LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

Originally posted by ace49ers:
I like the part at the end 'can you feel Candlestick', what a line.

I felt it from 2099 miles away.
Is this a real question? Hell no... he made it way better. Made it a classic. Genuine excitement and emotion.
I dont think so...I work in sports radio and technically he did but the pure amazement of the moment would allow a reaction like that.
Amazing throw. Great catch. Great call. Forever ingrained in my memory.

Go Niners!
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I dont think so...I work in sports radio and technically he did but the pure amazement of the moment would allow a reaction like that.

I like how he saw the play unfold before it happened. He said he had it before Alex threw (although he was about to throw).
Personally, I thought it was a lousy call. He used too few and too many words. Either you go laconic, or you go Hindenburg. You don't do both--exactly when does that rambling call end? Davis' wooping was fine by me, indeed it's the key point of interest in a botched call and it mercifully put an end to Robinson's futile efforts to come up with anything that resembled a nice tight call. All the kudos go to Mr. Davis for putting down that disoriented, wounded animal.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Personally, I thought it was a lousy call. He used too few and too many words. Either you go laconic, or you go Hindenburg. You don't do both--exactly when does that rambling call end? Davis' wooping was fine by me, indeed it's the key point of interest in a botched call and it mercifully put an end to Robinson's futile efforts to come up with anything that resembled a nice tight call. All the kudos go to Mr. Davis for putting down that disoriented, wounded animal.

Yeah. I agree mate.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
To be honest, the whole thing made me wish we still had Joe Starkey. He would have screamed something memorable.

It made me wish we still had Lon Simmons.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I like the part at the end 'can you feel Candlestick', what a line.

I felt it from 2099 miles away.

this is true. Watching on TV you could still feel the excitement.
Originally posted by jdean:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
To be honest, the whole thing made me wish we still had Joe Starkey. He would have screamed something memorable.

It made me wish we still had Lon Simmons.

I remember in 2002 when the SF Giants brought back Lon to work the World Series (rotating innings with Kuip and Miller)....wish KNBR would do the same with Starkey and bring him back for the playoffs (rotate with Ted and have Starkey do the 2nd and 4th qtrs)

Oh I thought it was great. I was listening to Albert and Moose on TV and I know they have to keep it professional but it's times like these where you really miss Madden/Summerall. BUT I was actually happy they were the ones to call the game more so than any other commentator because they had followed the Niners game throughout this whole season.
In all reality the over emotion for ED was a little unproffessional, but its oner of those that people slip up on with great reason. They know it in the booth too, because after Davis says WOOHOO they start giggling about it a little. But who cares, ONE WIN AWAY FROM THE SUPERBOWL!
What I wanna ask the people calling Eric unprofessional, how would you have reacted differently, especially if you were a former player? What makes that great is that he IS a professional, but when that play went down, he reacted just the same as any of us, and probably every Niner that has ever been true to the team. I would love to see how Joe and Jerry and Dwight and all the other great Niners reacted to it, it was a momentous iconic moment in the history of this franchise that has had a few great plays through the years. Even the non Niner fans that were watching the game with me were shocked, stunned and stupefied at how that game ended. How can you fault a guy that loves his team so much almost 20 years after he last wore the jersey that he explodes with the raw emotion of the moment. To me the Catch wasn't even as emotional as what transpired on that day in January at Candlestick. Only thing left now is to finish with a championship.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
What I wanna ask the people calling Eric unprofessional, how would you have reacted differently, especially if you were a former player? What makes that great is that he IS a professional, but when that play went down, he reacted just the same as any of us, and probably every Niner that has ever been true to the team. I would love to see how Joe and Jerry and Dwight and all the other great Niners reacted to it, it was a momentous iconic moment in the history of this franchise that has had a few great plays through the years. Even the non Niner fans that were watching the game with me were shocked, stunned and stupefied at how that game ended. How can you fault a guy that loves his team so much almost 20 years after he last wore the jersey that he explodes with the raw emotion of the moment. To me the Catch wasn't even as emotional as what transpired on that day in January at Candlestick. Only thing left now is to finish with a championship.

The problem I have with it is before the play even develops... he goes "Got him" and it totally f**ks Ted Robinson up.
I don't have an issue with the "whooohoo" part. Its he called the play before it even happened, interrupting TR.

This is just my personal taste I am not critiquing ED at all. He obviously is a professional and I am not.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Hitman49.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Is this a real question? Hell no... he made it way better. Made it a classic. Genuine excitement and emotion.

the key word is GENUINE....
Share 49ersWebzone