LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex deserves to start next year, Kap will have to wait to get his shot.

Coming from someone who hated Alex the previous 5 years

no reason for him not to start especially after what he did vs NO
[ Edited by ImaMod on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'd be curious to see if his mechanics have improved. There aren't too many successful NFL quarterbacks with a big looping release. College QBs can get away with it but that dog don't hunt in the big leagues.

If CK can learn to put the ball up on his ear and fire away then he'll stand a chance.

Not true, look what Harbaugh says about throwing motion is this video (2:10).

[ Edited by TXNinerFan52 on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM ]
What is he supposed to say: "I suck". Of course, he will say that he is competing for the starting job. However, let's be real. Are the Niners going to hand the keys to unproven guy who wasn't even competitive last season? Especially after Smith signs a five year, $50 million contract. The barrage of CK threads is just another veiled attempt to bash Smith. We have been down this road before with Nate Davis, Troy Smith, and a handful of others. The reality is that CK is fighting to be the number TWO quarterback next year.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
What is he supposed to say: "I suck". Of course, he will say that he is competing for the starting job. However, let's be real. Are the Niners going to hand the keys to unproven guy who wasn't even competitive last season? Especially after Smith signs a five year, $50 million contract. The barrage of CK threads is just another veiled attempt to bash Smith. We have been down this road before with Nate Davis, Troy Smith, and a handful of others. The reality is that CK is fighting to be the number TWO quarterback next year.

agree but prepare to be flamed dude

Why are you comparing scrubs like Davis (5thround) and Smith (5th) to a high second round Qb that we moved up to get?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

agree but prepare to be flamed dude
I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I hope Scott Tolzien push them both. I believe it's Alex's job to lose, but I'm tired of taking baby steps with a QB going into his 7th or 8th year.

you really think smith is gonna get 5 yrs 50 mil after 1 good yr?? you really think the front office is gonna risk alex being a 1 yr wonder and be forced with that contract? if he wants that much im sorry he can find another team, 3 yrs is the max he should get and if he shows improvement then no doubt he deserves to get more yrs extended.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Why are you comparing scrubs like Davis (5thround) and Smith (5th) to a high second round Qb that we moved up to get?

Why are you attempting to compare and put so much faith in a second round, spread offense, without a full TC qb over a 7 years vet that went through hell and back , got us to the NFCC game, 2 TDs to VD and 2 fumbles away from the SB.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM ]
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I hope Scott Tolzien push them both. I believe it's Alex's job to lose, but I'm tired of taking baby steps with a QB going into his 7th or 8th year.

thats not baby steps its how his qbs play look at andrew luck stanford for reference

we were conservative in beginning however that was due to limiteation in playbooks cause of offseaso

numbers will go up however when we get better recievers
  • buck
  • Veteran
I really do not know that much about how Colin Kaepernick is doing.

I liked the pick, but information is hard to get. I guess that to be true for most of us.

1. Harbaugh, if you have not noticed, does not give out a lot of information.
2. I have not seen any practices.
3. I have no friends with inside information.

At the end of season, the QB were stacked like this:

1. Alex Smith
2. Colin Kaepernick
3. Scott Tolzien

I assume that will be the order to begin next year.

I wish them all the best of luck in the coming year.

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The only people that think CK can be a meaningful starter next year are the ones that don't like Alex Smith -- want anyone other than. And most likely the same people that were on the nuts of Troy Smith and Nate Davis

This is pure ignorance. I'm a big fan of Alex Smith and want him to succeed no matter where he plays. He has had to deal with ignorant fans booing him and calling him a bust for the first six years of his career. Through all of that he has persevered when there was a much easier way out. He deserved this trip to the playoffs for what he has been through. Now that you know I've been rooting for Alex Smith from day one and will until his career is over, I'm going to let you know I'm still skeptical of his ability as a quarterback and feel it's a huge risk to offer a big dollar long term contract to someone who mostly managed games this season. He could potentially be a star now that he is with a competent staff, but he could also be the 17 touchdown 5int 186 yard per game manager we saw this season. If that is all we get from him in the future, I'd much rather spend that ten million on the reasons we were in the playoffs(defense, special teams) and put a cheap player behind center because we all know Harbaugh will protect them with his defense and running game.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Why are you attempting to compare and put so much faith in a second round, spread offense, without a full TC qb over a 7 years vet that went through hell and back , got us to the NFCC game, 2 TDs to VD and 2 fumbles away from the SB.

Because two of the guys that picked him and gave up picks to get him won awards this year. One guy for the ability to scout talent, and the other coach of the year.

/thread.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:14 PM ]
The Niners passing offense was one of the worst in the NFL last season. They ranked 29th. So I laugh at anyone who thinks the qb we traded up in the 2nd rd to get has NO CHANCE in a competition against a qb that "led" us to the 29th ranked passing offense this past season.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The Niners passing offense was one of the worst in the NFL last season. They ranked 29th. So I laugh at anyone who thinks the qb we traded up in the 2nd rd to get has NO CHANCE in a competition against a qb that "led" us to the 29th ranked passing offense this past season.

29th yards

11th ranked in points

last time i checked team with most points winn bot more yards
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by nflguy49:

29th yards

11th ranked in points

last time i checked team with most points winn bot more yards

and by that logic

andrew luck should be the 18th qb taken off the board this draft
Share 49ersWebzone