LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Anyone else still really bummed/depressed about the outcome of this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Instead of wallowing in the "woah is me", why not look at what a great season it was. 8-win improvement over 2010...first playoffs in 9 seasons. Finally a head coach who "gets it". 9 players in the Pro Bowl...5 All Pros. Came within a whisker of going to the Super Bowl. All in all, I'd say it was pretty remarkable.
Still can't get over this lose. I feel we lost a grand opportunity to win a championship with a roster/program on the rise. Much like the 2001 Patriots that won an unlikely title & continued to improve

I can't watch ESPN & especially anything to do with the NFL. I can't stomach the media's alter reality perspective of the NFC Title Game and predictability giving the Giants more credit than they deserve

I'm obviously rooting for the Patriots to win
I am not depressed because I never expected to get this far anyway. I have already accepted that this team has limitations that prevent them from winning a championship.

So I am not as depressed as most Niner fans are.

BUT

On the flip side, had the Niners won, I could not have ever of enjoyed it as much as everyone else did too
Its been a horrible time since that loss, im so depressed, we were so close but i had a bad feeling when i heard Ed Hoculi was the ref and when i heard Ted Ginn was out. I think Jim will use it to our advantage and players will be hungrier than ever before. I doubt we will end up 13-3 next year but we will be a play off team and our defence will be even better. We had some great moments in 2011. The Eagles, Steelers and the Lions game stand out, along with the first Giants game. Then the Saints game, what a moment in history.

I became a 49ers fan in 2004 so this was my first winning season, and what a season it was.
  • Veteran
Not me, i am proud of what we accomplished this year. Go Niners!
Bummed, but not depressed. This was a great year. Plus, we WILL be back. This regime is positioning the team to be a contender for a long time. We will get #6 under this coach. Book it.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Bummed, but not depressed. This was a great year. Plus, we WILL be back. This regime is positioning the team to be a contender for a long time. We will get #6 under this coach. Book it.

nothing can top this year
i have not watched TV since Tynes kick went thru the upright... i hate the god damn giants...
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
i have not watched TV since Tynes kick went thru the upright... i hate the god damn giants...

Same thing here.
This loss hurts, being so close to getting back to the big game. But after the last decade of miserable play and coaching, its nice to be in the postseason mix and be relevant again. Can't wait for next season.

It'll really sting to watch the SB
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
It'll really sting to watch the SB

I dont even care. Watching the Giants play knowing we should be there instead. I am tempted to not even watch it.
I'm still severly bothered by it. Just the way we lost. 2 fumbled punts deep, 1 fumble we caused deep on their side and an early whislte, Goldson and other DB's running in to eachother on 2 sure interceptions. Knocking our own player out of the game no less. Then a scrub DB getting picked on as the backup.

So many stupid things happened in this game.

~ Suppose KW doesn't fumble those punts.
~ Suppose Goldson intercepts those 2 rather than running into his own player.

The outcome of the game is different. This truly is and was a game we should have won. It's so maddening....

To go to the Super Bowl no less. What an opportunity wasted. With home field too....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm still severly bothered by it. Just the way we lost. 2 fumbled punts deep, 1 fumble we caused deep on their side and an early whislte, Goldson and other DB's running in to eachother on 2 sure interceptions. Knocking our own player out of the game no less. Then a scrub DB getting picked on as the backup.

So many stupid things happened in this game.

~ Suppose KW doesn't fumble those punts.
~ Suppose Goldson intercepts those 2 rather than running into his own player.

The outcome of the game is different. This truly is and was a game we should have won. It's so maddening....

To go to the Super Bowl no less. What an opportunity wasted. With home field too....

those non-INT's are not a factor...the punt muffs is what NYG scored on and it was there only scores in the 2nd half/OT
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
I saw someone wearing an Alex Smith Jersey today, which I think is the first time ever.

and to answer your question I think I'm almost done venting about how unfortunate this is. It still hurts but I'm guessing as time passes it'll fade away...

The #10 will forever be stuck in my mind as bad luck, the shock of giving the game away in that fashion is what mentally drains me the most, and we all know physical pains heal as the body recovers, but mental pains are just torture.

Hopefully I, along with every fan, are able to move on from what could've been. What kills me is during the press conference with P. Willis, he states something similar to, we didn't think this was it, and basically implying they knew the opportunity was there and what was at risk. Hearing those words from an average player might be slightly depressing, but from a defensive leader in him, it really just left a scar. Our defense doesn't (at least used to) get enough credit and they work so hard to contribute as much to the game as best they can.

Prime example: Clutch wrap-up tackle on 3rd down by Justin Smith to give us an opportunity in OT to seal it. We all see his penetration and how hard he works on those plays where he barely misses the QB cause he got held or pushed, he's an animal and so is the rest of that outstanding Defense.

I guess what I'm doing here (aside from praising the D) is trying to appreciate what got us to this position, and allow us to achieve something that's not only so great, but something no one in this world would believe a little while ago. This defense will be the reason we make it far next season, and I think our staff should do the best job they can to retain these acquisitions cause relying on our Offense certainly wouldn't work.

Best way to deal with this depression, IMO would be to see what our team as a whole has to offer, and our potential. Yeah, next season ain't around the corner, and we gotta watch these b****es play in the SB, but when the time does come, I'm sure everyone will be up and cheering for this team cause we all know what we're capable of.

Making it to the NFC Championship and losing in OT by a muffed punt?

and people want to say we didn't "deserve" to be in the SB... Do me a favor and slap yourself because if we didn't deserve it why in the f*** did we work so damn hard for in building such a strong mental and physical team? Top 2 ranked Defense and people on this board have the nerve...

All I gotta say is Defense wins Championships.

We have a top notch Defense that's incomparable with any other team in the league, so you go ahead and put the puzzle pieces together for what's in store next season.

Good stuff
Share 49ersWebzone