LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
This might be the very BEST POST of yours that I've ever read!!

What a great read.

Thank you.

Thanks so much!!! Its finally fun to watch a competent coach and FO work together to build what many of us saw all along! "Is this real life?"
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NCommand:
A star? Who is a star at the SAM position in the league? If andes14 (disguised Lawson-lover) is accurate that we overpaid him, he'll need to show some stats/contract numbers to make this claim.

I, like Brooks, thought he s/h/b starting two years ago but unfortunately we had incompetent coaches (as he also noted) who were unwilling to let a player develop ON the field and make a mistake here and there while they grew in the process under proper coaching (see also, McDonald, Brown, Culliver, Bowman, etc). But things happen for a reason.

Brooks was selected as an alternate pro-bowler who has produced every time he's been asked to be on the field and in every position (WILL/SAM/TED/DE/DT) and provides the two key responsibilities of a SAM...pass rush production (8 sacks and 3rd in hits/hurries with 43) en route to sealing the edge (#1 in TFL and 6th in tackles) and this year, he was even better in underneath and outside coverage (he could have used some help on inside and over-the-top coverage to boot). He's always been a great athlete and good in coverage...in fact, b/c so many think Lawson is tremendous in coverage, over their respective careers, Brooks has 1 INT (for a TD) and 9 PD while Lawson has 2 to 17. Now how many more snaps did Lawson get over his 6 year career compared to Brooks? Bingo!

Brooks also has 7 FF's for us including 5 in 2009 and another last year (sack/fumble). You are not going to find a more complete SAM in the 3-4 and esp. at this price (signing bonus)! But the thing I like most about Brooks is that he does all the little things (intangibles), the Justin-Smith like things that lead to huge plays for this defense via INT's, making a critical stop on 3rd down, ensuring an incomplete pass that would have gone for a TD and he does this all with character and class (no show-boating). He's just the blue-collar worker like Justin Smith who is finally starting to get the credit it took Justin Smith to get after all these years.

Equally important is that Brooks pressure comes from the strong side and in plain sight of the QB (not the blind side). 8 sacks from this position along with 43 pressures/hurries is remarkable esp. in his first year. The strong side is the side of the field the TE usually lines up on (to block or flair out) and the RB/FB is looking to pound or be an extra blocker. This means Brooks is often facing not only a RT but a TE and RB while pass rushes while always having to seal the edge and be mindful of the screen passes. And how did we do against the screen passes this year fellas, compared to last year? To me, this is equally as impressive as 14 sacks off the bench. But Brooks did this all with McDonald hurt or not healthy 100% of the time, while taking on the double teams (see playoffs too) and not over Justin Smith over on the weak side.

These plays lead to the secondary being able to take more risks, play tighter and be more physical and undercut routes b/c they know the pressure is not only getting there but is RIGHT IN THE FACE of the QB which leads to critical TO's. Baalke gets it...you take care of your front 7 b/c they will take care of your back end. We were carved up all year in yardage allowed but the front 7 shut down the run completely and was even more effective in the RZ which allowed the back end to clamp down even more and only give up FG's and garner 48 take-aways.

But the bottom line is, when you run a 3-4, your 4 LBers are critical and when you have a SAM/WILL who can produce between them, 24 sacks and close to 90 hits/pressures/hurries and who also contributed to a record-breaking run-defense while playing straight up for the entire year d/t the paired-down playbook and factor in their age and durability and upside, you do whatever it takes to keep them together and build off that chemistry. Period.

And Brooks signed a fair deal and had no intentions to be anything other than a Niner. Now quit your whining and enjoy the moment! Great work FO!
This might be the very BEST POST of yours that I've ever read!!

What a great read.

Thank you.

NC nailed it.

Some guys don't understand the game in depth and this does a great job at explaining it. Thanks.
NC understands the game, especially the defense, in depth. No question. And he's able to articulate it as well.

What a GREAT POST, NC!
^Exactly!^

BTW tico, even with Brooks, Aldon and Haralson, if Nick Perry, slips to #30, I hope we take him.

He'd be BPA, and THEN we'd have a deep corps of OLBs!

I can see the niners trading Haralson to a 3-4 OLB starved team. The guy is going to make 4 million I believe which could mean he will get cut as well. Either way I see the team drafting an OLB or bringing in a veteran backup for well south of 4 million and using that money on Rogers.
Thanks so much!!! Its finally fun to watch a competent coach and FO work together to build what many of us saw all along! "Is this real life?"
Truly, this past season seemed like a dream at times.

So looking forward to watching the next steps in the progression of the team.

Being able to read posts like yours, and those of the many other knowledgeable fans on this board, only makes it that much better.

Man, I can't wait for the season to get here!

Thanks again to you for an EXCELLENT POST!
Originally posted by walker807:
I can see the niners trading Haralson to a 3-4 OLB starved team. The guy is going to make 4 million I believe which could mean he will get cut as well. Either way I see the team drafting an OLB or bringing in a veteran backup for well south of 4 million and using that money on Rogers.
Yeah, I could see a trade, or asking him to restructure, like they did with Ginn last year.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by crabman82:
not even if u get an agent coffee and clean the cookie crumbs off his desk?

Why do you just assume what I do is insignifican? It's completely impossible that I've done legitimate work?

Sorry dude, you're not going to convince anyone here that you do legitimate work as an assistant. And this is from someone who's gone farther than you doing the same thing. No one's going to listen to a thing you have to say until you're a franchised agent, end of story.

First of all, how the hell would you know how far I've gone and how that compares to your career?? How could you POSSIBLY know? You don't know me! LMAO.

This should provide a bit of legitimacy to what I do. Last draft, there were these silver medallions at each table in the green room and my boss gave it to me.

Because you're an assistant and I'm not?
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM ]

LMAO...you're an NFL agent?
Originally posted by English:
Nice post NC. This is going to be a D for the ages this year (touch wood on injuries).

If we lose Rogers, I don't see how our 2012 D could possibly be much better than our 2011 D...
Originally posted by English:
Nice post NC. This is going to be a D for the ages this year (touch wood on injuries).

If we lose Rogers, I don't see how our 2012 D could possibly be much better than our 2011 D...

It's a fair concern! But, like Lawson and many before him, it will be THEIR choice to leave in the end. Baalke and the FO know what he's worth and he knows his market value. They will make it work. If not, next man up and Vic will continue to install the next, more intricate wave of the playbook that (in theory) should include more blitzing and disguised designs utilizing more of the front 7 better than last year. That alone, could seriously help the secondary even more. And let's not forget how late we picked him up last year in FA. No doubt, we'd all like to keep him but it "may" not be as devastating as we think esp. if younger guys continue to grow and get an opportunity to shine.
I see a hint of Nate Clements in this deal......with that said Im not worried about the cap.....

Orrrrrr, you could not be all condescending and give someone the benefit of the doubt that they're not someone who does b***hwork. Lol, what do I gotta do, e-mail you spreadsheets that I've done? Contracts that I've analyzed, broken down, and summarized? Reports I've put together for preparations for negotiations? Letters I've edited for clients pointing out key aspects of their contract? Good lord, I'm not trying to say I'm Drew Rosenhaus or someone super accomplished in the field, just that random message board users shouldn't blindly claim that they have more knowledge in the business than someone they don't know or have met.

And I feel so many are in support of this deal just because Baalke's a great GM and deservedly won Exec of the Year. I love Baalke. Doesn't mean I can't even make my own opinion and analysis on a move he does that causes me to raise an eyebrow. Like I said, many of you (myself included) were pissed about the Harbaugh FG debacle vs. Dallas. That doesn't mean you think you're a better coach than him, just that you disagree with that particular decision.

Brooks is the 6th-7th best player on our D at BEST. He is a good player, a solid player. He at this point is NOT a star (though clearly this contract indicates we anticipate him to be), and I personally believe that only established stars warrant north of $17M guaranteed, If you look around the league, there are tons of guys that have done more than Brooks that are making a lot less.
Sorry Dude, but this doesn't ring true.

You say you work for an agent, and you "analyse, break down and summarize" contracts for him? What kind of agent is gonna leave that kind of work to someone else? Its just as easy to read and analyse a contract for yourself as it is to read someone else's summary or analysis of a contract. Maybe easier. What kind of agent needs someone else to "analyse" or explain a contract to them, or would trust someone else to do so for them?

You put together reports in preparation for negotiations? Exactly what kind of reports would those be? For a player agent, the only information that would seem to be relevant would concern the market value of other players--i.e., other OLBs who have recently signed contracts. That info should be accessible from the league rather quickly, and would be something the agent would want to know firsthand, for himself, not from some assistant's report.

You edit letters to clients "pointing out key aspects" of their contract? Some agent is leaving this up to you, not doing it themselves? How likely is it that a player would get that information in a letter, as opposed to having it explained to them, in person, by their agent when he goes over the proposed contract with them? And if the agent follows up with a letter, he will dictate and then edit it himself. That's far too important (since it memorializes all his advice) to leave to others.

As for the picture of the medallion, it doesn't appear all that convincing. How do we know you didn't just find the picture on the interwebs somewhere?

