LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

Anyone else still really bummed/depressed about the outcome of this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes because we beat ourselves and thats what hurts the most
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm still severly bothered by it. Just the way we lost. 2 fumbled punts deep, 1 fumble we caused deep on their side and an early whislte, Goldson and other DB's running in to eachother on 2 sure interceptions. Knocking our own player out of the game no less. Then a scrub DB getting picked on as the backup.

So many stupid things happened in this game.

~ Suppose KW doesn't fumble those punts.
~ Suppose Goldson intercepts those 2 rather than running into his own player.

The outcome of the game is different. This truly is and was a game we should have won. It's so maddening....

To go to the Super Bowl no less. What an opportunity wasted. With home field too....

those non-INT's are not a factor...the punt muffs is what NYG scored on and it was there only scores in the 2nd half/OT

Yes but it would have given us short fields and more opportunities to score. So it could have made a difference.
how can some people move on from this damn loss so quick? think about it, we were 2 muffed punt returns away from reaching the sb with a team no one thought can do it. we had such a perfect opportunity this yr with the 1st rd bye, a historic comeback against an offense with a qb who broke the passing yds record, not going to lambeau which is almost a guaranteed loss for this franchise and getting to host the championship game against a 9-7 team that we beat earlier during the yr. all this goes down the drain with 2 damn mistakes we dont make all yr and something every player is taught from high school on is to get away from the damn ball. with the tough ass schedule we got next yr, possible injuries since we were as healthy as any team all yr, possible down yrs by players and etc we can end up playing in the wc rd and go to the road to no or gb.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
how can some people move on from this damn loss so quick? think about it, we were 2 muffed punt returns away from reaching the sb with a team no one thought can do it. we had such a perfect opportunity this yr with the 1st rd bye, a historic comeback against an offense with a qb who broke the passing yds record, not going to lambeau which is almost a guaranteed loss for this franchise and getting to host the championship game against a 9-7 team that we beat earlier during the yr. all this goes down the drain with 2 damn mistakes we dont make all yr and something every player is taught from high school on is to get away from the damn ball. with the tough ass schedule we got next yr, possible injuries since we were as healthy as any team all yr, possible down yrs by players and etc we can end up playing in the wc rd and go to the road to no or gb.

Don't know. It is almost Wednesday and all I can do is think about how we should be playing in the Super Bowl. I have yet to even watch and Sportscenter or NFL Network since the game was over. My girlfriend knows how bad I feel because she knows the first thing I do is turn on ESPN or NFL Network every chance I get.
It's slowly going away. A Patriots win against the NYG will help a lot too. That team does not deserve to be in the SB. 9-7, and getting extremely lucky in GB and SF? Are you kidding me?? Sorry, but that team does not deserve another VL Trophy.
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
I saw someone wearing an Alex Smith Jersey today, which I think is the first time ever.

and to answer your question I think I'm almost done venting about how unfortunate this is. It still hurts but I'm guessing as time passes it'll fade away...

The #10 will forever be stuck in my mind as bad luck, the shock of giving the game away in that fashion is what mentally drains me the most, and we all know physical pains heal as the body recovers, but mental pains are just torture.

Hopefully I, along with every fan, are able to move on from what could've been. What kills me is during the press conference with P. Willis, he states something similar to, we didn't think this was it, and basically implying they knew the opportunity was there and what was at risk. Hearing those words from an average player might be slightly depressing, but from a defensive leader in him, it really just left a scar. Our defense doesn't (at least used to) get enough credit and they work so hard to contribute as much to the game as best they can.

Prime example: Clutch wrap-up tackle on 3rd down by Justin Smith to give us an opportunity in OT to seal it. We all see his penetration and how hard he works on those plays where he barely misses the QB cause he got held or pushed, he's an animal and so is the rest of that outstanding Defense.

I guess what I'm doing here (aside from praising the D) is trying to appreciate what got us to this position, and allow us to achieve something that's not only so great, but something no one in this world would believe a little while ago. This defense will be the reason we make it far next season, and I think our staff should do the best job they can to retain these acquisitions cause relying on our Offense certainly wouldn't work.

Best way to deal with this depression, IMO would be to see what our team as a whole has to offer, and our potential. Yeah, next season ain't around the corner, and we gotta watch these b****es play in the SB, but when the time does come, I'm sure everyone will be up and cheering for this team cause we all know what we're capable of.

