There are 630 users in the forums
Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)
Feb 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM
- DaDivaRecieva15
- Veteran
- Posts: 37,974
The real "Speed Limit 55"
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM
- JustinNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,762
Originally posted by Mookster:
Originally posted by cciowa:
thank you jake,, i agree with you and susweet in regards to grant, would like to keep him but i am sure he will get some money and he knows he has no change to start with the crew in front of him
I'll double check but I thought Grant was a Restricted Free Agent. If so I believe the Niners can tender him a contract offer (I would think a 3rd round would do it). If someone else signed him the Niners get their 3rd round pick as compensation. If not the Niners keep him.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
i think you can only put a 1st, 2nd, or 7th tender on RFAs
sucks bc a 7th is way too low but 2nd may be too high. Im hoping maybe someone like Philly (has a need at ILB and 2 2nd rd picks) will be willing to give a 2nd for grant
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM
- Youngb
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,257
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by Mookster:
Originally posted by cciowa:
thank you jake,, i agree with you and susweet in regards to grant, would like to keep him but i am sure he will get some money and he knows he has no change to start with the crew in front of him
I'll double check but I thought Grant was a Restricted Free Agent. If so I believe the Niners can tender him a contract offer (I would think a 3rd round would do it). If someone else signed him the Niners get their 3rd round pick as compensation. If not the Niners keep him.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
i think you can only put a 1st, 2nd, or 7th tender on RFAs
sucks bc a 7th is way too low but 2nd may be too high. Im hoping maybe someone like Philly (has a need at ILB and 2 2nd rd picks) will be willing to give a 2nd for grant
That would be ideal, getting a 2nd rounder for him would be very nice
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM
- goldstandard
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,436
Originally posted by andes14:He's not a star. He's a guy who does everything very well. That's something not as easily replaceable as you might think. He's not Aldon, he'll never have huge sack totals, but that's not the player we need him to be. He's not a star, but he's under rated because of the talent around him. This defense would be losing a lot if he left.
Honestly, it's not even gonna be easy to list guys with a lot of you because the CORE problem at hand is you guys are overrating Brooks. He is not a star, but you guys think he is one. Hell on our defense alone, it'd hurt more to lose J. Smith, A. Smith, Willis, Bowman, Rogers, Goldson, and even McDonald, Sopoaga, and T. Brown are debatable. But I bet most of you think Brooks is a top-5 OLB in the entire NFL or something, so unless I say someone who is super elite, you will just say that Brooks is better anyways.
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM
- buck
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by Mookster:
Originally posted by cciowa:
thank you jake,, i agree with you and susweet in regards to grant, would like to keep him but i am sure he will get some money and he knows he has no change to start with the crew in front of him
I'll double check but I thought Grant was a Restricted Free Agent. If so I believe the Niners can tender him a contract offer (I would think a 3rd round would do it). If someone else signed him the Niners get their 3rd round pick as compensation. If not the Niners keep him.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
There is no third round tender. I pretty sure you can have a first round tender, a second round tender, and original pick tender.
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM
- buck
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,137
I am glad that we signed Brooks. He was the player that I did not think we would be able to keep.
A six year contact that is worth a maximum of 44.5M and that has only 17.5 million guaranteed does not seem unreasonable.
He is guaranteed less than 3 million a year.
If the actual life of the contract is five years, Brooks gets 3.1 million a year guaranteed. In my opinion, that is not a high salary for a starting 3-4 OLB.
If he earns the incentives, good for him and better for the team.
A six year contact that is worth a maximum of 44.5M and that has only 17.5 million guaranteed does not seem unreasonable.
He is guaranteed less than 3 million a year.
If the actual life of the contract is five years, Brooks gets 3.1 million a year guaranteed. In my opinion, that is not a high salary for a starting 3-4 OLB.
If he earns the incentives, good for him and better for the team.
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM
- LoboLtnLvr49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,494
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Now I know why Aldon Smith runs back to the bench after he gets a sack, because if he doesn't he barely gets any room on the bench.
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM
- WillistheWall
- Veteran
- Posts: 22,848
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Now I know why Aldon Smith runs back to the bench after he gets a sack, because if he doesn't he barely gets any room on the bench.
This is true
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM
- WillistheWall
- Veteran
- Posts: 22,848
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You said "passing downs." We are in our Nickel Defense for "passing downs" (its our defense when we expect teams to pass), which is a 4 man front. In the Nickel, both Aldon and Brooks are regular rushers. So, Brooks will rush just as frequently on passing downs. And you are incorrect that Haralson barely rushed on base downs. Watch the games again. He didn't rush quite as often as Brooks, but it was much closer than you think (stating he wasn't around the QB often doesn't mean he wasn't sent; it means he didn't get there). When Aldon was in on base downs (blowout, late season, and Haralson hurt), he still dropped several times a game. The reason why Baalke explicitly stated that the primary requirement for 3-4 OLBs is pass rushing, is that a 3-4 disguises where the 4th rusher comes from, so you must be equally dangerous as a defense sending either OLB. That's why Pittsburg keeps two expensive OLBs and drafts for the next one every year. They do that 3-4 pretty well over there.
