There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

On twitter maybe but not on the field C'maan!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
I personally think that this is Alex at his best.. he's maxed out .. Like Vinny Testarverde (another former 1st pick) Alex Smith is a QB who can not carry a team. .. Aside from the last two series vs the Saints, he wasn't that much impressive. And against the Giants, it proves you (and Mike Singletary) that QB "is" the MOST important position in football.

We needed 30+ yards to give this year's best kicker (Akers) a chance to win the game, but Alex just continue to shy away from our WRs down the field. He never gave any of them a chance to make plays.

I disagree. His receiving options were atrocious and never gave Alex a chance to make a play. Outside of Vernon Davis, nobody showed up to play. When you have Kyle Williams starting and Brett Swain as your #3 (he hardly saw the field because he sucks) you're gonna have a hard time spreading the ball around. We saw what Alex was capable of with those 2 beautiful strikes to Vernon. We need more legit playmakers.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I personally think that this is Alex at his best.. he's maxed out .. Like Vinny Testarverde (another former 1st pick) Alex Smith is a QB who can not carry a team. .. Aside from the last two series vs the Saints, he wasn't that much impressive. And against the Giants, it proves you (and Mike Singletary) that QB "is" the MOST important position in football.

We needed 30+ yards to give this year's best kicker (Akers) a chance to win the game, but Alex just continue to shy away from our WRs down the field. He never gave any of them a chance to make plays.

I disagree. His receiving options were atrocious and never gave Alex a chance to make a play. Outside of Vernon Davis, nobody showed up to play. When you have Kyle Williams starting and Brett Swain as your #3 (he hardly saw the field because he sucks) you're gonna have a hard time spreading the ball around. We saw what Alex was capable of with those 2 beautiful strikes to Vernon. We need more legit playmakers.
Yeah it's tough to give him a fair evaluation with so many injuries to his receivers. He looked good at times and bad at other times.

Competition is great, the better QB will start. Last year it made sense to stick with Alex because he knew the guys and a bit more of the offense already, I expect it to be more open this year. I don't know if it'll be this year or next but I think there's always the chance Kaepernick just has a better camp.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Some people believe in Leprechauns and the Tooth Fairy. So what? Doesn't mean he is going to start....

Alex was ranked 9th in QB ranking. He went 14 - 4. Led his team to the NFC Championship. But for KW's fumbles we would have been in the Super Bowl. He had one of the highest QB rankings of playoff QB's. 5 TD's and 0 Int's in the playoffs. 4 pass, 1 rush and 0 int's. He will be tough to unseat.

Wasnt Dilfer replaced after "leading" his team to a SB?

dilfer didnt make history by bring only qb in nfl history to have 2 scoring drives in last 3 minutes

and dilfer didnt have 5 td 0 int in playoffs either

Alex played better than Dilfer in his Super Bowl year. With 1 year in the system and no offseason. Don't get the Dilfer comparison. Alex is better than that.
I would be surprised if CK can't take Alex's job next year. If CK has a basic grasp of the offense, a developing CK is better than Smith.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Some people believe in Leprechauns and the Tooth Fairy. So what? Doesn't mean he is going to start....

Alex was ranked 9th in QB ranking. He went 14 - 4. Led his team to the NFC Championship. But for KW's fumbles we would have been in the Super Bowl. He had one of the highest QB rankings of playoff QB's. 5 TD's and 0 Int's in the playoffs. 4 pass, 1 rush and 0 int's. He will be tough to unseat.

Wasnt Dilfer replaced after "leading" his team to a SB?

dilfer didnt make history by bring only qb in nfl history to have 2 scoring drives in last 3 minutes

and dilfer didnt have 5 td 0 int in playoffs either

Alex played better than Dilfer in his Super Bowl year. With 1 year in the system and no offseason. Don't get the Dilfer comparison. Alex is better than that.

The Dilfer comparison is being no differently than those making the comparison to top 5 QBs who have been top 5 QBs for several years. My point is that the Saints game is being used as a holy grail but during all these years it was mentioned that QBs like Cleo Lemon can even have these types of games but why couldn't Alex. Alex did and he's all of a sudden annointed as a top QB but in reality, he is more likely to be a Anderson, Delhome, or even a Matt Moore in 2012 than he is to be a Drew Brees or even a Rivers.

This is why it is not out of the realm of Kaep winning the job. Just heard on 95.7 that the coaches are very high on Kaep and Eric Davis, teams radio announcer, even said the kid is looking very good and the coaches are liking him.
KNBR just reported that Harbaugh and Alex carpooled down to the charity golf event they played in yesterday at Pebble Beach.

Sounds like they have a great relationship. Great for Kaep to have a competitive fire, but sounds like Smith-Harbaugh have an extremely close relationship on and off the field.
I hope so, and I hope Tolzen gives him a run for his money as well! Competition!!!!
I think Harbaugh just shattered Kaep's dreams for this year: Hey, if Harbaugh's selling, I'm buying...even Alex Smith.

Smith is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this offseason, but it appears highly unlikely that he'll still be available to the other 31 teams in the league when the free-agent signing period opens March 13.

Harbaugh has made it clear he wants Smith re-signed, and he said Tuesday on "Chronicle Live" that the 49ers' decision-makers are in agreement that Smith is needed back."We're all in lockstep as an organization that Alex Smith is our guy. It's well-documented. You saw the way he played this year," Harbaugh told host Jim Kozimor. "(He is a) tremendous leader on our football team.

"There's Alex and there are other guys, too, that are high priorities. We want our guys. There are guys who play like 49ers, and what they do is they play their hearts out for our team. So Alex and others, (it's) going to be a high-priority to get those guys signed."

Read more: Harbaugh: Unanimous within 49ers that Smith is 'our guy' Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM ]
It's like they say, the back up QB is always the most popular player in town.
Then, CK should've been a caddy for JH then instead of AS. I'm in no hurry to have CK start later this year. But for the following season afterwards, I fully expect him to be a legit starter and challenge Smith for the starting role.
The Zone talent evaluation rule of thumb -- Best QB on the team is always the one on the bench.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
meh we'll see.
Harbaugh is a good teacher and I see our QB's making big strides, I wouldnt be shocked at all to see Tolzien put up strong numbers in pre-season, he should also benefit from the time he has had to absorb the offensive system ...having three capable QB's with a great understanding of the system will make our team even better
Must be painful for the people who don't like Smith to hear these endorsement comments by Harbaugh of Smith. Knowing in their hearts Smith suck major balls but Harbaugh in his strange ways still don't see the same that they are seeing.