Making it to the NFC Championship and losing in OT by a muffed punt?

and people want to say we didn't "deserve" to be in the SB... Do me a favor and slap yourself because if we didn't deserve it why in the f*** did we work so damn hard for in building such a strong mental and physical team? Top 2 ranked Defense and people on this board have the nerve...

All I gotta say is Defense wins Championships.

We have a top notch Defense that's incomparable with any other team in the league, so you go ahead and put the puzzle pieces together for what's in store next season.

Good stuff

Thanks.

I turned the TV off the moment the kick went up straight.

We played a ton of close games all year long. Without a powerful offense, this team will forever be in dog fights trying to win games every year.
What frustrates me is the fact that we had a TON of opportunities at the end to move the ball, our line was blocking great, but we instead did things like throw the checkdown for a two yard gain which continued to run the clock. Why not take a CHANCE? I would have rather seen our team go down fighting and take some chances like the Giants did.
The Giants had the guts to take chances and they deserved to win.

If Williams doesn't fumble, what the hell would our offense do with its 5th opportunity in a row? Score? Lol.

The way I handle these things is by not being emotional about it after its over, but rather try and find solutions.

You have to try really hard. There's no point in hurting yourself. Move on, man. You have no other choice.
this year was just a lil preview of what we're gonna see from here on out. <<<<<<<< that makes me feel better
Originally posted by defenderDX:
this year was just a lil preview of what we're gonna see from here on out. <<<<<<<< that makes me feel better

You mean like the 90's? All those heart breaking losses in the playoffs?

Originally posted by richierich:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

You mean like the 90's? All those heart breaking losses in the playoffs?

Yeah. We had all kinds of elite teams in the 90s.

Won just 1....
I'm still pretty pissed and disappointed about this game.What makes it so hard is that, despite all our f**k ups in the game, we were by far the better team and deserve to be in the SB more the Giants. The Giants did nothing to win this game. Rather, our (as many others have noted) pathetic play calling and Kyle Williams lost it--a fact I was sure to let the idiot Giant Bro-fans know (seriously, these guys were yelling and screaming for every play, even the coin toss in OT). That's whats making this loss so hard to deal with for me. Who knows when we'll have this type of run again, or be playing the NFC CG at home with an amazing D.

Two unconscionable mistakes by Williams cost us the game. When the first punt was in the air, there were 11 minutes left. We had just scored on our previous possession (or two possessions ago) and the D was shutting down Manning. We would have been in position to run the ball, which was working extremely well. Hell, it worked great on that FG drive. Every player in the league knows to yell and run away from that ball; Williams did neither, and then tried to act cool and play if it off like nothing happened rather than getting the ball (which he could have done). He COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE f**kING BALL IF HE TRIED. But the worst part is that all he needed to do was NOTHING. Do NOTHING. On the last fumble, he was too worried about being a hero and making a play. Again, doing NOTHING at all an. Just call for the FC. He was going to gain about 5-10 yards max anyways.

Coaching is also a major reason. At the start of the 2nd half, they said we were going to go back to the run. Our first possession is 3-n-Out using shotgun. I will never understand why we got away from the run in the 2nd half. The conditions called for it, the s**tty passing game called for it, and the Giants COULD NOT STOP the run. Gore was getting 4-5 YPC every time he touched the ball; Hunter was gaining even more. Instead, we got pass happy for no reason. We gave Dixon 2 incredibly important short yardage carries that he failed to convert. Gore has to be the guy there, and if not Hunter. We call cutsey bull-s**t like the reverse in the driving rain and the 2nd and 5 play where Smith fakes a fumble. It's ironic. The first half of the season, I felt we were too run centric and conservative; I went to the game vs. the Skins and we had 2 or 3 possessions inside their 15 where we just went run-run-run and ended up kicking the FG. Later in the year, starting with at AZ, we went too far the other way. We stick with the run and we win the game. Giving Gore 2 touches in the last 4 possessions is unbelievable. I and the entire Niner -fan contingent were yelling for the run, and we just didn't do it. When we did late, it was out of the shotgun and on downs and distances predisposing us to failure. WE RUN THE f**kING BALL WE WIN THE GODDAMN GAME. INstead, Harbaugh/Roman/Chryst try to make Alex Smith the hero, when the only guy getting open was VD (who I can't say enough about. I was disappointed in his play earlier this year, but he came on strong and is playing better than ever. His postseason play was just amazing. He started catching the ball cleanly and over the shoulder like he's never done before. Keep this up and he's gonna have a great year next year).

