LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by andes14:
Sorry Dude, but this doesn't ring true.

You say you work for an agent, and you "analyse, break down and summarize" contracts for him? What kind of agent is gonna leave that kind of work to someone else? Its just as easy to read and analyse a contract for yourself as it is to read someone else's summary or analysis of a contract. Maybe easier. What kind of agent needs someone else to "analyse" or explain a contract to them, or would trust someone else to do so for them?

You put together reports in preparation for negotiations? Exactly what kind of reports would those be? For a player agent, the only information that would seem to be relevant would concern the market value of other players--i.e., other OLBs who have recently signed contracts. That info should be accessible from the league rather quickly, and would be something the agent would want to know firsthand, for himself, not from some assistant's report.

You edit letters to clients "pointing out key aspects" of their contract? Some agent is leaving this up to you, not doing it themselves? How likely is it that a player would get that information in a letter, as opposed to having it explained to them, in person, by their agent when he goes over the proposed contract with them? And if the agent follows up with a letter, he will dictate and then edit it himself. That's far too important (since it memorializes all his advice) to leave to others.

As for the picture of the medallion, it doesn't appear all that convincing. How do we know you didn't just find the picture on the interwebs somewhere?

You keep saying that you admire Baalke & Harbaugh--but you simultaneously condemn Baalke and the FO for doing a contract that--according to you--is more than the market value would demand/require. You expect us to believe that you know more about the market value of NFL players than an NFL GM, who's paid millions a year to precisely know such things, just because you purportedly work for an agent?

You're entitled to your opinion, but the rest of this stuff is hard to believe.

Wow, first of all, you can doubt me and what I do all you want, I won't lose any sleep over it and you're just flat wrong about all of what you said regarding doubting what I do. 2nd of all, where did I say I know more about this stuff than a GM? I brought this up in response to an accusation that random message board users know more about the business than I do. BTW, were you in full support of Harbaugh keeping the FG over the 1st down vs. Dallas? Probably not. That doesn't mean you think you'd be a better coach than him just because you disagree with that particular decision, does it? My god you're so black and white with everything.
So, you're just gonna sidestep the questions raised? Well, that speaks volumes.

You're accusing me of lying. OK, what more do you want other than me saying I'm not. Then you accuse me of claiming I know more than Baalke? Huh? Just too ridiculous. Why don't you not sidestep the Harbaugh thing? Did you not disagree with his decision vs. Dallas? Doesn't mean you think you're a smarter coach, now does it?
[ Edited by andes14 on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

You say you work for an agent, and you "analyse, break down and summarize" contracts for him? What kind of agent is gonna leave that kind of work to someone else? Its just as easy to read and analyse a contract for yourself as it is to read someone else's summary or analysis of a contract. Maybe easier. What kind of agent needs someone else to "analyse" or explain a contract to them, or would trust someone else to do so for them?

You put together reports in preparation for negotiations? Exactly what kind of reports would those be? For a player agent, the only information that would seem to be relevant would concern the market value of other players--i.e., other OLBs who have recently signed contracts. That info should be accessible from the league rather quickly, and would be something the agent would want to know firsthand, for himself, not from some assistant's report.

You edit letters to clients "pointing out key aspects" of their contract? Some agent is leaving this up to you, not doing it themselves? How likely is it that a player would get that information in a letter, as opposed to having it explained to them, in person, by their agent when he goes over the proposed contract with them? And if the agent follows up with a letter, he will dictate and then edit it himself. That's far too important (since it memorializes all his advice) to leave to others.

As for the picture of the medallion, it doesn't appear all that convincing. How do we know you didn't just find the picture on the interwebs somewhere?

You keep saying that you admire Baalke & Harbaugh--but you simultaneously condemn Baalke and the FO for doing a contract that--according to you--is more than the market value would demand/require. You expect us to believe that you know more about the market value of NFL players than an NFL GM, who's paid millions a year to precisely know such things, just because you purportedly work for an agent?

Wow, first of all, you can doubt me and what I do all you want, I won't lose any sleep over it and you're just flat wrong about all of what you said regarding doubting what I do. 2nd of all, where did I say I know more about this stuff than a GM? I brought this up in response to an accusation that random message board users know more about the business than I do. BTW, were you in full support of Harbaugh keeping the FG over the 1st down vs. Dallas? Probably not. That doesn't mean you think you'd be a better coach than him just because you disagree with that particular decision, does it? My god you're so black and white with everything.

Seriously, what kind of agent relies on someone else to analyse a contract?

Contracts usually contain either boilerplate language or unique terms/clauses. The boilerplate stuff doesn't usually need much analysis. The unique clauses need firsthand analysis, not someone else's interpretation. The language itself has to be examined and understood firsthand--not via someone else's interpretation. Otherwise, why not just trust the other party's interpretation?

Dude's claim that he analyses, or breaks down, or summarizes contracts for the agent is incredible.

Just imagine: Agent to player: "I'd be happy to explain this to, just as soon as my assistant gives me her written analysis of it."

Player: "Exactly why am I paying you?"
[ Edited by Youngb on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM ]
You're accusing me of lying. OK, what more do you want other than me saying I'm not. Then you accuse me of claiming I know more than Baalke? Huh? Just too ridiculous. Why don't you not sidestep the Harbaugh thing? Did you not disagree with his decision vs. Dallas? Doesn't mean you think you're a smarter coach, now does it?
You can't expect everyone to believe everything that's posted on the interwebs. If what you post is not consistent and reasonable, some are going to question it. Your claims don't seem reasonable.

Why can't you answer the questions?

And you're anxious to change the subject and redirect the discussion to Harbaugh? That also speaks volumes.

Contracts usually contain either boilerplate language or unique terms/clauses. The boilerplate stuff doesn't usually need much analysis. The unique clauses need firsthand analysis, not someone else's interpretation. The language itself has to be examined and understood firsthand--not via someone else's interpretation. Otherwise, why not just trust the other party's interpretation?

Dude's claim that he analyses, or breaks down, or summarizes contracts for the agent is incredible.

Just imagine: Agent to player: "I'd be happy to explain this to, just as soon as my assistant gives me her written analysis of it."

Contract Lawyers? They let the agent/player or whatever party know what could possibly be a legal loophole for a side.
You can't expect everyone to believe everything that's posted on the interwebs. If what you post is not consistent and reasonable, some are going to question it. Your claims don't seem reasonable.

Why can't you answer the questions?

And you're anxious to change the subject and redirect the discussion to Harbaugh? That also speaks volumes.

I DON'T CARE IF YOU BELIEVE ME! This is getting ridiculous. Think what you want, I'm not trying to prove anything anymore and that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about the deal we gave Ahmad Brooks and I should be allowed to question it without being accused of thinking I know more than Baalke. That's why I mention Harbaugh. You can disagree with his decision to not take the first down without that meaning you think you're a better coach. Why you can't answer if you disagreed with it is unreal. Just answer that question.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

In total agreement, no good agent is going to pass of an interpretation of a contract to his/her assistant, in any entertainment industry, EVER. You can see the contracts, sure and get info from your boss on why things are worded the way they are, but to leave millions of dollars up to someone answering your phones and coordinating your schedule, no way in hell. Been there, done that and it's DEFINITELY not even close to how it works.
I'm shutting this down. Guys, this was supposed to be about Brooks. If this personal stuff starts up again, you know what comes next.
Share 49ersWebzone