LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The only people that think CK can be a meaningful starter next year are the ones that don't like Alex Smith -- want anyone other than. And most likely the same people that were on the nuts of Troy Smith and Nate Davis

This is pure ignorance. I'm a big fan of Alex Smith and want him to succeed no matter where he plays. He has had to deal with ignorant fans booing him and calling him a bust for the first six years of his career. Through all of that he has persevered when there was a much easier way out. He deserved this trip to the playoffs for what he has been through. Now that you know I've been rooting for Alex Smith from day one and will until his career is over, I'm going to let you know I'm still skeptical of his ability as a quarterback and feel it's a huge risk to offer a big dollar long term contract to someone who mostly managed games this season. He could potentially be a star now that he is with a competent staff, but he could also be the 17 touchdown 5int 186 yard per game manager we saw this season. If that is all we get from him in the future, I'd much rather spend that ten million on the reasons we were in the playoffs(defense, special teams) and put a cheap player behind center because we all know Harbaugh will protect them with his defense and running game.

Since you seem to disagree with the essence of my post. This still don't address why you think CK will be ready for a starting job over Smith next year.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
What is he supposed to say: "I suck". Of course, he will say that he is competing for the starting job. However, let's be real. Are the Niners going to hand the keys to unproven guy who wasn't even competitive last season? Especially after Smith signs a five year, $50 million contract. The barrage of CK threads is just another veiled attempt to bash Smith. We have been down this road before with Nate Davis, Troy Smith, and a handful of others. The reality is that CK is fighting to be the number TWO quarterback next year.

Why are you comparing scrubs like Davis (5thround) and Smith (5th) to a high second round Qb that we moved up to get?

Why are you attempting to compare and put so much faith in a second round, spread offense, without a full TC qb over a 7 years vet that went through hell and back , got us to the NFCC game, 2 TDs to VD and 2 fumbles away from the SB.

Because two of the guys that picked him and gave up picks to get him won awards this year. One guy for the ability to scout talent, and the other coach of the year.

/thread.

That's a pretty thin reasoning for expecting CK over Smith next year. Drafting moves are mostly made because of where and how they expect the player they covet in draft in competition with other team that may want him. Not necessarily how they think that player will compete in the following year with the incumbent player. Unless he's sure fire high first rounder that is clearly more talented than the aging incumbent. Like P. Willis over Derek Smith. Or Cam Newton over Alex Smith.
What is he supposed to say: "I suck". Of course, he will say that he is competing for the starting job. However, let's be real. Are the Niners going to hand the keys to unproven guy who wasn't even competitive last season? Especially after Smith signs a five year, $50 million contract. The barrage of CK threads is just another veiled attempt to bash Smith. We have been down this road before with Nate Davis, Troy Smith, and a handful of others. The reality is that CK is fighting to be the number TWO quarterback next year.

Why are you comparing scrubs like Davis (5thround) and Smith (5th) to a high second round Qb that we moved up to get?

Why are you attempting to compare and put so much faith in a second round, spread offense, without a full TC qb over a 7 years vet that went through hell and back , got us to the NFCC game, 2 TDs to VD and 2 fumbles away from the SB.

Because two of the guys that picked him and gave up picks to get him won awards this year. One guy for the ability to scout talent, and the other coach of the year.

/thread.

That's a pretty thin reasoning for expecting CK over Smith next year. Drafting moves are mostly made because of where and how they expect the player they covet in draft in competition with other team that may want him. Not necessarily how they think that player will compete in the following year with the incumbent player. Unless he's sure fire high first rounder that is clearly more talented than the aging incumbent. Like P. Willis over Derek Smith. Or Cam Newton over Alex Smith.

Dude is a quick learner.

He started as a redshirt freshman and started to tear it up.

Kaeprnick could be special, we don't know yet.

He's not like the 6th round bust with a learning disorder or journeymen a*****e team killer Troy Smith, as some suggest. Kaep was drafted higher, is smarter and a much better athlete then both Davis and Smith, even if you combine both of their best attributes.

All we know is that he has heart and wants to start and would thrive in this system if he gets it sooner then quicker. If he comes into pre-season looking legit there will be talk. Its not out of the question considering Harbaugh track record with QBs and holding the clipboard for a year.

That wasn't the question you asked. I made a comment to MadDog which was, why he would equate a guy like Kaep to somone like Nate Davis and Troy Smith? Both Davis and Smith were 5th round throw away picks (I know we didnt draft Smith). High in the second round is not a throw away pick, My comment had nothing to do with Kaep vs Smith. Furthermore, the guys that picked him have proved to be very talented at evaluating talent.

Edit: Looks like I misunderstood your question.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
The only people that think CK can be a meaningful starter next year are the ones that don't like Alex Smith -- want anyone other than. And most likely the same people that were on the nuts of Troy Smith and Nate Davis

This is pure ignorance. I'm a big fan of Alex Smith and want him to succeed no matter where he plays. He has had to deal with ignorant fans booing him and calling him a bust for the first six years of his career. Through all of that he has persevered when there was a much easier way out. He deserved this trip to the playoffs for what he has been through. Now that you know I've been rooting for Alex Smith from day one and will until his career is over, I'm going to let you know I'm still skeptical of his ability as a quarterback and feel it's a huge risk to offer a big dollar long term contract to someone who mostly managed games this season. He could potentially be a star now that he is with a competent staff, but he could also be the 17 touchdown 5int 186 yard per game manager we saw this season. If that is all we get from him in the future, I'd much rather spend that ten million on the reasons we were in the playoffs(defense, special teams) and put a cheap player behind center because we all know Harbaugh will protect them with his defense and running game.

