LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

What keeps the offense from begin elite

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Whoops, I clicked "Post This Reply" early on accident.

It was supposed to read:

"11 men learn a new offense at their own pace, and must have time to learn their roles, and what to expect from the people around them. They will need extended time in the system before we can point to any one player as a weak link to the overall unit, other than obvious physical/athletic shortcomings."

no, you were right the first time
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:

It was supposed to read:

"11 men learn a new offense at their own pace, and must have time to learn their roles, and what to expect from the people around them. They will need extended time in the system before we can point to any one player as a weak link to the overall unit, other than obvious physical/athletic shortcomings."

I hate to say it for the 5th year but THIS will finally be the year we will finally be able to understand what type of level of a NFL player Alex Smith will be.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by dj43:
It would also help the long ball a lot if we had poorer field position. Our stupid defense keeps getting the ball back too close to the opponent's goal line. Special teams also hurt the long ball. Next year let's hope our starting field position is our own 20 yard line. We need more room to operate. Just look at Green Bay. Rodgers has good long ball numbers because their defense and ST are helping him by giving him more field to cross. Brees gets the same benefit.

Motto for next year: MORE FIELD SPACE TO CROSS!! NO MORE SHORT FIELDS!!!

You act as if our average starting position of the 33 yard line is such a huge difference than Green Bays 30 yard line or New Orleans 28 yard line.

I know most of your post was sarcasm, but your point still came across. But your point of using our best in the league starting field position as a way to justify our lack of success in long passes is silly.

Everybody wants a tall big body WR, but do you guys really see Alex just throwing it up and playing jump ball? I dont.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Everybody wants a tall big body WR, but do you guys really see Alex just throwing it up and playing jump ball? I dont.

sorry just a little confused here

why would you throw jump balls to guys who are 6 1 (tallest WR on our team is that height)

i have seen a few to VD though
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

why would you throw jump balls to guys who are 6 1 (tallest WR on our team is that height)

Hes talking about Alex Smith throwing the jump balls, not "you". Alex Smith and jump balls goes as well together as Lebron James and 4th quarter.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Hes talking about Alex Smith throwing the jump balls, not "you". Alex Smith and jump balls goes as well together as Lebron James and 4th quarter.

my statement stands though

why would you throw jump balls to short Wrs though?

I just dont see him as that type of QB. He's more cautious than any other QB in the league. And I dont think he's thrown "jump balls" to Davis. There was that one underthrown ball that Davis had to jump over Rolls shoulder pads for, but thats all I can remember.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Of course the number of passes thrown matter. Smith has had plenty of shots though. But like i said ealier, Matt Flynn had 3 completions over 30 yards in only a handful of snaps.

Regardless, one of Smith's problem is the long ball. Yeah Brady struggled with it this year and i bet they are trying to fix it.

Most of the better QBs have better long ball numbers then Smith. Why so hard to accept that?

We need him to step up in that regard.

Smith's long tosses became more and more effective as the year progressed and became really good in the playoffs. A number of Smith's early attempts were dropped or the route not run to completion early on. When I did my research some time ago Smith was not as good as Rodgers or Brees on long throws but much better than Brady. Does that mean he is better than Brady? Of course not, but to say he has a problem with long balls is just not proven by the stats presented a page back.

Brady did not struggle with it, he had no long ball--there is a difference. Can you separate the QB numbers from the protection given by the line? From the quality of the WR? From the amount of time the QB and WRs had together? Trying to prove Smith is bad is becoming a culture of sorts, but no one seems to spend the time to do exhaustive research to support their perceptions...including me!

I will be happy to wait and see how much the niners can improve next year in every phase. If they lose a few FAs or have injuries to the D the O will need to step up and I believe they will be up to the charge.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

Is that the only thing you can do with a big receiver? Throw it up and play jump ball?

I don't think anyone's saying that a big, fast, #1 Wide Receiver makes Alex Smith the next Brett Favre. It simply makes him a better Alex Smith. And until Jim Harbaugh falls out of love with Smith, he's our QB.

A lot of shorter receivers get jump balls.
Originally posted by Lifer:

Is that the only thing you can do with a big receiver? Throw it up and play jump ball?

I don't think anyone's saying that a big, fast, #1 Wide Receiver makes Alex Smith the next Brett Favre. It simply makes him a better Alex Smith. And until Jim Harbaugh falls out of love with Smith, he's our QB.

No need to get defensive and bring a bunch of bagage into the conversation. Even when we had Braylon he was more likely to almost throw it out of bounds where Braylon could barely get it, rather than up in the air where Braylon had to jump.

A lot of shorter receivers get jump balls.

They have to jump more just to reach the ball!

It was supposed to read:

I hate to say it for the 5th year but THIS will finally be the year we will finally be able to understand what type of level of a NFL player Alex Smith will be.

So even you admit some continuity of OC, HC, system, players is important? And a full offseason with Harbaugh instead of a stunted one? 2 years with a guy he responded to. No question he can be better. IMO 2012 or 2013 will tell you what Alex can really become. 3 years in the same system would really be better. But even 2 is more than he ever had. Some of the top QB's have been playing with the same HC and system for like 7 + years. I think 3 is the true benchmark of what he can be meaning 2013. But I suspect even in 2012 he will be better than what we have ever seen and he will give some indication of what type of player he can be.

It was supposed to read:

No, you don't hate to say it. You can't wait to say it. You guys can't wait for him to fail so that you guys can final say "we were right." Otherwise, all this is moot. You guys place this POV of strict importance and rarely swerve from it. I've seen this type of behavior before and nothing comes from it because ultimately, only you guys would get your jollies off of someone failing.

That's the POV I just don't understand, nor want to.

Hope you guys fail. That way, we know that Alex proved you wrong.
[ Edited by ninertico on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone