numbness and loss of strength in in his hands and arms. Manning was cleared to practice about a week ago. As I previously mentioned, he was symptom free at rest. But during vigorous physical activity, his symptoms returned. The most concerning aspect of Manning's health is the probability that he has weakness in his arms. If he has diminished strength from his healthy baseline, he is unlikely to recover any time soon, if at all. It's important to remember that the nerves of the cervical spine provide sensation and strength to the hands and arms.

How serious is this, Doc?

Very much so. Let me put it this was: if Manning were a bricklayer and applied for permanent disability through Social Security, he would ultimately get permanent disability because of the fact that he has already had two cervical surgeries to correct issues with pain and neurological deficiencies and has to use his hands to make a living.

Persistent neurological symptoms need months to heal. This mean we're talking months before he comes back and not weeks. And I would not be surprised if Manning missed the entire 2011 season. A couple of weeks ago, Jim Irsay said that once Manning's nerves regenerate properly, he'll be ready to play. Frankly, I'm not sure what Mr. Irsay was talking about. Nerves do not regenerate. Function may return gradually once pressure on the spine and nerve roots is relieved but it's not guaranteed. It was not as if Manning had a cut nerve that needed to regrow. No, not at all. Manning had and still does have pressure on his disc and nerve roots causing neurological symptoms.

By all accounts, Manning is a tireless worker, but this is not the kind of injury that can rehabbed away. It truly is a wait and see kind of injury. Like always, I'm crossing my fingers for Manning to make a full and speedy recovery.

http://www.footballphds.com/2011/09/06/taking-another-look-at-peyton-mannings-neck-injury-with-dr-riaz/
Dammit, this makes me even more paranoid now...

what I have been saying people

This was written at the start of the season. He's had the months to recover as stated and has regained the strength in his arm by all accounts of the people in charge watching his workouts. He also passed our physical.

I suggest you read the article more thoroughly, you keep using the "are you an expert" bs...here are some experts for you
Share 49ersWebzone