All in all, I feel that I've never seen a team less-deserving of their SB berth than the Giants. Our D played their asses off and dominated the entire 2nd half. They deserved to go to the SB. Gore and Davis deserved to go to the SB. Instead, Kyle Williams gifted them 10 points with his asinine play (their TD was on a 3rd n 15...I don't know what DB coverage was there but we shouldn't have given that up...still Williams put them in that position) and the coaches called an offensive game plan in the 2nd half right into their hands. WE gifted them that game. They did NOTHING to win it.

That's why this is so crushing to me.
Thanks fellas

I'm somewhat over it,.......more like I don't want to think about it type of attitude.

I felt ALOT of omens about that game:

Ginn was out
We RECEIVED the kickoff
Time of possession was on the Giants side by the 2nd quarter
TBrown not moving for a minute.
STUPID RAIN
C.Rogers getting outplayed for the first time since facing L.Fitz.

I'm good now, but I'm moving on the real Giants in sports the SF Giants!

Originally posted by merm49:
I'm still pretty pissed and disappointed about this game.What makes it so hard is that, despite all our f**k ups in the game, we were by far the better team and deserve to be in the SB more the Giants. The Giants did nothing to win this game. Rather, our (as many others have noted) pathetic play calling and Kyle Williams lost it--a fact I was sure to let the idiot Giant Bro-fans know (seriously, these guys were yelling and screaming for every play, even the coin toss in OT). That's whats making this loss so hard to deal with for me. Who knows when we'll have this type of run again, or be playing the NFC CG at home with an amazing D.

Two unconscionable mistakes by Williams cost us the game. When the first punt was in the air, there were 11 minutes left. We had just scored on our previous possession (or two possessions ago) and the D was shutting down Manning. We would have been in position to run the ball, which was working extremely well. Hell, it worked great on that FG drive. Every player in the league knows to yell and run away from that ball; Williams did neither, and then tried to act cool and play if it off like nothing happened rather than getting the ball (which he could have done). He COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE f**kING BALL IF HE TRIED. But the worst part is that all he needed to do was NOTHING. Do NOTHING. On the last fumble, he was too worried about being a hero and making a play. Again, doing NOTHING at all an. Just call for the FC. He was going to gain about 5-10 yards max anyways.

Coaching is also a major reason. At the start of the 2nd half, they said we were going to go back to the run. Our first possession is 3-n-Out using shotgun. I will never understand why we got away from the run in the 2nd half. The conditions called for it, the s**tty passing game called for it, and the Giants COULD NOT STOP the run. Gore was getting 4-5 YPC every time he touched the ball; Hunter was gaining even more. Instead, we got pass happy for no reason. We gave Dixon 2 incredibly important short yardage carries that he failed to convert. Gore has to be the guy there, and if not Hunter. We call cutsey bull-s**t like the reverse in the driving rain and the 2nd and 5 play where Smith fakes a fumble. It's ironic. The first half of the season, I felt we were too run centric and conservative; I went to the game vs. the Skins and we had 2 or 3 possessions inside their 15 where we just went run-run-run and ended up kicking the FG. Later in the year, starting with at AZ, we went too far the other way. We stick with the run and we win the game. Giving Gore 2 touches in the last 4 possessions is unbelievable. I and the entire Niner -fan contingent were yelling for the run, and we just didn't do it. When we did late, it was out of the shotgun and on downs and distances predisposing us to failure. WE RUN THE f**kING BALL WE WIN THE GODDAMN GAME. INstead, Harbaugh/Roman/Chryst try to make Alex Smith the hero, when the only guy getting open was VD (who I can't say enough about. I was disappointed in his play earlier this year, but he came on strong and is playing better than ever. His postseason play was just amazing. He started catching the ball cleanly and over the shoulder like he's never done before. Keep this up and he's gonna have a great year next year).

All in all, I feel that I've never seen a team less-deserving of their SB berth than the Giants. Our D played their asses off and dominated the entire 2nd half. They deserved to go to the SB. Gore and Davis deserved to go to the SB. Instead, Kyle Williams gifted them 10 points with his asinine play (their TD was on a 3rd n 15...I don't know what DB coverage was there but we shouldn't have given that up...still Williams put them in that position) and the coaches called an offensive game plan in the 2nd half right into their hands. WE gifted them that game. They did NOTHING to win it.

That's why this is so crushing to me.

You said it exactly. Every single WZer needs to read this. I agree 100% with this.....
merm49 great f**king post
Share 49ersWebzone