Oops, ya my bad. Should have said downs or plays in general, not passing downs. Also, Pittsburgh often rushes 5 and 6 guys so having two outside 'backers that can rush well is more important. It's not as important for us because we rarely rush more than 4. And since our d-line is better than Pit's, we can get away with it.
Their DLine used to be every bit as good as ours though with Keisel, Hampton, and Smith. They had 3 very good starters. I mean come on man, Fangio used to blitz a lot more, one of the reasons he didn't this year is because of limited offseason time that prevented them from getting into the entire play book.
I don't care, I hope we don't blitz much next year either. Our defense was LEGENDARY and if mostly what we did was rush 4 and drop 7, then that's what I hope and expect we do in 2012.
lol So you think that other team's won't look at film of this year's D and exploit our tendencies and holes? You really think doing the same exact thing is going to work as well in 2012? It's probably not dude, plus guys can get injured and/or slow down a bit and lose a step. Not to mention if Aldon wants to be a starter he's going to have to learn how to drop back a bit and play the run consistently well, otherwise he is going to stick in that role as a 3rd down pass rusher. He was drafted to become that and that's what makes the 3-4 D effective because you can bring or drop either OLB, cover different areas of the field, have your ILBs blitz too, or whatever. Otherwise you might as well play a 4-3.
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM
- nw9erfan
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,497
Originally posted by oldninerdude:Mine too...
Do a little research on him and maybe rewatch some games.
He's very gifted physically, has the size, strength and speed to play the position--which is hard to find--and contributed alot to the defense this year. He may have played as many snaps as Justin Smith. Stats don't tell the whole story. He and RayMac on one side, with the Smiths on the other side caused nightmares for offenses on passing downs this year.
He's worth every nickel, IMHO. Completely understandable that he'd be a priority to resign, moreso than Rogers or Goldson. IMHO.
Brooks is a stud.....and I agree with those who state that his best football is yet to come. IMHO, he has several Pro Bowls in him, especially in Fangio's defense.
This was a vital move for the team at this time with so little depth at the position...and it gives the team much more flexibility in the draft
Nice.
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:11 AM
- 49er4life
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,542
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:Mine too...
Do a little research on him and maybe rewatch some games.
He's very gifted physically, has the size, strength and speed to play the position--which is hard to find--and contributed alot to the defense this year. He may have played as many snaps as Justin Smith. Stats don't tell the whole story. He and RayMac on one side, with the Smiths on the other side caused nightmares for offenses on passing downs this year.
He's worth every nickel, IMHO. Completely understandable that he'd be a priority to resign, moreso than Rogers or Goldson. IMHO.
Brooks is a stud.....and I agree with those who state that his best football is yet to come. IMHO, he has several Pro Bowls in him, especially in Fangio's defense.
This was a vital move for the team at this time with so little depth at the position...and it gives the team much more flexibility in the draft
Nice.
I agree completely.
I good pass rush always benefits the DB's.
Now Lets get Rogers a deal done and tag Goldson! Keeping this D together!
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM
- Oakland-Niner
- Member
- Posts: 24,062
oops
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:34 AM ]
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:32 AM
- Oakland-Niner
- Member
- Posts: 24,062
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I am thrilled that we still have Brooks. But surprised that we are willing to put that much money into our linebackers (who will be the best in the game by FAR, for YEARS).
I can't imagine how we're going to pay Rogers now. If we pay him what he wants, we aren't going to sign any big free agents. IMO, cornerbacks are overpaid in the modern NFL.
I think our team is really high on Culliver and Brown. I think Rogers will test the waters, and be a little bit surprised. Then maybe he works out something reasonable with us.
I'm guessing this is our FOs strategy; Lock up high quality elite players that play "non-superstar" positions and just get quality players for the superstar position. That's the only way to manage the cap in todays NFL. Thats why I dont see us going big at QB, WR or CB. Willis and Davis didn't have contracts that would bankrupt us. And positions that are highly paid, I think you'll see us offer extensions early (i.e...Staley).
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:37 AM
- Cjez
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 170,706
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:Aldon: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
Brooks:
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:48 AM
- Niners4ever
- Veteran
- Posts: 800
At least 10 of 11 starters back on D. These guys will be kickin some major a*** next season.