Since you seem to disagree with the essence of my post. This still don't address why you think CK will be ready for a starting job over Smith next year.

I disagree with this Alex Smith hater witch hunt that is going on. It is possible to like the guy but not be sold on the idea of him as an elite quarterback worth big bucks. I did tell you why I believe Kaepernick could be ready and it is entirely Jim Harbaugh. He protects his quarterbacks and will do so no matter who is behind center. The 49ers defense and special teams will put the offense in a position to ask very little of the quarterback. We don't need to spend ten million when we can get similar production for much less money. Harbaugh will protect Kaepernick just like he did this year with Smith. Is that so hard to see happening? I want Smith back next year but only at the right price(2 or 3 years at 6 or 7 million per year max).
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

/thread.

Dude is a quick learner.

He started as a redshirt freshman and started to tear it up.

Kaeprnick could be special, we don't know yet.

He's not like the 6th round bust with a learning disorder or journeymen a*****e team killer Troy Smith, as some suggest. Kaep was drafted higher, is smarter and a much better athlete then both Davis and Smith, even if you combine both of their best attributes.

All we know is that he has heart and wants to start and would thrive in this system if he gets it sooner then quicker. If he comes into pre-season looking legit there will be talk. Its not out of the question considering Harbaugh track record with QBs and holding the clipboard for a year.

This is what I'm getting at in this thread. Too early to say because he was not in a pro style offense coming from college. Which usually means he has to take longer to developed into the NFL going by the rate of 2-3 years to be a starter. I will be very happy if Harbaugh can get him up to speed to be a good back up next year, cause we need one if Smith goes down with injury.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I dont think he'll be able to do it this year... but good luck
Some people believe in Leprechauns and the Tooth Fairy. So what? Doesn't mean he is going to start....

Alex was ranked 9th in QB ranking. He went 14 - 4. Led his team to the NFC Championship. But for KW's fumbles we would have been in the Super Bowl. He had one of the highest QB rankings of playoff QB's. 5 TD's and 0 Int's in the playoffs. 4 pass, 1 rush and 0 int's. He will be tough to unseat.
I disagree with this Alex Smith hater witch hunt that is going on. It is possible to like the guy but not be sold on the idea of him as an elite quarterback worth big bucks. I did tell you why I believe Kaepernick could be ready and it is entirely Jim Harbaugh. He protects his quarterbacks and will do so no matter who is behind center. The 49ers defense and special teams will put the offense in a position to ask very little of the quarterback. We don't need to spend ten million when we can get similar production for much less money. Harbaugh will protect Kaepernick just like he did this year with Smith. Is that so hard to see happening? I want Smith back next year but only at the right price(2 or 3 years at 6 or 7 million per year max).

So in essence you are saying, you believe in Harbaugh's ability to, as some would say 'hide' his qb from game to game (not that I believe Harbaugh was doing that this year) Harbaugh is then able to do the same with Kaep. Hide his short coming as a rookie from a spread offense with 1 full TC. My reasoning would be then, why would Harbaugh want to 'hide' a new QB all over again, this time a second year rookie qb. When he could continued to build on Smith success of this year along with the team. Seems like a step backward to me.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM ]
That wasn't the question you asked. I made a comment to MadDog which was, why he would equate a guy like Kaep to somone like Nate Davis and Troy Smith? Both Davis and Smith were 5th round throw away picks (I know we didnt draft Smith). High in the second round is not a throw away pick, My comment had nothing to do with Kaep vs Smith. Furthermore, the guys that picked him have proved to be very talented at evaluating talent.

Edit: Looks like I misunderstood your question.

Its interesting. One could argue that Smith is very smart but, without the amazing arm. Nate Davis had the amazing arm, but was mentally retarded.
Kaep might be smarter than Smith (could have played for Harvard), but also might have a better arm than Davis.
Then we let Harbaugh mold him into something. Its hard to not get excited about this, whether it works out or not.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Some people believe in Leprechauns and the Tooth Fairy. So what? Doesn't mean he is going to start....

Alex was ranked 9th in QB ranking. He went 14 - 4. Led his team to the NFC Championship. But for KW's fumbles we would have been in the Super Bowl. He had one of the highest QB rankings of playoff QB's. 5 TD's and 0 Int's in the playoffs. 4 pass, 1 rush and 0 int's. He will be tough to unseat.

Wasnt Dilfer replaced after "leading" his team to a SB?
Put Kap in at third down situations, see if that erases the third down woes
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

dilfer didnt make history by bring only qb in nfl history to have 2 scoring drives in last 3 minutes

and dilfer didnt have 5 td 0 int in playoffs either
Originally posted by Joecool:

Check out Dilfer's stats that year, regular season and in the playoffs, his numbers were mostly atrocious, if Alex Smith had played like that, 50% of the people on this site would have had a coronary.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I personally think that this is Alex at his best.. he's maxed out .. Like Vinny Testarverde (another former 1st pick) Alex Smith is a QB who can not carry a team. .. Aside from the last two series vs the Saints, he wasn't that much impressive. And against the Giants, it proves you (and Mike Singletary) that QB "is" the MOST important position in football.

We needed 30+ yards to give this year's best kicker (Akers) a chance to win the game, but Alex just continue to shy away from our WRs down the field. He never gave any of them a chance to make plays.
Share 49ersWebzone