You keep saying that you admire Baalke & Harbaugh--but you simultaneously condemn Baalke and the FO for doing a contract that--according to you--is more than the market value would demand/require. You expect us to believe that you know more about the market value of NFL players than an NFL GM, who's paid millions a year to precisely know such things, just because you purportedly work for an agent?

You're entitled to your opinion, but the rest of this stuff is hard to believe.
It's a fair concern! But, like Lawson and many before him, it will be THEIR choice to leave in the end. Baalke and the FO know what he's worth and he knows his market value. They will make it work. If not, next man up and Vic will continue to install the next, more intricate wave of the playbook that (in theory) should include more blitzing and disguised designs utilizing more of the front 7 better than last year. That alone, could seriously help the secondary even more. And let's not forget how late we picked him up last year in FA. No doubt, we'd all like to keep him but it "may" not be as devastating as we think esp. if younger guys continue to grow and get an opportunity to shine.

Btw, I am not some Manny Lawson superfan. I was saying since that LOLB spot is gonna be doing a lot of covering on early downs since we rarely rush more than 4 and those 4 will often be the 3 DL + Aldon, Lawson excels at what we'd ask him to do at a fraction of the price that Brooks received...so IF we were to lose Brooks, Lawson would have just been such a logical and efficient signing. He excels at setting the edge and covering which we'd ask him to do a lot of, and struggles at rushing the passer, which we wouldn't ask him to do much of anyways. And then on passing downs the 4 rushing would have been Aldon, Justin, Ray, and maybe like some draft pick that can come in and play LDE on 3rd downs. So just saying we would have a VERY good backup plan had we gambled and let Brooks hit the open market. We either would have gotten him for cheaper (or at worst, around the same price), or, if some team blew our offer out of the water and offered like $25 or 30M guaranteed (highly unlikely), we let him walk with a VERY good alternative in place...

LMAO...you're an NFL agent?

No, but clearly my reading comprehension is a lot better than yours.

I'm actually an executive at an international distribution company, hence me not being an assistant.

Like I said before, I was in your shoes for some time at one point in my life, and quite frankly, you don't know s**t regardless what kind of agency it is. If your boss is good at his job, you don't have time to jack off on the internet like you're clearly doing right now.

You say you work for an agent, and you "analyse, break down and summarize" contracts for him? What kind of agent is gonna leave that kind of work to someone else? Its just as easy to read and analyse a contract for yourself as it is to read someone else's summary or analysis of a contract. Maybe easier. What kind of agent needs someone else to "analyse" or explain a contract to them, or would trust someone else to do so for them?

You put together reports in preparation for negotiations? Exactly what kind of reports would those be? For a player agent, the only information that would seem to be relevant would concern the market value of other players--i.e., other OLBs who have recently signed contracts. That info should be accessible from the league rather quickly, and would be something the agent would want to know firsthand, for himself, not from some assistant's report.

You edit letters to clients "pointing out key aspects" of their contract? Some agent is leaving this up to you, not doing it themselves? How likely is it that a player would get that information in a letter, as opposed to having it explained to them, in person, by their agent when he goes over the proposed contract with them? And if the agent follows up with a letter, he will dictate and then edit it himself. That's far too important (since it memorializes all his advice) to leave to others.

As for the picture of the medallion, it doesn't appear all that convincing. How do we know you didn't just find the picture on the interwebs somewhere?

You keep saying that you admire Baalke & Harbaugh--but you simultaneously condemn Baalke and the FO for doing a contract that--according to you--is more than the market value would demand/require. You expect us to believe that you know more about the market value of NFL players than an NFL GM, who's paid millions a year to precisely know such things, just because you purportedly work for an agent?

Wow, first of all, you can doubt me and what I do all you want, I won't lose any sleep over it and you're just flat wrong about all of what you said regarding doubting what I do. 2nd of all, where did I say I know more about this stuff than a GM? I brought this up in response to an accusation that random message board users know more about the business than I do. BTW, were you in full support of Harbaugh keeping the FG over the 1st down vs. Dallas? Probably not. That doesn't mean you think you'd be a better coach than him just because you disagree with that particular decision, does it? My god you're so black and white with everything.

Wow, first of all, you can doubt me and what I do all you want, I won't lose any sleep over it and you're just flat wrong about all of what you said regarding doubting what I do. 2nd of all, where did I say I know more about this stuff than a GM? I brought this up in response to an accusation that random message board users know more about the business than I do. BTW, were you in full support of Harbaugh keeping the FG over the 1st down vs. Dallas? Probably not. That doesn't mean you think you'd be a better coach than him just because you disagree with that particular decision, does it? My god you're so black and white with everything.
So, you're just gonna sidestep the questions raised? Well, that speaks volumes.
Share 49ersWebzone